OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I need more RAM and larger Hard Drive"
    ----------------------------------------I heard that about you.
    GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Re: OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Originally posted by DanO View Post
      "I need more RAM and larger Hard Drive"
      Oy!
      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Good info Gonz, thanks Top for the information.

Any thoughts on the Linex OS? I heard it's not all that user friendly but nothing else.
        "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post

Ya know, they build doors for a reason.

Quit putting your damn ear up against my bedroom door!
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Quote:
            Originally Posted by DanO
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Ubuntu for the Desktop is about the best desktop flavor of Linux. The gui is nice

If you have or can go buy a thumb drive you can install it the thumb drive and try it without touching your PC.

Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                You get that those are two different takes, right? You claimed 8 was awful outside of a touch interface. That's untrue. The desktop environment is just fine (equal or better than Win7).

The Metro/Modern/Touch interface is indeed awful and pointless if you don't have touch but you don't have to be in that interface. I never am.

I do agree there is no real compelling reason to go from 7 to 8 for most people.
                I'll beg to differ that it is better than 7....and there is a rumor that MS might start giving away 8.1 due to how much it hasn't caught on with the majority of end users. But to each his/her own. Hopefully they right the ship with Windows 9.
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by manwhohasstronggrip View Post
                  Ubuntu for the Desktop is about the best desktop flavor of Linux. The gui is nice

If you have or can go buy a thumb drive you can install it the thumb drive and try it without touching your PC.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
                  Have not clicked on the link but, my server at work was Linux, Red Hat and when the hardware crashed, lots of scratching heads about Linux.

An independent (and totally honest) source I have locally, told me Linux is not a OS that many of the geeks can relate to or repair. (......and I do acknowledge that is his personal opinion. I am also thinking if there was a reason to keep up with it, he would.)

With that said, it may be too reliable (but when it gives out, you don't have a lot of help to get it going again).

......just my thoughts about this way of making Billions in the information business.

.......I really gotta find a way to apply that to my business.

Comment

• My group runs 2300 servers on Linux with virtualy and physical servers. I've rarely had problems.

Comment

• I really had no problem with it until I had a hardware problem then learned it could not be adapted to new hardware.

(To be fair, my system was sold to me by my industry and since it is industry specific, it is my industry that is the problem, not the OS).

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                        I'll beg to differ that it is better than 7....and there is a rumor that MS might start giving away 8.1 due to how much it hasn't caught on with the majority of end users. But to each his/her own. Hopefully they right the ship with Windows 9.
                        For someone who works in IT, that take is seriously skewed. They are OBVIOUSLY comparing the Metro interface to Win 7.

Compare desktop to desktop and get back to me. My PC needs much less rebooting than it did on Win 7.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I hate the new Windows desktop. It drives me batty, my wife's laptop has 8 and she's always asking me how to do something. I eventually figure it out but it doesn't seem like the redesign made things easier, in fact it seems more difficult because they got rid of that start bar. Maybe thats where the touch screen comes in.

Comment

• Oh brother. I guess I am about to find out about all this bitchin about Windows 8.

New laptop should arrive shortly running Windows 8.1

Will be replacing my work puter sometime this week but determined the best for that application is still a desktop.

I was wondering though.

At home, I have the ISP coming directly into a router then, my desktop is hardwired into the router.

Wouldn't the router ease some of the security questions using XP online after the support ends?

Comment

• AE has Windows 8 and says it's great.!
                              "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                                AE has Windows 8 and says it's great.!
                                I dont know if you were just being generic but AE should now be on 8.1 with Update 1 due out shortly.
                                Last edited by Panoptes; March 23, 2014, 04:05 PM.
                                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Working...
                                X