X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions trade T.J. Hockenson to Vikings

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 1, 2022, 12:31 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions have traded one of their most talented players to a division rival.

Tight end T.J. Hockenson has been traded from Detroit to Minnesota, according to multiple reports.

The full terms of the deal are the Vikings sending a 2023 second-round pick and a 2024 fourth-round pick to Detroit in exchange for Hockenson, a 2023 fourth-round pick and a 2024 conditional fourth-round pick.

For the 6-1 Vikings, this move shows they think they’re Super Bowl contenders, and they want to add one more playmaker before this afternoon’s NFL trade deadline.

For the 1-6 Lions, this move shows they’re packing it in on this season and looking ahead to 2023 and beyond.

Hockenson arrived in Detroit as the eighth overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. He’s currently in the fourth year of his rookie contract. The Lions picked up his fifth-year option, so the Vikings now inherit his guaranteed 2023 salary of $9.392 million.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

Maybe. But he wasn't jamming recievers either.

No seriously, they don't use the TE enough to warrant giving him the second contract he's looking for. Which was my main argument against going there in the beginning

This is what he's talking about:

The season was over before the bye week anyway, and why cut a guy when you can get something out of him, I am ok with it, but TJ showed flashes of great talent, please note I said Talent.

Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Few thoughts:

- Sad that Hockenson is gone. Seems like the Lions just drafted him because that last few years have gone by so fast (thanks to Covid). I like the trade compensation though. Assumed it would be much less.

- Hockenson’s production with the Lions doesn’t warrant the money he’s seeking.

- Was it worth it to draft Hockenson at #8? Nope. Brian Burns was it. https://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...g-pick-of-a-te

- Better draft capital for the Lions. Paving the way for that Lamar Jackson trade in a few months…

- 2024 NFL Draft is in Detroit. How excited are you for another high draft TE Detroit Lions selection in Brock Bowers. All us Lions fans in the crowd will surely be excited. …. We’ll see if Brock Wright or James Mitchell can show promise prior to then.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Do we still have....

DEEZ NUTZ?

The only problem I have is the in-division thing. 2 revenge games a year for him. Every year.

Also, is the MIN GM the only guy that will give Holmes a decent deal? Snead will pick up the phone to fleece him, though.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ken View Post

The season was over before the bye week anyway, and why cut a guy when you can get something out of him, I am ok with it, but TJ showed flashes of great talent, please note I said Talent.
            He did have another year under his current contract and they could have gotten him for another year after that too, but I get it. The question that we will not know for years is was it worth it? If you don't draft good HEALTHY players, why bother?

Comment

• Hock traded to Vikings

Comment

• Hockenson was one of the most puzzling players to ever run through Detroit. I jokingly made the comparison to Ebron with the big difference was he kept his mouth shut. I think he was a little better than that because we saw a few games where he was amazing, when he got the ball he was a freight train and he looked the part. But most of the games he was just OK. I don't watch enough Lion film to tell you why this was. I think he will do well in Minnesota, but the Lions can't pay big money to a guy they don't know how to use or is very inconsistent.

The draft picks are nice, but the key point to this trade was the 10 million in cap space.

Comment

• Never mind I had breaking news but my phone let me down
                  Im going to name it Leo

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
                    Lions trade Hock
                    You posted that like 3 times!
                    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I could be misreading him but his body language when the camerat's were on him never showed a person enjoying himself too often, he always looked like he was working, Goff who always looks like his birtday was rpped away even shows glimmers of fun and enjoyment.

Remember all the camp reviews of how TJ was tearing up the Defense wiht Stafford slinging the ball into tight windows etc, then the regular season hit and it was crickets.
                      Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• There's a degree that you don't get better shipping off your talented players. Tearing it down only works if you have any intention of building back up, which a lot of the teams that do this (like in MLB, for example) really don't have any commitment to doing.

That said, the Lions were in a No-Man's-Land with Hockenson. He hadn't really earned a second contract, wasn't really going to get the opportunity to earn one in the time he had left, and the better part of valor was to get something for him rather than nothing.

Comment

• My phone was effing up and I kept trying to post it and it said error
                          Campbell was hot after the game and when he said they didn’t do their game plan I knew something was up.
                          Coaches can’t go rogue or let the players choose what to do.
                          Mot surprised that a coach was let go.

Comment

• That 4th round conditional better be very conditional otherwise that’s t a pretty shitty trade - sending out a good player to a division rival to move up what could end up being less than 1/2 round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                              That 4th round conditional better be very conditional otherwise that’s t a pretty shitty trade - sending out a good player to a division rival to move up what could end up being less than 1/2 round.
                              Holmes basically traded Hockenson for a second rounder. That's... not bad. That Hockenson was taken in the first to begin with wasn't Holmes's fault. He got the best anyone could have reasonably hoped for.

Comment

• Yeah my bad. Though I saw it was. 3rd to Detroit, not a 2nd. So it’s more like they got the value of a 3rd. (Vikings will have a late 2nd and a lions gave up a high 4th)

Comment

Working...
                                X