Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    DJ Reader set for a visit. He’d a be nice signing but I am a little worried about the new additions and injury history. Either way he’s a beast in the middle.
    Yeah, a quad injury that required surgery, particularly for a big man, is concerning. Glad they’re going to check it out first. If he’s healthy, he’d be a great addition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
      I get what Holmes wants to do but they got really close last season. Getting Burns and a DB might have put them over the top. Just my opinion.
      Absolutely.

I know Holmes has his plans but I’m sure he plays a lot of poker as well. Just because he says something doesn’t mean he won’t pull the trigger if it works. We all want extended winning but windows don’t last long. Swing for the fences
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• They are following the script of what they’ve done in past years - fill roster holes with competent players, a middle of the road move or two where they have clear deficiencies, a couple of low cost/upside plays, and then look for the high level starters/difference makers in the draft. We were wondering if the process might change this offseason given their situation as a contender and cash to spend, but it really hasn’t.

Comment

• I do think the Lions are in a place where if there was one "big name" that they felt would be that final piece, that Holmes would shoot his shot.

The thing is that sort of player really doesn't hit free agency all that often.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            I do think the Lions are in a place where if there was one "big name" that they felt would be that final piece, that Holmes would shoot his shot.

Agreed

My thing is that Burns is that kind of player. It would have cost multiple 2nds or a first tho. He prob wasn’t willing to do that.

but…. Burns is also only 25. IMO he’s worth it
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Right now my expectations are they will go get one more DT - whether that's Reader or a younger vet rotation guy. Greg Gaines (who Holmes would have familiarity with from the Rams) and Tim Settle are a couple of guys in that sweet spot of 26/27 years old that can add depth.

But to me the most curious remaining decision is on Josh Reynolds. Are they waiting the market right now, letting him see what he can get before bringing him back? If they let him walk, that's a real choice given his connection with Goff, and would push WR up the priority list for the draft as I don't think any of the remaining FAs really would fill that hole in the lineup.

Comment

• My guess is that Reynolds wants to test the market. Dude probably sees the writing on the wall with how the team really wants to make JaMo a larger part of the offense, and that he'll almost assuredly get squeezed out in regards to touches as a result.

NFL players want to play, and I don't think the Lions are guaranteeing the amount of playing time he wants.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  I do think the Lions are in a place where if there was one "big name" that they felt would be that final piece, that Holmes would shoot his shot.

It's a good theory, but he hasn't given any indication he would make such a move.. He's made overtures for some bigger names, but in those cases those were buy low scenarios. They were rumored to have interest in Jalen Ramsey last year. Also Chase Young was another guy that they may or may not have made an offer on.

If Patrick Surtain was available, is Holmes going to put 2 first rounders on the table for the opportunity to sign him to a $100M contract? I think that's what we would all consider an aggressive all in move. We have no evidence that he's willing to do that, not even really any rumors on such big moves. The most aggressive things he's done are in the draft, most notably the move up in the draft for Jamo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post

It's a good theory, but he hasn't given any indication he would make such a move.. He's made overtures for some bigger names, but in those cases those were buy low scenarios. They were rumored to have interest in Jalen Ramsey last year. Also Chase Young was another guy that they may or may not have made an offer on.

If Patrick Surtain was available, is Holmes going to put 2 first rounders on the table for the opportunity to sign him to a $100M contract? I think that's what we would all consider an aggressive all in move. We have no evidence that he's willing to do that, not even really any rumors on such big moves. The most aggressive things he's done are in the draft, most notably the move up in the draft for Jamo.
                    Well, I think the Lions aren't where one player would be that "final piece," nor do I think Holmes thinks they are, so it's a moot theory at this point.

Comment

• I'm a fan of the all-22 guy. Does a nice job doing film breakdown. He's a fan of the Carlton Davis move. Here's his breakdown:

Davis is better than I thought. He's not prime Jalen Ramsey, but I think he's a true CB1. While he hasn't been healthy for a full season, he averages 13 games per season, which isn't bad. Main thing is we want him healthy for the playoffs.

He's clearly the best CB we've had since Slay, and we got him with pick 92 and not a huge contract.

Comment

• I've said this way too many times but here I go again. The Holmes strategy has been a hell of lot more Patriot Way than the previous regime. They believe in plugging holes via free agency with quantity rather than with just one or two big ticket items. When you do that, you aren't getting too involved at the start of free agency but you are aggressively bargain hunting all off-season.

That is less satisfying than getting a Brian Burns, but if you go for a Brian Burns trade you limit how wide a net you can cast for other players

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          I've said this way too many times but here I go again. The Holmes strategy has been a hell of lot more Patriot Way than the previous regime. They believe in plugging holes via free agency with quantity rather than with just one or two big ticket items. When you do that, you aren't getting too involved at the start of free agency but you are aggressively bargain hunting all off-season.

That is less satisfying than getting a Brian Burns, but if you go for a Brian Burns trade you limit how wide a net you can cast for other players
                          The other key factor of how the Lions are handling FA is that they are building the core of this team through the draft, Holmes has been successful finding quality players in later rounds of the draft which has been key.
                          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            I've said this way too many times but here I go again. The Holmes strategy has been a hell of lot more Patriot Way than the previous regime. They believe in plugging holes via free agency with quantity rather than with just one or two big ticket items. When you do that, you aren't getting too involved at the start of free agency but you are aggressively bargain hunting all off-season.

Yeah that’s about right. You could see it early in last season just by the sheer amount of depth. Normally when someone goes down with injury Lions teams fall off but these Lions are built different mentally and depth isn’t an issue.

Still at some point you have to swing for the fences but I’ll never complain about Holmes
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• If Carlton Davis had been a UFA and we signed him for $20M/year, other forums and podcasts/radio would be dancing in the street for getting the #2 CB on the market. This is why this forum is just better.

Our CB room is really upgraded. Add a day 2 CB prospect and the CB room is above NFL average. There's a decent chance Sutton is depth this season after being our clear #1 last year.

Outside CBs: Davis, Sutton, Moseley, Draft pick?, Gilmore, Vildore
                              Slot CBs: Branch, Amik
                              Safeties: Joseph, Iffy, Branch

if someone goes down, we have quality players stepping up. No more signing guys off the street to start in the playoffs. I'm wondering if they'll move Branch to safety and Amik to slot if Moseley comes back.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Yeah that’s about right. You could see it early in last season just by the sheer amount of depth. Normally when someone goes down with injury Lions teams fall off but these Lions are built different mentally and depth isn’t an issue.

Still at some point you have to swing for the fences but I’ll never complain about Holmes
                                When I reference the Patriot Way, they generally never swung for the fences. The big names they brought in were generally big names that were damaged goods.

I don't think the pass rush was the issue as much as the bad corner play. If they did swing for the fences for Burns, maybe they don't address the corners.

Comment

Working...
                                X