Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
    If Carlton Davis had been a UFA and we signed him for $20M/year, other forums and podcasts/radio would be dancing in the street for getting the #2 CB on the market. This is why this forum is just better.

Our CB room is really upgraded. Add a day 2 CB prospect and the CB room is above NFL average. There's a decent chance Sutton is depth this season after being our clear #1 last year.

Outside CBs: Davis, Sutton, Moseley, Draft pick?, Gilmore, Vildore
    Slot CBs: Branch, Amik
    Safeties: Joseph, Iffy, Branch

if someone goes down, we have quality players stepping up. No more signing guys off the street to start in the playoffs. I'm wondering if they'll move Branch to safety and Amik to slot if Moseley comes back.
    I think that Branch getting more S reps is in the cards. Outside CB in the draft....Rakestraw feels like a guy they could target in the second
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I’m pretty happy with their signings so far. I expect a couple more though.
      3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
      10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Branch is playing nickel as he should. It's a waste to play him at safety, it's why they didn't even try to sign CJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          Branch is playing nickel as he should. It's a waste to play him at safety, it's why they didn't even try to sign CJ.
          I think the Lions would like to have him on the field in the occasional situations where there's not a nickel back being called for by the formation. That's what they tried to do early on the season, in fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            My guess is that Reynolds wants to test the market. Dude probably sees the writing on the wall with how the team really wants to make JaMo a larger part of the offense, and that he'll almost assuredly get squeezed out in regards to touches as a result.

NFL players want to play, and I don't think the Lions are guaranteeing the amount of playing time he wants.
            Reynolds is getting plenty of snaps as an 3rd WR and the only guy with size/length. He and Jamo don’t really do the same things for the most part. Reynolds makes contested catches, has a lot of success on these deep crossers, and sideline/fade style plays. And has a good connection with Goff in the red zone. Jamo showed some improvement in those areas but he has a long way to go.

Comment

• Even if they don't do exactly the same thing, there is only one ball. If the Lions want to make JaMo a bigger part of the offense (and by every account and statement from the Lions, that's exactly what they want to do), someone's touches and snaps are going to decrease, and it probably isn't going to be LaPorta or St. Brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                Even if they don't do exactly the same thing, there is only one ball. If the Lions want to make JaMo a bigger part of the offense (and by every account and statement from the Lions, that's exactly what they want to do), someone's touches and snaps are going to decrease, and it probably isn't going to be LaPorta or St. Brown.
                So you would be comfortable with Raymond/rookie/Antoine Green as your 3rd WR?
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

So you would be comfortable with Raymond/rookie/Antoine Green as your 3rd WR?
                  It's not a matter of what I'm comfortable with. It's a matter of if Reynolds is okay with that, and I'm guessing that he's not particularly enamored with the idea.

Comment

• I don't think anybody is signing up Reynolds to be anything better than a #3 WR. He's a 29 year old vet that has only one season where he caught more than 40 passes. He's looking to get as much of a contract as he can because he is 29 and this might be his last real shot at non vet minimum deal.

The question is going to be much more about, once he finds his market value, are the Lions willing/interested in meeting it. He honestly probably has more value to them than other teams because of his rapport with Goff.

Comment

• If Reynolds goes elsewhere, they will find a comparable vet to replace him. It could just be DPJ.

Comment

I've said this way too many times but here I go again. The Holmes strategy has been a hell of lot more Patriot Way than the previous regime. They believe in plugging holes via free agency with quantity rather than with just one or two big ticket items. When you do that, you aren't getting too involved at the start of free agency but you are aggressively bargain hunting all off-season.

That is less satisfying than getting a Brian Burns, but if you go for a Brian Burns trade you limit how wide a net you can cast for other players
                        True. And we should remember that the Lions have a lot of big contracts coming up for players already on the roster. Sewell should be one of the highest-paid tackles, and Goff needs to get his. Committing a lot to one player can have repercussions later. I do think Campbell wants to take care of his own guys first.

Comment

When I reference the Patriot Way, they generally never swung for the fences. The big names they brought in were generally big names that were damaged goods.

I don't think the pass rush was the issue as much as the bad corner play. If they did swing for the fences for Burns, maybe they don't address the corners.
                          No i get that, but Burns being on the block is absolutely crazy in the first place. The kid has great sack numbers and he's 25 years old. Players like that generally don't make it to the open market especially pass rushers. CB is definitely the glaring need and the way Holmes has attacked this offseason its probably the right way of doing things.

It'll be fun to see who falls to our picks but we definitely have the right GM making the calls.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

If Reynolds goes elsewhere, they will find a comparable vet to replace him. It could just be DPJ.
                            That is what I was thinking.
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Peoples-Jones is definitely nice to keep around but minus the San Fran game Reynolds has been an automatic safety valve for Goff.

Im pretty sure they’ll consult him. At least I hope they do
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I’m sure if Reynolds leaves they’ll sign somebody. Holmes likes to have a minimal roster holes ahead of the draft. But I think it becomes a bigger priority to get a true X WR in the draft. I don’t think a DPJ or similar journeyman is something you count on.

Comment

Working...
                                X