Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
    Campbell got the last tackle before halftime, I believe.
    Thanks K. Anybody hear what roster move the Lions made to make room for WIlliams?
    GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Sorry but it’s got to be Marvin Jones
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
        Thanks K. Anybody hear what roster move the Lions made to make room for WIlliams?
        Thought I read somewhere that the Lions won’t have to make any more additional moves. Matt Nelson going on IR takes care of Jameson Williams being added.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
          My favorite pasta, Anzalone, is also having a good year.
          Angel Hair Anzalone?
          "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
          Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• FB_IMG_1696286486520.jpg
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
              Good for me.

I'm working earlier that day, but I'll get off in time to at least listen to the 2nd Half online.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions' Week 6 matchup at Buccaneers flexed to later time slot

Nolan Bianchi
                The Detroit News

Good news for NFL fans at large who enjoy watching the Detroit Lions: The team’s October 15 game at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will now have less competition for eyeballs. The Week 6 contest was moved from a 1 p.m. kickoff to 4:25 p.m., according to a release from the league.

It is currently unclear whether the game will be aired as an “America’s Game of the Week” broadcast, though the other obvious choice for that selection, a 4:25 kick between the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets, has lost an element of quality due to Aaron Rodgers’ injury.

This swap also means that Detroit, which played all 1 p.m. games until Week 18 last season, will play its first three road games outside of that time slot (and with a little extra attention).

Previously, there were eight games set to kickoff at 1 p.m. and three games in the 4:05/4:25 window, with the Lions-Bucs move making the split seven and four.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @nolanbianchi

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions' Campbell sets low bar for returning WR Williams: 'Dependability. That's it.'

Justin Rogers
                  The Detroit News

Allen Park — Given Jameson Williams' talent and where he was selected in the 2022 draft, outside expectations for what the speedy wide receiver can contribute to an already-potent Detroit Lions offense are sky high. But after his suspension was lifted two games earlier than expected, as the league altered its gambling policy late last week, coach Dan Campbell's bar for Williams this season is far lower.

"Honestly, from me, it's dependability," Campbell said. "That's it. Reliability, dependability, get lined up, know where you're supposed to be, we're going to get the (correct) depth (on your routes) out of you and we can count on you to be where you're supposed to be, when you're supposed to be there. That's it.

"I'm not looking for yards, I'm not looking for explosive (play)s, not looking for touchdowns," Campbell said. "Just be a reliable receiver, like any of those guys in the room. That's it. To me, that's a good year."

Obviously, that's a necessary starting point for Williams, who is off to a slow start to his professional career, due to the suspension and a lengthy rehab from a torn ACL suffered in college that significantly limited his playing time as a rookie a year ago.

In six games last season, Williams showcased his explosive, playmaking potential with a 41-yard touchdown catch and 40-yard reverse, but he was also inefficient, hauling in just one of his nine targets. And his hands continued to be a concern throughout this offseason, as he struggled with drops almost daily on the practice field before being sidelined by a hamstring injury leading into his suspension, which was originally slated to be the first six games of the regular season.

Williams will practice on Tuesday for the first time this season, so Campbell remained unsure how much playing time the returning player will see this week against Carolina, if any at all. But one thing the coach made clear is it won't be a full workload for the second-year receiver.

"Yeah, we just got to see where he's at with football," Campbell said. "This will be his first week back, so we'll take it every day and see how he does. ... He just needs to come in. I'm not worried about him working (hard). He will. It's just about polishing all the little things. We also know if he does play, he can't play 60 plays. That's not smart. We can't do that to him. We'll see where it goes. It's all about improvement, no different than the rest of the team. Every week, we just got to get a little bit better. He just needs to get a little bit better and we'll take it from there."

Campbell noted, multiple times, that the Lions aren't dependent on one player to make the offense work, so whatever Williams provides will be a bonus. Still, even the coach isn't saying it, there's a clear path to playing time if Williams performs well in these early practices.

While Amon-Ra St. Brown and Josh Reynolds have been predictably reliable for the Lions, veteran Marvin Jones and rookie Antoine Green have jointly provided just three receptions for 10 yards on seven targets, despite averaging a combined 40 offensive snaps through the first four games.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter/X: @Justin_Rogers

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Dan Campbell calls this Lions player 'the secret sauce' to defense's hot start

Nolan Bianchi
                    The Detroit News

Allen Park — McDonald’s has the Mac Sauce. The Detroit Lions have John Cominsky.

After recording one of the worst defensive stretches in NFL history to begin last season, there are now so many playmakers on that side of the ball that some of the team’s best players tend to get overshadowed.

Case in point: Comsinky, a Lions defensive lineman who’s not always recognized as part of the team’s up-and-coming core on the defensive front, recorded seven pressures in Thursday’s 34-20 win over the Green Bay Packers and made the stop on a key two-point conversion in the second half.

But he’s done more than simply make an impact, according to Lions head coach Dan Campbell, who called Cominsky “the secret sauce” to a defense that’s ranked fourth in total defense (280.5) and first in run defense (60.8).

“Commish is just somebody — we talked about players, reliability, dependability — he fits that to a T,” Campbell said. “He handles a lot of jobs for us. He handles the big end. He can play the three-technique inside. He’s really one of the keys to us setting up our rush game when we get to third down, some of those things. He’s physical. He’s got push, he can separate, and he can play the run, so he’s just kind of the unsung hero for us and the D-line.”

Cominsky, a fourth-round pick by Atlanta in 2019, was claimed off waivers by Detroit in the 2022 offseason and quickly became an impact player. He recorded a QB pressure on 12.3% of his pass-rush snaps last season, to go along with four sacks. He earned the first contract extension of his career, inking a two-year deal worth up to $8.5 million to stay in Detroit.

This year, Cominsky has recorded 12 pressures on 109 pass-rush snaps and recorded his first sack of the season in Thursday night’s win.

“He’s the ultimate hard-hat guy. He’s got his lunch pail and his hard hat, and he just comes in and puts in some damn good days' worth of work,” Campbell said.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions notes: Campbell not fretting Goff's recent turnover woes; Moseley set to debut

Justin Rogers
                      The Detroit News

Allen Park — For the first 91 starts of Jared Goff's career, the Detroit Lions quarterback averaged more than a turnover per game, tossing 70 interceptions and losing 28 fumbles. But then something remarkable happened — a perception-altering, franchise-record streak of 384 passes without an interception.

That stretch of ball security coincided with arguably the best 10-game performance of his career, where he posted a passer rating of 104.7 and the team won eight of 10 games, culminating with a season-opening victory over the defending Super Bowl-champion Chiefs.

But for the past few weeks, Goff's previous turnover issues have cropped back up. He's been intercepted once in each of those three games, all on throws he acknowledged were his fault. And although the Lions have continued to be successful despite those mistakes, winning two of three, it's something he's wary of becoming a recurring habit.

"That’s three games in a row now and I need to find a way to clean it up and not do that again," Goff said after last Thursday's win over the Green Bay Packers.

To Goff's credit, he's responded to each of those turnovers with an immediate touchdown drive, leading the Lions back from a 10-point, fourth-quarter deficit against Seattle after the first interception to send that game into overtime. And he has otherwise been sharp in the team's thumpings of Atlanta and Green Bay in the past two games.

Coach Dan Campbell has been pleased with the way his quarterback has bounced back from the miscues and he expressed optimism that Goff will be able to self-correct after this recent rash of turnovers.

"He went right back to work and he didn’t let it — we were fortunate it didn’t hurt us, because our defense went right out and put the fire out," Campbell said. "That’s what you’ve got to be able to do is overcome those errors. But no, I don’t feel any panic and he knows. ... He knows and he doesn’t want it to happen. But what I want more than anything is I don’t want him to go into a shell or start panicking, and he’s not. I love that. It’s something that he’s thinking about."

Moseley readying for debut

After missing the first four games while continuing to rehab last year's torn ACL, plus navigating a setback with a strained hamstring, cornerback Emmanuel Moseley is on the cusp of debuting this week against the Carolina Panthers.

The early plan is Moseley will rotate with Jerry Jacobs on the outside, opposite Cam Sutton.

"Well, it makes us better," Campbell said. "We believe it’ll make us better. He’s another guy we’d like to see if we can get going this week. ... Feel like the time is right and he’ll get a little bit. Jerry will still certainly take the load, but I think the plan is to get E-Man worked in."

Injury update

Without seeing them practice, it's too early to make any declarations, but Campbell expressed confidence that left tackle Taylor Decker will be able to play this week, despite agitating his high ankle sprain in last week's win over Green Bay.

"Well, it makes us better," Campbell said. "We believe it’ll make us better. He’s another guy we’d like to see if we can get going this week. ... Feel like the time is right and he’ll get a little bit. Jerry will still certainly take the load, but I think the plan is to get E-Man worked in."

Campbell said time will tell with defensive backs Brian Branch and safety Kerby Joseph. The latter has missed the past two games with a hip injury, while Branch rolled his ankle against the Packers.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Here's how Lions' Alim McNeill prepared himself to have best season yet

Nolan Bianchi
                        The Detroit News

Allen Park — It wasn’t difficult to see the improvements Detroit Lions defensive tackle Alim McNeill made to his body this past offseason.

And now, four weeks into the 2023 season, it isn’t difficult to see how that’s translating on the field.

McNeill, who lost 22 pounds over the offseason, has been a force in every phase for the Lions’ defensive front, a stretch that culminated with four pressures and a sack in Thursday night’s 34-20 win over the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.

But as a defensive tackle, it’s not all about the counting stats. He’s also the anchor of a run defense that currently ranks first in the league, allowing just 60.8 rush yards per game.

And according to Lions head coach Dan Campbell, he’s at least partially responsible for the fact Aidan Hutchinson is among the NFL’s best when it comes to rushing the passer. After Week 4, the Lions lead the NFL in pressures with 49.

“(McNeill has) been big. (He) really has,” Lions head coach Dan Campbell said Monday. “We don’t take that for granted, and I think some of what you’re seeing, I feel like it’s really — Hutch is disruptive … he’s relentless at his craft and what he’s able to do, but I feel like it’s coming even more to life because of Mac too.

“Mac being able to … be a force inside is making a difference. I mean, one of those sacks we had the other day, it was actually Mac’s, was him doing exactly what we talked about on his stunt game. He ricochets off the tackle and Hutch loops inside and the quarterback’s got nowhere to go, and Alim actually ended up getting the sack out of it, just trying to really set up Hutch for a sack, and he got his.

“That’s just the combination of guys doing their job, but he’s becoming a disruptive force in there and he’s in a good place right now.”

While the weight loss has been beneficial for McNeill, it’s not the full reason why he looks like a new player in 2023. He said himself on Monday: “Some people are great athletes, but just not great at football.”

So, that’s why McNeill spent part of his offseason traveling to Dallas, Texas for a defensive-line summit with other pros, led by LSU defensive line coach Pete Jenkins.

“I was just working hands, feet, hips, eyes, just watching videos, talking to different former players and stuff like that, just kind of getting insight,” McNeill said. “I learned a lot, actually, that has obviously carried over with me into the season.”

McNeill didn’t seem like he wanted to get into the full specifics of his offseason training, but said one big thing he added to his toolbox was “your power-step, your punch-step, how that changes everything.

“Whether it’s a run away or run to you, that punch-step allows you to do anything. You create a knockback on that guard or tackle, whoever you’re going against, it kind of eliminates a lot of other things that’s going on,” McNeill said.

“(It’s a) six-inch punch-step, but it’s just shorter. Once you take a longer step, you’ll get reached and cut out of your gap. So they say six-inch punch-step is nice, short and grab your feet in the ground. Because if you take a long step, depending on who the guard or center is, they can get out in front of you and you’re probably going to be on your back.”

It’s not just the coaches who are taking notice of McNeill’s transition to becoming a dominant NFL defensive tackle.

“When I first got here, I was like,’ Mac is going to light this league up,’” Lions linebacker Derrick Barnes said. “Like, as he should (and) as he is now. Major player. Knows his role. Has great technique. Strong as hell, dude.”

A lot of the time, defensive tackles don’t get enough credit for what they do. They’re often tasked with thankless work that takes them away from the focal point of a particular play (except, of course, when they screw up). One could argue a lot of McNeill’s 2022 season was like that.

But in due time, he has become undeniable, and it’s no coincidence that Detroit’s defense has, too.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Lions' Julian Okwara returns to practice, opening three-week acclimation window

Justin Rogers
                          The Detroit News

Allen Park — Detroit Lions rush linebacker Julian Okwara returned to practice Monday, officially opening his three-week practice window after he began the season on injured reserve.

Okwara, a third-round draft pick out of Notre Dame in 2020, has appeared in 29 games for the Lions, including three starts. Playing 222 defensive snaps in 10 appearances a year ago, he logged 17 tackles (three for a loss) and 2.0 sacks.

Okwara had a big preseason debut this year, recording 3.0 sacks, but was quiet the rest of the way before missing the final week of practice prior to cuts because of an elbow injury. He still made the team's initial 53-man roster before being placed on injured reserve.

The Lions can activate him as soon as this week, but they are afforded a three-week acclimation period before they're required to make a decision on adding him to the roster or shutting him down for the remainder of the season. Even with injuries to Josh Paschal and James Houston, the team has decent edge-rushing depth with Aidan Hutchinson, Charles Harris, John Cominsky and Julian's brother, Romeo Okwara. Additionally, linebackers Jack Campbell and Derrick Barnes have seen time on the edge this season on obvious passing downs.

Beyond Okwara, the Lions also have a one-week acclimation window before they are required to activate wide receiver Jameson Williams, who is coming off a four-game suspension. If the team chooses to activate both for Sunday's game against Carolina, they would only need to cut just one player because the team has an open roster spot.

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Tailgating Lions fans featured in new documentary

Jenna Prestininzi
                            Detroit Free Press

They come from across the state: Young, old, blue collar, well-to-do, Black, brown and white.

On many Sundays in the fall, you will find them dressed in Honolulu blue and silver, gathered at Detroit's Eastern Market, a short walk from Ford Field, with one common goal: Cheering on the Detroit Lions.

"The atmosphere of all these people in the same place, rich or poor, different ethnicities, different political views, none of that matters when we're in the tailgate lot," said avid Lions fan and tailgater Willie Murray of Hastings, known as Bigblu. "We all agree that we love the Lions and that's what we're here for."

Lions fans are known for their unwavering optimism despite decades of disappointment. The Lions haven't won a national championship since 1957 and are among only four teams in the NFL that haven't played in a Super Bowl.

Now a new documentary is capturing the spirit of one particular group of Detroit Lions fans and what some might say is their fanatical fandom celebrated through elaborate tailgating parties.

The parties put on by the Blue Crew, as they call themselves, feature gourmet food (for the Sept. 17 season opener, the menu included smoked pork shoulder tacos with all the trimmings), DJs, costumes, customized vehicles and even a mobile hot tub. Fans come from across Michigan and elsewhere to participate in the decades-long tradition of cheering on the Lions through thick and thin.

The documentary, "Roar in the D: A Fan Story," premiered Sunday afternoon on WXYZ. Produced by Yellow Flag Creative Group, a Southfield-based production company, the project came together through an employee involved in the tailgating group.

Jason Falleti, 50 of Roseville, has been a season ticket holder since 2002. Falleti typically brings a yellow arrow to games, which he points up when the Lions score and to the side when an opposing team scores.

"My dad to this day is a die-hard Lions fan. He brought us up a certain way, it's in our hearts, it's in our souls," Falleti said.

Production on the documentary began over the summer, wrapping up with the start of the Lions' season this fall.

Karen Johnson, email marketing manager for Yellow Flag Creative Group, is a Lions fan and 15-year member of the tailgating group. She said the documentary represents the company's collaborative values.

"We're all about teams and team spirits and camaraderie," Johnson said.

Johnson hosted a watch party for the documentary at The Rubber Duck in Clinton Township Sunday, preparing ahead of time with decorations, candy and activities for attendees. Fans, decked out in Lions apparel, gathered outdoors in the back of the bar before heading inside to watch the documentary premiere.

Tige Washko, 49 of Livonia, is a 25-year season ticket holder and seven- or eight-year member of the tailgating group. The documentary demonstrates the firm commitment of these Lions fans, he said.

"It shows our loyalty because we haven't had a winning team in so long and we all stick together, we stick by our team no matter what," Washko said. "We show that we're loyal and that we're dedicated."

Ron Crachiola, a longtime Lions fan, started following the team when his father took him to a game at the old Briggs Stadium when he was 14, he said. Crachiola said he has been a season ticket-holder for about 45 years.

"I'm a simple guy, blue collar, and I love people, and I love football," Crachiola said. Being a Lions fan, he said, "is in my blood."

Johnson estimates there are about 150 regular tailgaters with the Blue Crew and they range in age from 7 to 80. They gather at the Eastern Market on home game days beginning about 7 a.m. and most of them later walk to nearby Ford Field to watch the game. One member flies in from the United Kingdom for as many as five games a season, Johnson said.

Johnson said the unique aspect of these fans made the documentary project worthwhile.

"Because this group is so special and so crazy, all at the same time, I knew I had a story to tell," Johnson said.

Anthony Manzo, 50 of St. Clair Shores, also known as Zo, said he appreciated the opportunity to gather with fellow Lions fans for the documentary watch party.

"I think it's phenomenal that they're doing this, that we can be here to have this event and support this documentary, I think everybody's done such a great job," Manzo said. "It's a lot of hard work, long hours, and I can't thank everybody enough."

This group of Lions tailgaters grew a special bond through their shared love for the Detroit Lions, Johnson said.

"I've always had sports as a big part of my life but being around these people, you see a whole different side of craziness and funniness and goodness, people that really enjoy each other and love each other and it's sweet," Johnson said.

Johnson said the tailgating group, which grew out of four or five other tailgating groups, has raised thousands of dollars for charities. One effort was set up by a tailgate group originally led by the late Donnie “Yooperman” Stefanski and now carried on by his daughter, Megan “Yoopergirl” Stefanski. It raised more than $55,000 for an Upper Peninsula hospice, Johnson said.

The documentary release comes amidst an unusually hopeful start to the season, with the Lions winning their opening game on Sept. 7 against the Kansas City Chiefs. Since then, the Lions have gone on to play two more games, losing the second and winning the third on Sept. 24.

"It's so exciting now that we have this team with really good expectations and the town is excited," Johnson said.

The Detroit Lions play their fourth game of the season Sunday against the Green Bay Packers in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

(Personal note: The game was already played on Thursday September 28th.)
                            My friend Ken L

Comment

• Detroit Lions rookie Jahmyr Gibbs off to slow start. But don't panic ... yet

Dave Birkett
                              Detroit Free Press

Jahmyr Gibbs’ NFL career is off to a modest start, but Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell isn’t worried about his rookie running back’s production one bit.

Gibbs has 179 yards rushing and 70 yards receiving through four games, putting him on pace for just over 1,000 scrimmage yards for the season. But the No. 12 pick of April’s draft has been quieter than expected in the passing game, and has yet to break any big plays.

“I just go back to this again, every player grows at a different rate in this league and Gibbs is only going to get better and better and better with time on task,” Campbell said Friday. “And look, he’s making the right decisions. There was a couple things that happened with that turf out there (against the Green Bay Packers on Thursday) that slowed him down a little bit and you’d like to believe with him in space, he’s going to create something there and didn’t quite get it going but he will.”

Gibbs had eight carries for 40 yards and four catches on five targets for 11 yards in Thursday’s 34-20 win over the Packers.

Gibbs took a backseat to David Montgomery against the Packers, one week after setting career-highs with 17 carries for 80 yards while starting in place of an injured Montgomery against the Atlanta Falcons.

Montgomery ran 32 times for 121 yards Thursday and scored a career-high three touchdowns. He nearly doubled Gibbs’ playing time, with 53 offensive snaps to Gibbs’ 28.

“We’re not panicking here,” Campbell said. “We’re going to continue to do some things to try to get him the football here. But certainly having D-Mo allows us the ability to use both of them and use him in a certain way.”

The Lions have mostly used Gibbs as a complimentary piece when both backs have been healthy this season.

On Thursday, Gibbs lined up as a receiver on about half his snaps and ran orbit motions three times in the first half as a decoy on handoffs to Montgomery.

He ran for 7 yards on his first carry, when he couldn’t quite slither through an opening behind a block from Amon-Ra St. Brown that might have led to a big gain, and he had no space to run on any of his five catches.

Gibbs slipped on the Lambeau Field turf on one first half target that fell incomplete and appeared to lose his footing on another catch in the flat, but was covered closely by defenders on both plays.

His only catch of note, a 9-yard gain in the second quarter when he ran a quick slant after motioning from split wide right to the slot, came on third-and-23 when the Packers dropped their linebackers 15 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Gibbs has looked as fast advertised, and showed more power than many expected in the Lions’ Week 1 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. He was credited with six broken tackles by Pro Football Reference.

The Lions also have used him to diversify the offense. He ran a variety of pass routes Thursday, including a go route when he lined up outside the numbers in an empty backfield set, and has played both alongside Montgomery and as the lone back.

Gibbs does have five explosive runs as defined by the Lions, carries of 12 or more yards. He had rushes of 17 and 18 yards in Week 1 against the Chiefs, and gains of 13, 12 and 21 yards against the Falcons. But he has yet to have a catch longer than 10 yards.

Atlanta occasionally chipped Gibbs as he left the backfield to negate his impact as a receiver – Falcons defensive end Calais Campbell hit Gibbs hard enough to knock him to the ground on his first target of the game – and kept a defensive back on Gibbs on jet motions that gave him a running start to get downfield.

The Packers used talented linebacker Quay Walker to limit Gibbs in the pass game. On one third quarter play reminiscent of the reverse motion the Chiefs used to score a touchdown with Kadarius Toney in the Super Bowl, Gibbs started far outside the numbers, motioned right towards the line of scrimmage, then reversed course at the snap. He caught a 4-yard pass in the left flat to convert a third-and-2, but Walker prevented it from being a much bigger gain.

Campbell said Gibbs’ role on offense will continue to grow, but insisted, “we’re not going to try to force feed him” the ball.

It’s fair to have expected more out of the rare running back taken high in the first round; Atlanta’s Bijan Robinson, the No. 8 pick of April’s draft, has 318 yards rushing and 134 yards receiving.

But at 3-1 and with plenty of weapons on offense — including the returning Jameson Williams beginning this week — there’s no need for the Lions to do that. Gibbs’ big plays will come.

“We got enough people that we can feed the ball and help us move and stay efficient,” Campbell said. “So this kid’s going to be just fine. He’s smart, he works at it and he does have versatility so we’ll just keep going here.”

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him @davebirkett.

Next up: Panthers

Matchup: Lions (3-1) vs. Panthers (0-4).

Kickoff: 1 p.m. Sunday; Ford Field, Detroit.

TV/radio: Fox; WXYT-FM (97.1).

Line: Lions by 8½.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Dan Campbell wants Jameson Williams focused on 'polishing all the little things' in return

Dave Birkett
                                Detroit Free Press

Dan Campbell is doing his best to keep expectations manageable for Jameson Williams, both as he returns from his four-game suspension this week and for the remainder of the season.

Williams officially rejoined the Detroit Lions on Monday, three days after the NFL and NFL Players Association agreed to new gambling rules that lopped two weeks off the six-game suspension he was given this spring for betting on non-NFL games from an NFL facility.

The Lions had morning meetings, a team weight lift and an hourlong practice Monday, and will have a padded practice Tuesday before an off day Wednesday in advance of Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers.

Williams should make his season debut this week at Ford Field, but Campbell said it likely will be in a supporting role for a Lions team that sits comfortably atop the NFC North with a 3-1 record and is coming off a 34-20 trouncing of the Green Bay Packers.

"If he does play, he can’t play 60 plays," Campbell said. "That’s not smart. So we can’t do that to him. So we’ll see where it goes. It’s all about improvement, no different than the rest of the team. Every week we just got to get a little bit better. He just needs to get a little bit better and we’ll take it from there."

The No. 12 pick of last year's draft, Williams' NFL career has gotten off to a slow start.

He played just six games last season in his return from a college knee injury, finished the season with one catch and one rushing attempt, and missed more than two weeks of training camp this spring with two different hamstring injuries.

Campbell said last week Williams is healthy now, but insisted Monday the team needs "to see where he's at with football" to figure out how much it can depend on him going forward.

"This’ll be his first week back, so we’ll take every day, see how he does," Campbell said.

The Lions rank eighth in the NFL in total and scoring offense after five games, but could use Williams' field-stretching ability to further diversity their offense.

Amon-Ra St. Brown leads the Lions with 26 catches and 331 yards receiving, and rookies Sam LaPorta and Jahmyr Gibbs have emerged as two of Jared Goff's favorite targets through four weeks. But Josh Reynolds (12 catches, 215 yards) is the only other Lions receiver averaging more than two catches per game and No. 4 receiver Marvin Jones has two catches for 8 yards and has been a non-factor on offense this season.

Campbell said his only goals for Williams this fall are to be a reliable, dependable player when it comes to executing his job.

"Get lined up, know where you’re supposed to be. We’re going to get the depth out of you and we can count on you to be where you’re supposed to be, when you’re supposed to be there. That’s it," Campbell said. "I’m not looking for yards, I’m not looking for explosives, not looking for touchdowns. Man, just be a reliable receiver, like any of those guys in the room. That’s it. And to me, that’s a good year. Cause we’re about winning. It’s not about one player, and that’ll help us win."

If Williams does that, Campbell said he shouldn't feel the need to make up for lost time and can assimilate into the offense naturally.

"I think what we’ve done a really good job of in these four weeks is, man, we are by committee," Campbell said. "The way that we’ve had production is it’s taken all of us. That O-line’s important to us and our skill guys stepping up. That’s from tight ends to backs to receivers, and so everybody’s got a job to do. And your number’ll get called at a certain time but we’re not a one guy’s carrying the load, that’s not how we work here.

"Certainly, we have players that we depend on, on that side of the ball that have come up big for us. You know who they are, but no, I think that’s just a — he just needs to come in and I’m not worried about him working, he will, and it’s just about polishing all the little things."

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X