• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paywall article from today's News.

10 free agents for Detroit Lions to consider in second wave of free agency

Justin Rogers
    The Detroit News

The Detroit Lions have done a ton of roster revamping since the start of the new league year earlier this month; probably more than most of us anticipated.

Of course, that process is never done. Additionally, some of the math regarding team needs changed when the Lions were forced to cut cornerback Cam Sutton after a warrant was issued for his arrest related to an alleged domestic violence incident in Florida.

General manager Brad Holmes is likely done taking big swings — outside some of the extensions due some of his own players — but there are still plenty of options available who could help the Lions. Here are 10 players still on the market we don't believe would break the bank and could bolster Detroit's depth.

▶ Cornerback Stephon Gilmore

Following the axing of Sutton, the Lions are light at cornerback. Carlton Davis III is obviously projected to serve as one of the starters, while Amik Robertson and Emmanuel Moseley are quality contenders for the other job. Still, it wouldn't hurt to add another reliable veteran to that mix, and Gilmore fits the bill.

A five-time Pro Bowler, Gilmore is closer to the end of his career as he nears his 34th birthday, but he proved he can still play at a high level last season for Dallas. In 2023, he held opposing quarterbacks to a 56.8 completion percentage when he was targeted in coverage. On top of that, he's always been an exceptional tackler on the perimeter.

John Johnson III of the LA Rams.jpg

▶ Safety John Johnson III

We're a couple of years removed from Holmes and Dan Campbell feeling the need to bring in players from their former teams, but Johnson remains worthy of consideration. It's unclear whether the Lions were interested when Johnson was a free agent in 2021, but the three-year, $33 million payday he netted from Cleveland was a bit rich.

Johnson didn't see the end of that deal and spent last year back with the Rams as a part-time starter. He might not ever return to his peak, but he's savvy, instinctual, versatile and a stellar tackler. He'd give the Lions badly needed depth at one of the thinnest spots on the roster, especially with some of the durability concerns with both Kerby Joseph and Ifeatu Melifonwu.

▶ Wide receiver Josh Reynolds

Of Detroit's players who had expiring contracts this offseason, Reynolds ranks near the top of surprises who haven't re-upped with the team. He reportedly visited the Ravens last week, suggesting he's inching closer to taking a new opportunity. But it's not too late for the two sides to revisit an extension of the relationship.

Josh Reynolds vs Carolina 2023 season.jpg

Reynolds has been solid during his two-plus years with the Lions after being claimed off waivers in the middle of the 2021 season. He helped get the offense on track that first year and has averaged 39 receptions for 543 yards and four touchdowns the past two seasons.

The Lions already re-signed Donovan Peoples-Jones on the cheap. He's a player whose previous production peak topped anything Reynolds has done in his career. But the chemistry with quarterback Jared Goff, and the willingness to fight through injury and do all the dirty work continues to be valuable.

▶ Defensive lineman Calais Campbell

The Lions already added two pieces to their defensive line in DJ Reader and Marcus Davenport, but a year after kicking the tires on Campbell, there's reason to explore signing the veteran again.

Yes, Campbell is one of the league's oldest players, but he remains highly effective against both the run and pass, racking up 42 quarterback pressures and 6.5 sacks with the Atlanta Falcons last year. The 6-foot-8, 280-pounder can play inside and on the edge, and he would only strengthen the leadership Reader is expected to bring to the table in Detroit.

▶ Cornerback Steven Nelson

Similar to Gilmore, Nelson is an older veteran, but without all the postseason accolades of the former. That doesn't mean the 31-year-old cornerback is any less effective of an option on the outside. He's held quarterbacks well south of 60% completions when targeting him during his career, while intercepting a personal-best five passes in 2023.

It's been several years since he was asked to play in the slot, but he presumably could slide back inside in a pinch if his next employer needed him to play nickel.

▶ Safety Tashaun Gipson

A ferocious competitor, Gipson was one of the most vocal 49ers defenders about the team's lack of consistent effort during the NFC Championship game against the Lions. Despite that attribute, it might be difficult selling him on needing to beat out an incumbent. This is a defensive back used to playing close to 1,000 snaps per season.

Still, it feels like it would be ideal to have an accomplished veteran on the roster to push Kerby to the next level of consistency.

▶ Cornerback Rock Ya-Sin

Ya-Sin isn't likely to cost as much as Gilmore or Nelson, but also wouldn't be as much of a threat to win the starting job. He would be more of a depth signing, who would also be expected to contribute on special teams. He's coming off a year where he had a career-low workload on defense, which should keep his price tag down.

Logan Thomas of the Washington Commanders.jpg

▶ Tight end Logan Thomas/C.J. Uzomah

We're lumping these two veteran tight ends together. Both were recently released from their multi-year contracts and shouldn't command nearly as much as they did their last go through free agency. What stands out about Thomas and Uzomah is they are both quality blockers, as well as capable of contributing in the pass game.

The vision here is they'd be brought in to compete with Brock Wright for the No. 2 tight end job in Detroit's offense. The Lions tagged Wright as a restricted free agent, but that nearly $3 million salary is not guaranteed, allowing the team to lean into the best man winning the job on the practice field.

▶ Wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown

The brother of Lions star Amon-Ra St. Brown, Equanimeous would be a low-cost option who could provide the offense with much-needed size on the outside, both as a downfield and red-zone target and as a perimeter blocker. It would also inch the older St. Brown a step closer to having played for every team in the NFC North after stints in Green Bay and Chicago.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

@Justin_Rogers

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• I’m sure it’s E. St. Browns goal to play for all NFC North teams. The Detroit media sometimes writes like this from Mayberry

Comment

• As I understand it, the St. Brown brothers like playing AGAINST each other. I suspect Eq would only talk to Detroit if there was literally no other option.

Comment

• Oh really? On their podcast I thought Amon-Ra was trying to recruit his brother to the Lions.

Comment

• Screenshot-20240325-103554-Lions.jpg

1. Celebrating a play before the game? Huh? What is he celebrating? The coin toss? A practice play he ran on the sideline? Something from last week?

2. Why call it an "NFL football game"? The F in NFL already stands for "football." We need to track this so-called writer down. Somebody find his "VIN number" and put out an "APB bulletin."

3. In the words of Eric Cartman, "Fuck you, Kyle."
            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Prob just trying to get into the oppositions head before the game. I like him and I liked the addition.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

▶ Defensive lineman Calais Campbell

The Lions already added two pieces to their defensive line in DJ Reader and Marcus Davenport, but a year after kicking the tires on Campbell, there's reason to explore signing the veteran again.

Yes, Campbell is one of the league's oldest players, but he remains highly effective against both the run and pass, racking up 42 quarterback pressures and 6.5 sacks with the Atlanta Falcons last year. The 6-foot-8, 280-pounder can play inside and on the edge, and he would only strengthen the leadership Reader is expected to bring to the table in Detroit.

▶ Cornerback Rock Ya-Sin

Ya-Sin isn't likely to cost as much as Gilmore or Nelson, but also wouldn't be as much of a threat to win the starting job. He would be more of a depth signing, who would also be expected to contribute on special teams. He's coming off a year where he had a career-low workload on defense, which should keep his price tag down.

Logan Thomas of the Washington Commanders.jpg

I could handle either of these signings. Rock Ya Sin has been a very consistent CB over the years and is a bargain for even a CB2 (which he could be).

Calais Campbell still looked the part when we played ATL last year. He wasn't big on the stat sheet but he looked good, I could handle it for depth.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• While saddened for Cam Sutton the person, the Lions appeared to have contract language that recovers cost, and given how he struggled in the 1st year of a 3 year deal, this is a blessing in disguise for Detroit. Hopefully Sutton can make amends (if guilty) and move on from this unfortunate situation.
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• After five days, there is still no word regarding the whereabouts of former Detroit Lions cornerback Cam Sutton. The veteran was released by Detroit's front of
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Tomlin is straight up awesome.
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                          While saddened for Cam Sutton the person, the Lions appeared to have contract language that recovers cost, and given how he struggled in the 1st year of a 3 year deal, this is a blessing in disguise for Detroit. Hopefully Sutton can make amends (if guilty) and move on from this unfortunate situation.
                          Sutton got hung out to dry at times and others just didn’t look the part but I was looking forward to a bounce back
                          seaon this year

Several writers have commented on how up and down the Cb position is. Besides the elites, most corners struggle every other year. I was hoping Sutton would fall into that
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                            My friend Ken L

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• The Detroit Lions are opening the doors of Ford Field on the first night of the NFL draft to season ticket holders for a watchparty.
                                "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                                My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X