• Show
Clear All

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• The Lions could have easily taken a series of knees to run out the clock on their victory. Instead, they threw the ball three straight times to wide receiver Josh Reynolds.
        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Martha Ford makes surprise speech in Detroit Lions locker room ahead of playoff home game

Jared Ramsey
              Detroit Free Press

The Detroit Lions shared a video of coach Dan Campbell's postgame speech and game ball delivery following the 30-20 win over the Minnesota Vikings, but the typical victory ceremony had a special twist to honor the Lions' return to the NFL playoffs after tying the franchise record for wins in a season.

When Campbell finished up his quick speech, he waved in owner Sheila Hamp and her mother, former owner Martha Ford, and presented them with a game ball. Campbell said the turnaround that resulted in the 12-5 season and a home playoff game against the Los Angeles Rams couldn't have happened without starting at the top.

"To do what we've been able to do, man, you gotta have the right ownership," Campbell said. "And it is the Ford family, but Sheila is the one we deal with, man, on a day-to-day basis, and without her..."

Campbell was cut off by a loud round of applause throughout the locker room as Sheila walked in with Martha, who was using a walker, to the center of the locker room to receive the ball. Martha, at 98 years old, quipped she was happy Sheila got the game ball because she "isn't as athletic" and the last two team owners both delivered a message to the team.

Sheila held the ball up with her right hand and said, "You guys are the best and we've just begun," which was met with more thunderous applause from the players.

Sheila Ford Hamp and her mother Martha Firestone Ford.jpg

Then, Martha, who stepped down as the principal owner and chairperson of the Lions in 2019, said this Lions team was the most pride she has felt towards any Lions team during the six decades of the Ford family's ownership.

"I'm so proud of our whole team," Martha said. "I mean it wasn't for how many years, 50? 60 years and I have never been more proud than this season."

The crowd in the locker room returned the compliment with another round of applause for Martha before Campbell finished the speech with another reminder the Lions were ready for the postseason.

"We are (expletive) hardened and ready to go, men," Campbell said. "We're ready."

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Bring on Stafford and the Rams
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Do you guys think Zach Ertz has anything left in the tank? He’s sitting there waiting to be signed
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• That's what they were saying on The Ticket last night after the game. I trust Holmes is figuring it out.
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I don't know if they're going to specifically sign a guy like Ertz (the Lions have thus far eschewed "big name" acquisitions in favor of JAGs), but they're likely going to add SOMEONE to the TE depth unless LaPorta shows some sort of miracle recovery speed.

Comment

• They need a reliable pass catcher. Brock Wright and James Mitchell haven't proved to be that. I don't know what if anything Ertz has left in the tank, but he's a smart veteran that has a ton of big game experience.

Comment

• If you are signing an available tight end, he is the guy. I think they need to sign someone just because they don't have enough guys as is to run the offense they are running. I don't think a mixture of Mitchell, Cabinda and Skipper is enough if Brock Wright is still hurt.

His wife was a superlative soccer player.

Comment

• You'd think so, but the Lions have seemed to actively avoid such a signing during Brad Holmes' entire tenure so far.

We'll see if Playoff Brad adjusts his philosophy.

Comment

• They could go with Firsker again. The reality is if LaPorta is not available, the offense will de-emphasize passes to the tight end no matter who they go with.

Comment

• But Khalif is probably out too, so that's down 2 key receivers. Unless there is a whole of DPJ and Green waiting to emerge, they'll need to do something to bolster the pass catchers.

Comment

Working...
                                X