X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not if they are the #1 seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
      Were you an editor in a previous life? Ha!
      No, it's just that these turds need to be replaced by people who can speak frickin Engarish.
      "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
      Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Maybe you can go there and make the 15 bucks an hour they are making.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
          From this article

It's pretty rough. The Lions will have to play 16 straight weeks if they make the NFCCG.
          Not if they get the first seed.

Comment

• Draft Kings point spreads for 2024 season are out:

Vegas odds for the entire Detroit Lions 2024 schedule are out, and they’re favored in nearly every single game.

Lions favored in 13 games, but generally not by much. The over-under on wins for the season is 10.5.

It's a 1st-place schedule, so it's tough. I remember when the Lions had decent teams, they would have a good season against a weaker schedule and then follow it up with a bad season against the good schedule and repeat the process.

The encouraging thing about this team is that they had a 2nd place schedule this past season and still improved.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
              Draft Kings point spreads for 2024 season are out:

Vegas odds for the entire Detroit Lions 2024 schedule are out, and they’re favored in nearly every single game.

Lions favored in 13 games, but generally not by much. The over-under on wins for the season is 10.5.

It's a 1st-place schedule, so it's tough. I remember when the Lions had decent teams, they would have a good season against a weaker schedule and then follow it up with a bad season against the good schedule and repeat the process.

The encouraging thing about this team is that they had a 2nd place schedule this past season and still improved.
              The New England Patriots under Bill Belichick once won the AFC East 11 years in a row ('09-'19) and 17 years out of 19 overall (2001, 2003-2007, 2009-2019), while having a winning season for 19 straight years from '01-'19, before Tom Brady left and Belichick simply didn't proper reload his team like he's traditionally done.

I think with Sheila Ford Hamp, along with Chris Spielman, and the Brad Holmes/Ray Agnew/John Dorsey management team, that the Detroit Lions will at least be in the conversation for best team in the NFL in the years to come. Oh, there will a year here and there in which they'll slip off a bit, but they'll eventually recover and become a serious threat to win a Super Bowl.

I'm actually shocked that I can type the words above and not think that I'm drinking or insane.
              "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• While the Patriots were run well, they had the fortune of playing in a division that didn’t have any decent QB play. I can’t think of a decent QB Brady had to outduel during his time in New England.

The Lions will have much tougher competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                  While the Patriots were run well, they had the fortune of playing in a division that didn’t have any decent QB play. I can’t think of a decent QB Brady had to outduel during his time in New England.

The Lions will have much tougher competition.
                  I always wished that Green Bay played the Patriots in the Super Bowl a few times during Tom Brady's run with Bill Belichick. That would've been interesting.
                  My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Most everything is cyclical in sports, eventually teams catch up to what you are doing and the margin for error gets smaller the longer you are picking in the back half of the rounds. The ride up is the fun time, staying there is hard. I'd like to think Brad Holmes is always going to draft well, but I believe firmly the in the long run drafting success regresses to the mean.

Do not be fooled by randomness.

Comment

• Which is why I’m not a fan of the way he’s packed multiple picks for these mid-round swings. He’s a good drafter, I want him to have more picks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                          Which is why I’m not a fan of the way he’s packed multiple picks for these mid-round swings. He’s a good drafter, I want him to have more picks.
                          I"m with you.

I'm hoping that using some of next year's picks was strategic -- that he's looked at the current arc of the team and figured that using an extra pick this year was more valuable than having one next year. I do know that Holmes was quoted as saying that they're only down one 3rd round pick next season and have an extra 7th, so he didn't feel he overcommitted.

Here's what they have in 2025

Comment

• We all have our flaws. I agreed with trading up to get Arnold. Probably less so with the other guys. It all depends on their ability to develop projects. Overall I really liked their draft even if my default is not to trade up. I know a lot of people who followed the draft really like Vaki, I have no opinion on the guy but it's sounds promising. I'm probably less critical of trading up because for once the team doesn't have many needs. More later round picks sounds great in theory, but it's hard to find a place on the roster for some of these picks.

It wasn't the point I was getting at though. In the long run I think drafting regresses to the mean. That's looking more at the long term than one single draft. People have brought up the Patriots, they were the opposite of trading up, they were forever trading back or at minimum letting the picks come to them and they ran out of luck.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              We all have our flaws. I agreed with trading up to get Arnold. Probably less so with the other guys. It all depends on their ability to develop projects. Overall I really liked their draft even if my default is not to trade up. I know a lot of people who followed the draft really like Vaki, I have no opinion on the guy but it's sounds promising. I'm probably less critical of trading up because for once the team doesn't have many needs. More later round picks sounds great in theory, but it's hard to find a place on the roster for some of these picks.

It wasn't the point I was getting at though. In the long run I think drafting regresses to the mean. That's looking more at the long term than one single draft. People have brought up the Patriots, they were the opposite of trading up, they were forever trading back or at minimum letting the picks come to them and they ran out of luck.

​​​​​​
                              It also didn't help the New England Patriots that the person doing the final draft selections was the Head Coach, and quite frankly, Bill Belichick lost his draft mojo at the end of his time there.

I tend to wonder if someone like Brad Holmes, Ray Agnew or even John Dorsey would've thrived in New England during the Belichick/Brady heyday.
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• We can only hope Holmes loses his mojo after 20 years and 6 super bowls.

Comment

Working...
                                X