Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

So... what you're arguing is that Pleasant "went into business for himself," did entirely the opposite of what Campbell and Glenn game planned all week, and come Sunday just shrugged and said, "Eh, we'll run with it," without any signs of protest during the game, attempted no changes to the game plan Pleasant unilaterally installed for the secondary, and then waited forty-eight hours to fire this clearly dishonest and duplicitous position coach, all the while talking him up as he was kicked out the door?

That doesn't sound at least a little bit... absurd to you? I mean, I get that it's the Lions and all, but Christ... that's kinda far-fetched even for the Lions, don't you think?

Especially when the much simpler (and much more Lions-like) explanation is right in front of you; that the Lions secondary sucked shit last Sunday, was going to suck shit no matter what scheme they were running, and that Campbell and Glenn are trying to cover their ass by offering Pleasant up as a scapegoat?
    Ugh... your impeccable logic, reason, facts and evidence only serve to more concretely crush our hope. If we were stupid and ignorant we could be hoping for 11-6 to start today, or at minimum a competent offseason and competitive 2023.
    "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
    Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      No, I'm saying we don't know the whole story.
      Well, that's the story that follows what Campbell and Glenn said from their own mouths and what we saw with our own eyes. There's really no way to spin their own words that don't eventually distill down to either (1) they're idiots, or (2) they're lying. Okay, I guess it could be both, but for this particular scenario, it seems to me that (2) is the far more likely scenario... but hey, I'm open to accepting (1). God knows they'd hardly be the first completely bumbling fools the Lions have hired.
      Last edited by chemiclord; November 3, 2022, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        Like I said, we don't know the whole story. Prior to the game on the pregame Lomas and TJ were skeptical of the strategy because it's hard to press those receivers and nobody tries.

We did have Amani Onuriware try to press Theilen earlier in the year and had a thousand penalties.

Campbell has every right to fire coaches based on results. And if he doesn't get results he will get fired.
        And yet the DL coach escapes ant scrutiny or lose his job:

I'm surprised your buying this bs Froot
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I'm not buying anything futureshock, I'm saying we don't know the whole story. What can't you fellas understand about that? Don't attack me for saying it.

Todd Wash maybe should be on the hot seat as well. There is underachievement all around. I'm the one saying if things don't improve this season that Holmes and Campbell should both be gone, but it doesn't mean Campbell shouldn't be able to fire assistant coaches to try and improve the situation.

Comment

• Do we really need the "whole story?" What sort of context could possibly shake this out in a way that makes all the actions taken and all the words said entirely reasonable?

Comment

• I think it's pretty clear I think we don't have enough information, you don't, no biggie.

Comment

• I think Froot is being facetious Chemi
                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Chances are "The rest of the story <in my Paul Harvey voice> will make them look even more dubious. IDK if I need more of the story.

Comment

• The issue isn't the firing. The issue is the story they've constructed around the firing; which makes very little sense and doesn't reflect well on them at all, regardless of interpretation, because there's no interpretation of it that doesn't end with them either being absolute buffoons, or poor liars.

Comment

The issue isn't the firing. The issue is the story they've constructed around the firing; which makes very little sense and doesn't reflect well on them at all, regardless of interpretation, because there's no interpretation of it that doesn't end with them either being absolute buffoons, or poor liars.
                      Why are you now attacking orchestral instruments?

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Buffoons, not bassoons, ya crazy Scottish bellend.

Yes, I know that's a tautology.

Comment

Buffoons, not bassoons, ya crazy Scottish bellend.

Yes, I know that's a tautology.

Reel Them In Gone Fishin GIF by Football Australia
                          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                            I think Froot is being facetious Chemi
                            Not being facetious in the least. I just don't think we know the whole story and truthfully it doesn't matter to me. Campbell is within his right to fire any assistant to try and improve the product on the field. If they don't improve he is getting the Ziggy.

Maybe Pleasant was scapegoated or maybe he was not coaching them sufficiently. Who knows. Maybe the Miami game was the last straw. But it's not like firing a position coach buys you time if the results don't improve. Campbell isn't going to get another year because he fired Aubrey Pleasant. He may get another year for a whole host of reasons, but he has the right to fire coaches in season. It is shocking for the Lions because you kind of have to go back to the Lions under Wayne to see an in season firing.

Comment

• Anthony Lynn wasn't technically fired mid last season ... but basically
                              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Yeah, I mean like a coaching staff, I include the Lynn situation in the same bucket. It seems like every succeeding coaching staff after Wayne was real stubborn about keeping their guys even if shit wasn't working. Campbell is the first one to do something like that since Wayne. It doesn't mean it's going to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X