X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions staying upbeat with Marvin Jones despite lack of impact on stat sheet

Justin Rogers
    The Detroit News

Allen Park — The re-signing of wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr. after a two-year stint in Jacksonville was supposed to be more than a feel-good story. A late addition through the free agency process, Jones was going to bring a veteran presence to the Lions' receiving room, rounding out an already-potent offense.

And even though it wasn't a one-to-one replacement in terms of the skill set, Jones was taking D.J. Chark's spot on the roster. The former Lion had battled an ankle injury during his one season in Detroit, but he still managed to contribute a touch more than 500 yards and three scores in 11 games.

But through four games in 2023, Jones hasn't come close to matching that level of contribution. Despite being one of the 10 most-productive receivers in franchise history from his previous run (2016-20), he's hauled in just two balls for 8 yards through the first month of the season.

Jones had a particularly brutal debut, dropping two passes and losing a fumble in the red zone in Detroit's win over Kansas City. In the three ensuing contests, he's seen his snap count decline each week and hasn't caught a pass, only seeing a single target.

Still, despite the lack of impact on the stat sheet, position coach Antwaan Randle El was quick to praise Jones' work on and off the field.

"It's clicking, it's just the opportunity," Randle El said. "I can't say enough about Marvin and what he's bringing to the table for us on the field — not just on the field, but in the room, too. As a 12-year veteran, I can be explaining something and some of the young guys can be like, 'Nah coach, I don't see it like that.' And then Marv says something, and it's like, 'OK, I get it.'

"Marv will be fine. He'll bounce back more and more. … We got a long season. We need every guy."

But with the return of Jameson Williams, who is coming off his suspension two games early this week after the league adjusted its penalties for violating the gambling policy, plus the slow increase of playing time for rookie Antoine Green, it would appear snaps could be even more scarce for Jones, barring an injury somewhere else on the depth chart.

Randle El countered, saying there will continue to be plays the team will include within the weekly game plan that Jones is better suited to run than others.

"Yeah, and I told him (opportunities are) going to be there," Randle El said. "The reason is, guys run different things. There are certain things that I wouldn't put Jamo (Williams) on that I would put Marv on, and vice versa. You would think I could put Saint (Amon-Ra St. Brown) on everything, and he would think so as well, but we just don't. Give it to Marv, and if it fits, it fits. If not, we don't run it. We try to put our guys in the best position to make a play."

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @Justin_Rogers

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Looks like mostly good news on injuries overall, but really hope Branch isn't out long. Missing him & CJGJ is tough

edit: I think I remember Sutton being able to play Nickel well. Putting him at Nickel with Jacobs & Mosely at CB might make sense.
      Last edited by El Axe; October 3, 2023, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• I mean, 100 passes a day on the JUGS doesn’t seem like a whole lot. Sun God does 202 everyday after practice doesn’t he?

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Jameson Williams' potential impact? Lions position coach calls back to Steelers teammate

Justin Rogers
                          The Detroit News

Allen Park — Antwaan Randle El started and finished his playing career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Drafted by the franchise in 2002, he returned as a free agent in 2010 for a final season.

Some of the faces were the same, but more had changed after four years away. Even with a franchise as stable as Pittsburgh's, roster turnover is just the nature of life in the NFL.

Among those new faces was speedy wideout Mike Wallace, who Pittsburgh had selected in the third round of the 2009 draft. He had been productive as a rookie, racking up 756 receiving yards and six touchdowns, but his output exploded during Randle El's final season, when Wallace caught 60 passes for what would end up being a career-high 1,257 yards and 10 touchdowns.

If you go back to look at the highlights from that season, you'll see Wallace time and time again taking the top off opposing defenses. He was one of, if not the preeminent deep threat in the NFL that season, averaging 21 yards per reception. Eight of his 10 scores were longer than 30 yards and three were longer than 50 yards. Harkening back to his days as a college quarterback for Indiana, one of those bombs came on a throw from Randle El, who slammed on the brakes after taking an end-around handoff to hit Wallace for a 39-yard touchdown against the Giants.

What's the point of this history lesson? Well, currently working as the Lions receivers coach, Randel El has the task of developing Jameson Williams. And when the coach ponders his pupil's potential impact on the team's offense, that one season overlap with Wallace quickly comes to mind.

"Mike Wallace, when I played, dude that can just run," Randle El said. "If you're the safety and the corner, you can't blink because the faster they get on you, the deeper you've got to get out, and that'll open up lanes for everybody else. If you don't get back, then the ball is out, it's over the top and it's six points. (And) it's not just the deep ball, it's, 'Hey, I can catch a short, shallow route and hit a seam and they gotta catch me.'

"I'll never forget Mike Wallace, he was the same way. He took a shallow route and took it 60 yards. It was just like, 'What? What happened?' because it just happened so fast. That's the way I see (Williams), in terms of his speed and being able to use it, so we'll get there."

A first-round draft pick a year ago, Williams caught one pass during his truncated rookie season, and yes, it was a deep ball, going 41 yards for a touchdown. He also added another explosive gain with his only other touch, taking a reverse for 40 yards.

Suspended to start this season for violating the league's gambling policy, Williams had the ban lifted two weeks early and is eligible to debut this weekend against the Carolina Panthers.

While away from the team, Williams rehabbed the hamstring he injured during training camp back to full strength, conducted two workout sessions a day — including an estimated 100 reps on the Jugs machine — and consumed a ton of football on TV.

A lot of that viewing was watching former high school and college teammates, cheering them on and sending words of encouragement via emoji-laden text messages. He shot similar messages to Detroit teammates Amon-Ra St. Brown and Brian Branch as they made big plays early in the season.

Williams' worst day of his suspension coincided with the season opener, when the Lions hit the road to face the defending Super Bowl champions in Kansas City. After distracting himself all day, the reality of his situation hit as he watched the game kick off.

But he refused to stay down long. In addition to the workouts, he studied the plays the Lions were running. Prohibited by his suspension from being in contact with anyone from the team, he broke down the play designs in his head, trying to piece together the intent of the calls.

But now he's back and everyone is excited to see what kind of impact he can have, whether he's able to mirror what Wallace did in Pittsburgh more than a decade ago or not. For what it's worth, Williams believes he'll be active for Sunday's game against Carolina. Beyond that, he's content to take things one day at a time.

“It’s just a process," Williams said. "Whatever (offensive coordinator) Ben (Johnson) has got going on for me, we’re going to get in, we’re going to execute, we’re going to make it a good time. We're just looking forward to keep winning. We’re 3-1 right now. Hopefully we can just keep this season going, make it to the playoffs, go far."

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @Justin_Rogers

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Going 3-1 without Williams was huge. I worry about his maturity but you would think at this point he can’t act like he’s doing the Lions a favor by showing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                              Going 3-1 without Williams was huge. I worry about his maturity but you would think at this point he can’t act like he’s doing the Lions a favor by showing up.
                              If Jamo can get his head together, this offense will not only take off, we would then be able to compete with any team in the NFL, including Kansas City, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Seattle, our Kryptonite right now.
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Last edited by whatever_gong82; October 4, 2023, 12:09 AM.
                                My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X