Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

QBs are routinely playing into their 40s so a QBs age doesn't scare me. If his age comes into play you already have done well by having the guy do good enough to be your guy for 15 years. Hand size, height and weight are bigger issues then age.
    The age is a concern if you think he has seperated himself because he is a 24 year old playing against kids 2 or 3 years younger.

Comment

• I always thought Campbell was a clown from day 1. Hell, he wasn’t even a good player either. He’s always been subpar since he’s been in the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
        Hock + early 4th + early 4th = late 2nd + late 3rd?

Eh... what could we have gotten as a compensatory pick if we just let his ass walk?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we already picked up his 5th year option, so we would have him for one more year at a reasonable contract, and he would be in a contract year and thus give the ol' money effort. Nobody knows the compensatory pick formula, so no guarantee we'd get anything... but another year of top-20 TE production and a free 3rd is probably better than what we got.
        I think this is more about cap space than anything. For whatever reason this staff never emphasized Hockenson or the Tight End position in general in the passing game, so it doesn't make sense to pay him 10 million next year.

The scary thing is this staff so far has not shown much ability to spend money wisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
          I always thought Campbell was a clown from day 1. Hell, he wasn’t even a good player either. He’s always been subpar since he’s been in the NFL.
          A lot of coaches and GMs/Presidents of teams in a lot of sports weren't very good players. It is rare to have a guy be a good player and a good coach. Especially in the NFL.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

I think this is more about cap space than anything. For whatever reason this staff never emphasized Hockenson or the Tight End position in general in the passing game, so it doesn't make sense to pay him 10 million next year.

The scary thing is this staff so far has not shown much ability to spend money wisely.
            Any LAR or NO player up for FA that would be worth it?
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Rich Hill Trade Chart points*:
              MN gets: Hockenson, 2023 R4 (38 points), 2024 R4 (32)
              DET gets: 2023 R2 (91), 2024 R3 (50) *2024 estimates
              Vikes relinquish 71 points.
              Upshot: Vikes acquired Hockenson for equivalent of No. 69 overall pick.
              Steal for exactly what they needed.

The weaknesss of this is that it does not factor in salaries....I think this was a salary dump as much as anything....Rumors were that the Lions were considering giving him the extension but had a change of heart.

Last edited by ghandi; November 2, 2022, 09:23 AM.

Comment

If you have them on a short leash next year, you should fire them now. This is a very consequential off-season you shouldn't be saddling the next regime with picks made to keep their job. It can't be a short leash, you are either in with them or not.
                I don't see them being fired this year. If next year starts off 0-4 or 0-5 I can't seem them staying either.

I think they have already been told something, I'm guessing at what is is. But they know where they stand, and they just traded away a talented player. That move doesn't strike me as something someone who had their job threatened would do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meano.Culpa View Post
                  Fifth-year option is guaranteed money. Trading Hockenson frees up $9.4 million in 2023 cap space that Holmes couldn't have gotten back by cutting Hockenson.

Other plausible 2023 cap space moves:
                  • $10 million from releasing Brockers
                  • $20 million from cutting Goff
                  • $7.5 million if they've decided Romeo Okwara is never coming back
                  • $6.6 million if Vaitai is gone
                  So, call it $55 million in cap space and five picks in the top 65? Should be able to find a DT, 2x LB, and a couple of defensive backs.

Tanking, so keep St. Brown, Cephus, and Jameson on the sidelines for the rest of '22 to be healthy for '23 OTAs. Raymond & Reynolds are much better WR 3/4/depth than WR 1/2.

Go get one of: {Geno Smith, Jimmy Garoppalo, Jacoby Brissett} in free agency and draft Young, Stroud, Levis, or Hooker.

Then, all the Allen Park brain trust needs is for the staff to coach the guys up and stay healthy.

Ah, shoot. Ran out of Kool-Aid.
                  This is actually a great sounding plan to me other than sidelining players. Have to develop the young guys now. Raymond and Reynolds should be nowhere "3" on the depth chart next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                    But if they think they're gonna draft this team into greatness, they will be sadly disappointed. At some point they will need to add some veteran star players to supplement the kiddies.
                    I agree, but not until you have a foundation that was built in the draft. You cannot spend your way to greatness either. Bad contracts catch up quick. And right now, all Detroit could do to entire FA is bad contracts.

It all starts with a foundation.

Comment

I disagree. What bad contracts or unwisely spent money has happened with Campbell here? A couple short prove it contracts that hurt nothing going forward and maybe Goff.

They've dug out of the bad paying contract hell.

Comment

• The DJ Chark contact was terrible

Comment

• Agree. One could argue market value. But, Chark is, as we know now, damaged goods. At the least, Holmes needs to be a bit more skeptical with injuries. He should have put some things in that contract that were based on games played, or being available. His medical staff has let him down immensely.

Comment

• Kreton is giving them credit for contracts that allegedly don't hurt them in the future. It's as if this is the only thing that matters. At some point you have to find productive players and that might include spending that hurts your cap in the future.

The Chark contract was all sorts of terrible. He was injured last year, he is I jured this year. He cost 10 million dollars and it hurts them the next two seasons even though he isn't under contract.

Comment

• A- or B+

Syndication: Detroit Free Press POLL: What grade do you give the T.J. Hockenson trade?

By Ryan Mathe

Comment

• Syndication: Detroit Free Press

Filed under:Survey: Did the Lions improve after recent roster and coaching staff moves?

By Erik Schlitt

I = Incomplete

Comment

Working...
                                X