Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
    James Mitchell, noooooo. Both Zylstra and Mitchell missing the cut wasn’t on my bingo card.

Loren Strickland and Michael Niese make the initial 53… interesting…

There’s always surprises when compared to the beginning of training camp. Isaiah Williams, Parker Hesse, Michael Niese, Ben Niemann, Hogan Hatten, and Loren Strickland emerging over the last month fits that category. Good for them. Now I need to read up and learn about these guys outside of the vague notes over the last month.
    James Mitchell has been almost a total zero since arriving. He won't be missed. Zylstra is a one trick pony, only a luxury.

Comment

• all-22 guy did a breakdown on Patrick last week. Pretty insightful of him to anticipate that

edit: a bonus to this signing is that you know that MCDC asked Payton about him and should feel somewhat comfortable that he won't be a locker room problem.
      Last edited by El Axe; August 28, 2024, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• TWENTYMAN: Breaking down the initial 53-man roster

Aug 27, 2024 at 04:21 PM
        Tim Twentyman

Senior Writer
        Today is the day every general manager and head coach around the NFL hates. It's roster cut-down day, and Detroit has pared their roster down to an initial 52.

It's important to note this is an initial roster because more moves could be on the horizon throughout the week as players become available around the league.

"I mentioned the other day, tough time of year," Lions head coach Dan Campbell said Monday. "The appreciation we have for these guys that laid it on the line, gave everything they had. A number of these guys, the lost art of when your body doesn't feel good, you've got the bumps and bruises and the just – for those guys that can continue to just push, those guys – it means a lot, it really does.

"Because that's what this game is, it's still a physical game and you have to be able to put that stuff behind you and still produce. So, tough 48 hours coming up, but really appreciate these guys."

Detroit can begin building their 16-man practice squad starting Wednesday.

Here is my breakdown of the initial 53:

(Note: The Lions still have one spot remaining)

QUARTERBACK (2)

On the roster: Jared Goff, Hendon Hooker

Missing cut: Nate Sudfeld, Jake Fromm

Twentyman: The Lions opt to go with two quarterbacks on the initial 53 which allows them to squeeze out another roster spot somewhere else that could have more impact in the long run. Campbell wants to continue to see steady development from Hooker, and giving him the backup/scout team reps throughout the regular season is a way to ensure that. I wouldn't be surprised if Sudfeld or Fromm is brought back on the practice squad.

RUNNING BACK (4)

On the roster: David Montgomery, Jahmyr Gibbs, Craig Reynolds, Sione Vaki

Missing cut: Jermar Jefferson, Zonovan Knight, Jake Funk

Twentyman: It's one of the best running back rooms in football with depth and versatility. We know Vaki is going to be a core special teamer from Day 1, but can he work his way into a role on offense, potentially on third down, sooner rather than later? Montgomery and Gibbs were close to each running for 1,000 yards last year and hitting those marks is a goal for both this season.

Campbell on roster cutdown

WIDE RECEIVER (4)

On the roster: Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jameson Williams, Kalif Raymond, Isaiah Williams

Missing cut: Donovan Peoples-Jones, Daurice Fountain, Kaden Davis, Maurice Alexander, Tom Kennedy, Jalon Calhoun

Twentyman: I'm guessing there was a lot of discussion regarding the final spot here and it certainly doesn't seem like the Lions are done adding to the roster at receiver with just four players at the position after the first wave of cuts. I expect Holmes to scour the waiver wire and still add via roster cuts from around the league. In the end, Fountain and Peoples-Jones just didn't make plays consistently enough to earn a spot. Isaiah Williams earned his inclusion as a playmaker throughout camp and the preseason.

TIGHT END (3)

On the roster: Sam LaPorta, Brock Wright, Parker Hesse

Missing cut: James Mitchell, Shane Zylstra, Sean McKeon

Twentyman: This was the most experienced and talented group of tight ends the Lions have had in camp in my tenure with the team. It's a really good one-two punch between LaPorta and Wright. Hesse's versatility likely got him the nod over Mitchell. Hesse can play some fullback and is a plus blocker as a tight end. One or two of the players not making the cut could be asked back to the practice squad.

OFFENSIVE LINE (10)

On the roster: Penei Sewell, Taylor Decker, Frank Ragnow, Graham Glasgow, Kevin Zeitler, Dan Skipper, Colby Sorsdal, Giovanni Manu, Kayode Awosika, Michael Niese

Missing cut: Kingsley Eguakun, Bryan Hudson, Jake Burton, Jamarco Jones, Duke Clemens

Reserve/Non-football illness list: Christian Mahogany.

Twentyman: We all know who the top five are. Skipper, Awosika and Sorsdal were key depth players last season that the coaching staff trust. Niese had a good camp and adds even more depth at a position the Lions view as vital to their success in 2024. Manu still has a lot of developing to do but the Lions are vested in his future and development after taking him in the fourth round of this year's NFL Draft.

DEFENSIVE LINE (9)

On the roster: Aidan Hutchinson, Marcus Davenport, DJ Reader, Alim McNeill, Levi Onwuzurike, Josh Paschal, Mekhi Wingo, John Cominsky, James Houston

Missing cut: Isaac Ukwu, Kyle Peko, Mathieu Betts, Chris Smith, Pat O'Connor

Reserve/Injured: Brodric Martin

Waived/Injured: David Bada

Twentyman: That last spot on the edge was probably a tough decision. In the end, the Lions couldn't ignore the raw talent Houston has as a pure pass rusher. He was never a doubt for me. He's not a really versatile player, but there are worse things to be really good at than rushing the quarterback and the Lions couldn't deny that. An IR designation to return could still be in the works for Cominsky as he rehabs a knee injury. I'm guessing there will be a number of these players who didn't make the cut who will be asked back to the practice squad. The initial numbers are a little light but overall it's a talented and deep defensive line group.

Hooker on final preseason game

LINEBACKERS (6)

On the roster: Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell, Derrick Barnes, Malcolm Rodriguez, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Ben Niemann

Missing cut: Mitchell Agude, Abraham Beauplan, Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Ty Summers

Twentyman: Nothing really surprising here. This has been the position group with the most stability all offseason and into camp. Look for breakout seasons from Campbell and Barnes, who has really settled into the starting SAM role. Niemann is a terrific special teamer. This group is the heartbeat of the Lions' defense.

DEFENSIVE BACK (11)

On the roster: Carlton Davis III, Terrion Arnold, Amik Robertson, Ennis Rakestraw Jr., Kindle Vildor, Khalil Dorsey, Brian Branch, Kerby Joseph, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Brandon Joseph, Loren Strickland

Reserve/Injured: CB Emmanuel Moseley

Missing cut: C.J. Moore, Steven Gilmore, Essang Bassey, Javelin Guidry, Chelen Garnes, Rachad Wildgoose

Twentyman: The Lions went a little heavy here with all the new faces in the room and some of the scheme changes set for the back end of Aaron Glenn's defense. Detroit completely revamped their cornerback room this offseason including the move of Branch from nickel cornerback to safety. This group is much more talented than last year's unit coming out of camp and it's much deeper too. Strickland, an undrafted rookie safety, made the cut as the Lions kept five safeties on the roster with Melifonwu dealing with an injury that doesn't have a defined timeline as of yet. This has the chance to be the most improved position group on the entire roster.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

On the roster: Jake Bates (K), Jack Fox (P), Hogan Hatten (LS)

Missing cut: Scott Daly (LS)

Twentyman: It was a little bit of a shaky start to camp for Bates, but he settled into the kicking role nicely by the end of camp and was good in the preseason games. His big leg gives Campbell more options around the middle of the football field. Fox is one of the best punters in the league. The Lions opted for the more versatile Hatten at long snapper. He can play some linebacker in a pinch and offers more as a cover man in punt coverage.

Comment

• Six thoughts as Lions make final roster decisions

Nolan Bianchi
          The Detroit News

The dust has begun to settle on cut-down day, and with the Detroit Lions releasing their initial 53-man roster Tuesday (disclaimer: there are only 52 players on it), weeks of deliberation about who's in and who's out are over.

Here are some thoughts on the decisions that were:

Quarterbacks Nate Sudfeld, Jake Fromm released; Hendon Hooker officially No. 2

Kudos, Dan Campbell. You had us all fooled. Perhaps he simply wanted to keep expectations low for Hooker, who has now assumed the No. 2 role in Detroit’s quarterback room. But there was a pretty overwhelming belief that Sudfeld would find his way to the 53-man roster because, as Campbell said repeatedly, Sudfeld had the upper hand while Hooker continued to work things out in what's essentially his redshirt-freshman season.

If not for Jake Fromm coming in and having a surprisingly efficient performance in the waning moments of Saturday’s preseason finale, I’d say it’s a no-brainer the Lions would try to bring Sudfeld back to the practice squad. The Lions have routinely praised his ability to get starter Jared Goff ready during game weeks.
          But Campbell’s comments about Fromm, who signed with the Lions on Aug. 13 after Hooker suffered a concussion, have given me pause because he mentioned how quickly the fourth-string quarterback picked up the Lions' playbook despite not getting a ton of practice reps.

“He (was) really insurance if you have to have a guy come and give handoffs. I mean, this guy has learned the offense, like, he’s on it, and we don’t have an easy offense to learn … especially … at the quarterback position.”

Complete list:Lions players kept and cut

One thing we’ll be watching for is whether the Lions move on from Sudfeld altogether and make Fromm, who has a bit more upside, Goff’s study companion on the practice squad.

Wide receiver: Donovan Peoples-Jones, Daurice Fountain released; Lions only keep four receivers

It would have been surprising to hear in June that Peoples-Jones ended up where he did, but it was only a few days into training camp when it became apparent that getting cut could be a reality. The ex-Cass Tech and ex-Michigan receiver failed his conditioning test and never appeared to recover. Over 60 preseason routes, Peoples-Jones received nine targets and caught just two for 31 yards, getting shut out in the finale against Pittsburgh.

While I included Peoples-Jones and Daurice Fountain, who was also released by the team Tuesday, in my 53-man roster projections, it always felt like they were simply in by default — guys who fit the profile of something the Lions didn’t have otherwise.

The Lions reportedly signed former Denver Broncos receiver Tim Patrick to the practice squad, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, though he won't count toward the 53-man roster unless he's elevated, so that roster spot will remain open, for now.

Defensive end: James Houston in; Isaac Ukwu, Mitchell Agude out

Of all the successful rookie seasons Brad Holmes has overseen as general manager of the Lions, the first-year production of Houston — a sixth-rounder out of Jackson State who had eight sacks in seven games — was like Steph Curry putting a 35-footer through the nylon after starting an NBA Finals game with four straight 3-pointers.

But development is not always linear and it seemed like the Lions’ desire to make Houston a well-rounded player at SAM linebacker was going to end with the team giving up on the player entirely. He was relegated to the second and third teams in 2023 training camp and then missed most of the regular season due to an ankle injury before the team unsuccessfully thrust him right back into the SAM linebacker role again this camp. A few weeks ago, the Lions ended the experiment and appeared content to let him do what he does best: Rush the passer. But this type of one-dimensionality is not something the Lions favor, so there was a genuine question — despite what his 2022 tape showed — that Houston would make the squad this year.

Ukwu and Agude pushed and pushed, but ultimately, letting Houston's situation play itself out feels like the right thing to do, given how impactful his pass-rushing ability has proved.

Defensive line: Brodric Martin to IR; John Cominsky remains on roster; Kyle Peko released

Martin left Saturday's preseason finale because of a hyperextended knee and will be out for a bit, which forced the Lions to move some pieces around on the initial 53-man roster. It seemed obvious that defensive lineman John Cominsky, who's out indefinitely due to a torn MCL but could make a return later this year, was going to join cornerback Emmanuel Moseley on injured reserve with a designation to return — teams are allowed to tag two players as such before preseason cuts — but Martin's injury threw a wrench in those presumed plans.

The Lions put Martin on preseason injured reserve with a designation to return and kept Cominsky on the initial 53-man roster, where Cominsky must stay for the next 24 hours. Holmes apparently desired roster flexibility, so he kept the roster at 52 players and released Peko — a veteran whose spot seemed so secure that he didn't even play in the preseason — into free agency, where he'll be able to sign right back with the Lions once they place Cominsky on regular-season injured reserve. There's a bit of speculation here, but the sequence of moves would allow them to keep all three players around while keeping the extra roster spot open.

Safety: Brandon Joseph, Loren Strickland in; C.J. Moore out

Through my first two roster projections, I was a little stubborn about including Moore, if not for the only reason being that the Lions liked him enough to immediately bring him back after his year-long gambling suspension was over. Joseph and Strickland, I thought, would suffer a similar fate as Ukwu and Agude: Made great cases but ultimately kept out by a numbers game.

As it turned out, none of that was correct. The Lions cut bait with the veteran Moore to take chances on a pair of UDFAs (Joseph is in his second year after going undrafted out of Notre Dame). The Lions were already strong at the position with Brian Branch, Kerby Joseph and Ifeatu Melifonwu, and have now decided to keep a couple of high-upside pieces with a knack for making plays.

Tight end: Parker Hesse in; Shane Zylstra, James Mitchell out

I had Zylstra making the team in both of my previous roster projections, so I was a little taken aback when he was still out there fighting for his spot against Pittsburgh. In Sam LaPorta’s absence, Zylstra made a lot of plays in the receiving game during training camp. But there are concerns about his blocking, which the Lions are often sticklers about — and that held true when they made their final decisions on the tight-end room, keeping Parker Hesse, who played a good bit of fullback in preseason, over Zylstra and former fifth-round pick James Mitchell. Both Zylstra and Mitchell were waived and could potentially rejoin Detroit’s practice squad.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

@nolanbianchi

Comment

• New Lions additions to 53-man roster
            • LB Trevor Nowaske (claimed off waivers)

Practice Squad signings

Detroit Lions 2024 practice squad members (16 players max)
            1. WR Tim Patrick (story)
            2. EDGE Mitchell Agude (source)

Former Lions heading elsewhere

Waived players claimed by another team
            • None
            Lions cut players signed by another teamLions players who cleared waivers (now a free agent)
            • QB Jake Fromm
            • RB Jermar Jefferson
            • RB Zonovan Knight
            • RB Jake Funk
            • TE James Mitchell
            • TE Shane Zylstra
            • WR Maurice Alexander
            • WR Jalon Calhoun
            • WR Kaden Davis
            • G Jake Burton
            • C Kingsley Eguakun
            • G/C Duke Clemens
            • C Bryan Hudson
            • EDGE Mathieu Betts
            • EDGE Isaac Ukwu
            • DT Chris Smith
            • LB Abraham Beauplan
            • CB Steven Gilmore
            • CB Rachad Wildgoose
            • S Chelen Garnes

"This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• I'd go after Fromm, Knight, Zylstra, Ukwu, and maybe Davis from that cleared waiver list, and if Sudfeld is such a good voice of experience for Goff, get creative with how to bring him aboard...
              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                Very much liking the direction of where this Lions secondary is going. At least when compared to the dumpster fire of a unit over the last several years since the Teryl Austin days. Holmes made it a priority this offseason and it looks ready to take the next step. The secondary appears to have depth and long term upside with guys like Arnold, Rakestraw Jr., Branch, and Joseph (etc). Now it does take time for young CBs to excel as we saw with Slay in 2013-2014. When is the last rookie outside CB that didn’t have ups and downs with the Lions? So much turnover too… we’ll see how long it takes the chemistry to come together. It was a BIG issue last season. Guys like Nick Mullens shredding the Lions defense. (Thank goodness for his INTs) … It’s going to be weird for us Lions fans to see competent secondary play assuming there isn’t an unexpected disappointment.

Pass rush and secondary play was the achilles heel of the 2023 Lions. The achilles heel for this 2024 Lions might be depth on offense at WR/ TE and OLine. Going to need injury luck there to take the next step as a team.
                Good take overall.

I'm not worried about depth at TE or OL. Brock Wright might be one of the best backup TEs in the league. I think it's likely that we get Zylstra or Mitchell back on PS. Awosika, Skipper & Sorsdal aren't all-pro OL, but I'm comfortable calling them competent and they all have at least a full year of working with this system and one of the best position coaches in the league in Fraley. I doubt you're going to find many teams with better backups at OL.

WR depth is concerning -- particularly if Jamo doesn't step up this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                  New Lions additions to 53-man roster[LIST][*]LB Trevor Nowaske (claimed off waivers)

Wow, they must have really liked Nowaske from last year. He was a Brad Holmes special. Physical freak who played low-level football.

Comment

• The funny thing about losing Scott Daly to the Bears PS is, if the Lions (or anyone else) decide they need a LS, it’s not like a Chicago will sign him to be a second long snapper on the team to prevent him from being poached.
                    "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• I know there will be more jostling of the roster but 7 off-ball LBs is excessive at any point really.

Comment

• I'm guessing that they have concerns/plans for this new kickoff rule. Maybe they're overthinking it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                          I'd go after Fromm, Knight, Zylstra, Ukwu, and maybe Davis from that cleared waiver list, and if Sudfeld is such a good voice of experience for Goff, get creative with how to bring him aboard...
                          Creative as in sign him as an assistant to Mark Brunell.
                          "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                          Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post

Good take overall.

I'm not worried about depth at TE or OL. Brock Wright might be one of the best backup TEs in the league. I think it's likely that we get Zylstra or Mitchell back on PS. Awosika, Skipper & Sorsdal aren't all-pro OL, but I'm comfortable calling them competent and they all have at least a full year of working with this system and one of the best position coaches in the league in Fraley. I doubt you're going to find many teams with better backups at OL.

WR depth is concerning -- particularly if Jamo doesn't step up this season.
                            Mostly agreed, except Sorsdol has never looked even average. He is a liability and will be replaced by Manu + Mahogany.
                            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Lions bring back familiar face, claiming LB Nowaske to fill roster spot No. 53; no Lions' cuts claimed

Justin Rogers
                              Aug 28

Allen Park — The Detroit Lions filled the vacancy on the team’s initial 53-man roster by claiming linebacker Trevor Nowaske off waivers from the Arizona Cardinals.

Signed as an undrafted rookie out of Saginaw Valley State in 2023, Nowaske spent much of his rookie season on Detroit’s practice squad, prior to being waived and claimed by the Cardinals in late December.

He didn’t appear in a game for the Cardinals last season, but saw more than 70 defensive snaps in the team’s three preseason contests last year. Nowaske did see action in two contests for the Lions, playing exclusively on special teams during those matchups.

"I love talking about him because I feel like he’s been a great football player since training camp and has just done a great job," Lions special teams coordinator Dave Fipp said last year. "I was excited to see him be able to get out there because a guy like him, he’s doing all this work in practice, he’s giving the looks to the (starters) every single week, all he wants is a chance to play and finally got a chance to play. I thought did a nice job for us.”

Nowaske adds to a deep linebacker room loaded with special teams contributors, headlined by All-Pro and Pro Bowler Jalen Reeves-Maybin, as well as Malcolm Rodriguez and Ben Niemann.

Across the NFL, 26 players were claimed following Tuesday’s roster purge, where the league’s 32 teams trimmed their roster from 90 to the mandatory 53.

None of the 22 players waived by the Lions were claimed. That group included tight James Mitchell, a former fifth-round draft pick, cornerback Steven Gilmore, who was on Detroit’s roster in 2023, and undrafted rookies Kingsley Eguakun and Isaac Ukwu, who caught the eye of the coaching staff with their potential during this year’s training camp.

Email: jrogers@detroitfootball.net

X: Justin_Rogers

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Yeah, not giving Sorsdal the competent tag at this point. He’s looked pretty shaky.

Comment

Working...
                                X