No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions at #4 in ESPN’s post SB rankings.
    3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
    10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Paywall Freep article.

Detroit Lions' Brian Branch: Rookie season a 'great stepping stone,' better things to come

Dave Birkett
      Detroit Free Press

LAS VEGAS – The reminders were everywhere.

At the airport when he arrived in town for Super Bowl 58. On billboards and placards and the Las Vegas’ Sphere as he Ubered to his hotel. Even in Defensive Rookie of the Year voting, where he earned six third-place votes to finish seventh for the award.

Brian Branch and the Detroit Lions had good seasons in 2023. Branch established himself as a long-term starter and playmaker in the secondary, and the Lions reached the NFC championship for the first time in 32 years.

But everything about the season left Branch wanting more.

He wasn’t happy to be in the “others receiving votes” category for Rookie of the Year.

“I feel like I could have done more,” he said.

And he was bummed to be doing paid promotions on radio row days before the Super Bowl.

“We should be here,” were the first words out of Branch’s mouth when he greeted a reporter Friday on radio row. “We should be here. Literally.”

Branch played 15 games and made nine starts as a rookie and exceeded just about everyone’s expectations but his own.

He tied for second on the team with three interceptions and returned one for a touchdown off Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes. He had 74 tackles, including seven for loss. And he shined as a slot cornerback, where he projects to be an important player on the Lions’ young defense for years to come.

Branch said he finished the season with mixed feelings about his play

“I had my ups and downs and I feel like I left a lot of plays out there on the table that I was supposed to make,” he told the Free Press. “I’m still thinking about that and I’m not kind of proud of that, and I feel like my next year is going to have to be my biggest year.”

Branch was one of just three defensive backs to receive DROY votes. Seattle Seahawks cornerback Devon Witherspoon finished fourth, while Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Joey Porter Jr. had the same number of points as Branch (sixth) but tied for fifth because he had one first-place vote; Houston Texans pass rusher Will Anderson won the award.

Specifically, Branch said there are two areas of improvement he plans to focus on this offseason.

“I want to say still covering, not really using my hands in a way,” he said. “Like down the field, I have a tendency of using them and you can’t touch these receivers. That, and just my blitzes. I feel like I choked on a lot of blitzes.”

Branch had a lower passer rating against (81.3) than Witherspoon, according to Pro Football Reference, but he tied for second on the Lions with six penalties, including four defensive holding or illegal contact flags.

As a blitzer, Branch had one sack, two quarterback knockdowns and five hurries on 31 blitzes, according to PFR.

“Just sometimes I would hesitate instead of just going full speed,” he said. “If I would have went full speed, it would have been the difference between a sack and a pressure.”

Notoriously hard on himself, Branch begrudgingly admitted he had a good season overall by the time his interview with the Free Press was done.

He was one of the Lions’ most disruptive defensive players all season. He saw time at safety, his potential future position, after an early-season injury to C.J. Gardner-Johnson. And he enters the offseason healthy and hungry for 2024.

“Great stepping stone,” he said. “I look back at my favorite players and I don’t think they had the rookie season that I had, but just got to keep going.”

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post
        Lions at #4 in ESPN’s post SB rankings.
        1 - KC, 2 - SF, 3 - Baltimore?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post

Baltimore, KC, SF, Det

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post

Would seem about right
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post

Baltimore, KC, SF, Det
              Found the article and it's not paywalled

It's an early ranking for the 2024 season, not a final ranking of the 2023 season, so Baltimore being #1 makes more sense.

Baltimore is losing its wunderkind DC and Jackson still hasn't proven he can win a big game, so anticipating them passing up KC seems unlikely. OTOH, the Lions are returning their coaching staff and every key player from one of the youngest teams in the NFL that was moments away from winning the NFC this year, so you'd think they'd be ranked ahead of the aging 49ers.

Eh, doesn't really mean much until after FA & Draft anyway.

Comment

• Lions apparently are signing Mathieu Betts from the CFL. I know nothing about this guy so here’s some highlights. People seem excited for him. Has a motor to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lionsfan123 View Post
                  Lions apparently are signing Mathieu Betts from the CFL. I know nothing about this guy so here’s some highlights. People seem excited for him. Has a motor to him.
                  Was the 2023 CFL Defensive Player of the Year with 18 sacks in 18 games.

Comment

• 18 CFL sacks? What’s that, like 12 American?

Comment

• He had several offers from NFL and CFL teams, apparently, but likes Detroit the most.

Comment

• He'd still be the team leader in sacks at that exchange rate.

Just sayin'.

Comment

• Even if he had 10 sacks next year that would be good.

Comment

• I imagine beating a CFL tackle and beating a NFL tackle are two different things.....You can see why they'd be willing to take the chance though if it works out.

Comment

• It's worth a roll of the dice. He looks like the Canadian Maxx Crosby in the highlight package, but he wasn't much of a pass rusher until this past season, otherwise he would have found his way back to an NFL camp sooner. If he finds his way to the roster as a backup DE and situational pass rusher, that would qualify as a success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                                18 CFL sacks? What’s that, like 12 American?
                                Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X