No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More potential good help for GM Brad Holmes, assistant general manager Ray Agnew, and senior personnel executive John Dorsey:

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Jared Goff's big deal with Detroit Lions just one more sign of Brad Holmes' golden touch

Jeff Seidel
        Detroit Free Press

Maybe it’s time to turn to Greek mythology for an explanation.

Maybe that’s the only way to describe what has happened to the Detroit Lions under general manager Brad Holmes.

Because he’s gone all King Midas on us — everything he touches has turned to gold.

When you zoom back and consider the big picture, it’s almost stunning, if you really think about it. So, let’s start with the most pivotal moment in (recent) Lions franchise history.

Think back to Jan. 30, 2021, when the Lions traded Matthew Stafford, the face of the franchise, to the Los Angeles Rams and, in return, received three draft picks and Jared Goff — yes, we’ll get to him in a second.

With those picks, Holmes did a bunch of wheelin’ and dealin’ — moving up and down — and the Lions ended up with:

∎ Ifeatu Melifonwu, a 2021 third-round pick who started 2023's final five regular-season games and all three playoff games ...

∎ Jameson Williams, a 2022 first-rounder who is expected to turn into a key wide receiver this season ...

∎ Josh Paschal and Brodric Martin, Day 2 picks from 2022 and 2023, respectively, who will give the Lions plenty of depth on the defensive line ...

∎ Jahmyr Gibbs, an electric running back snagged in 2023's first round ...

∎ Sam LaPorta, a stud tight end from 2023's second round who went on to set the NFL record for receptions by a rookie TE ...

And then ...

Yes ... Goff.

At the time of the Stafford trade, I was under the absolutely moronic, 100% idiotic, completely wrong impression that Goff was a throw-in.

But I truly don’t think that Holmes ever thought that. He has always believed in Goff, dating back to when he was the Rams' scouting director.

And then Goff proved him right, leading the Lions to the NFC championship game in his third season as a Lion.

Pure gold.

But wait.

King Midas was just getting started.

This offseason, Holmes faced a huge, critical to-do list.

More than anything else, he had to improve the Lions' secondary, especially after the Cam Sutton situation. And Holmes did just that, using the draft and free agency to inject some much-needed talent into the defensive backs room.

Second, Holmes had to lock up the pillars of this team.

He signed Penei Sewell to a four-year, $112 million contract — that was critical because Sewell is the anchor of the Lions' offensive line.

Next, he signed Amon-Ra St. Brown to a four-year, $120 million deal — St. Brown is not only a fantastic wide receiver, he’s a heart-and-soul guy.

But there was one big thing left.

To borrow the words of St. Brown moments before the NFL draft kicked off in Detroit last month: “JA-RED GOFF! JA-RED GOFF!”

And then Holmes finished off his magical offseason by signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension.

Wow.

Sure, it’s a massive contract.

Right now.

But quarterback contracts have a way of looking small in the near future.

Remember when Stafford signed a five-year, $135 million deal, back in 2017? That seemed massive at the time.

But now it doesn’t.

I suspect, in due time, this Goff deal won’t seem like such a big deal either. Numbers in the NFL never seem real, anyhow. They can always rework deals in the future.

Besides, if there is one thing you can count on: The NFL will find a way to print some more money, meaning the salary cap will increase and salaries will continue to rise. Especially QB contracts.

I mean, Goff signed a four-year extension with the Rams in 2019 that included $110 million in guarantees — the most in league history, at the time.

And that almost seems quaint now.

Impressive part was what didn't happen

There are just so many crazy layers to this situation, to what Holmes has done this offseason.

First of all, let’s point out all the things that didn’t happen. There were no messy contract disputes, no holdouts, no franchise tags, no drama.

None of that.

Not with any of the Lions' key players.

King Midas just went to work and got it done, with all of them, and he deserves all kinds of praise for that.

Can you argue that he paid too much for Goff?

You can, but I don’t buy it.

There are two types of teams in the NFL: Those who have a quarterback who can lead them to the Super Bowl (and win it), and those who are still searching for a quarterback.

"It's a lot easier to get worse at quarterback than to get better," Holmes said famously.

And it seems as if more than a third of the league is perpetually searching for their QB.

Think back to the draft in Detroit.

There were six quarterbacks taken in the first round, tying a record — including five in the top 12 picks — and the year before that, there were four taken in the first 33 picks.

That’s 10 teams who, through their own actions, screamed loud and clear: Goodness gracious, we need a QB!

So the other side of the equation is just as important: When you have a QB, you must do everything in your power to lock him up long-term.

And that’s what Holmes did with Goff. He locked him up.

But doing that in the same offseason that he locked up Sewell and St. Brown?

It’s simply amazing.

The Lions will return the core of a team that went to the NFC championship game — only now with an improved secondary that gives them a legit shot to win the Super Bowl.

Amazing.

But I keep thinking back to that Stafford trade.

The Lions gave up their franchise quarterback and got one in return, not to mention a whole bunch more talent. That single trade set all of this in motion, and it’s like that gift that keeps giving.

At least for King Midas.

He has built a foundation of pure gold.

Contact Jeff Seidel: jseidel@freepress.com. Follow him @seideljeff. To read his recent columns, go to freep.com/sports/jeff-seidel.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Covers the Goff contract at the beginning.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Screenshot-20240515-103436-Lions.jpg
            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Were you an editor in a previous life? Ha!
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Here's the latest schedule rumor:

Comment

• I do not like early bye weeks...the later, the better.
                  Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• I hope that the Rams game isn't the 1st game of the year. The first game, fans will want to cheer the team for last year's success. There will be Jared Goff chants.

If the game were a week or two later, there would be more space to give Stafford a decent welcome

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
                      I hope that the Rams game isn't the 1st game of the year. The first game, fans will want to cheer the team for last year's success. There will be Jared Goff chants.

If the game were a week or two later, there would be more space to give Stafford a decent welcome
                      Like the welcome he got here last season?
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I can see them being 4-0 going into the bye.
                        3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
                        10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
                          I hope that the Rams game isn't the 1st game of the year. The first game, fans will want to cheer the team for last year's success. There will be Jared Goff chants.

TF cares about that. He's not getting more than a 10 sec ovation regardless when it is and that's plenty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Lagoon58 View Post

TF cares about that. He's not getting more than a 10 sec ovation regardless when it is and that's plenty.
                            Then the other 20 seconds could be spent booing the toddlers (i.e. the Stafford kids and McVay), right?
                            Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• We hired a couple Detroiters to help us unveil this year's schedule.Subscribe to the Lions YT Channel: https://bit.ly/2OABzdxMore Lions NFL Action: https://b...
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                                My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X