No announcement yet.

All the Other Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Saleh is not it. That hot seat should be getting warmer after tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lionsfan123 View Post
      Robert Saleh Is not it. That hot seat should be getting warmer after tonight.
      The New York Jets aren't 'it' either.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
        It is amazing how the 49ers can just plug anyone into these positions and theyre like all pro all of a sudden. QB problems...lets just plug the last pick in the draft in and go to the super bowl....All pro RB out? Lets just put this guy no one has ever heard of and he will gain over 100 easily.
        They got lucky with Purdy. He should have been drafted a lot higher. Teams draft for measurements and arm strength, he didn't have that but he had a lot of starting experience and can process quickly. .Don't forget that they traded 3 firsts and a third for Trey Lance and he didn't become an All Pro. Darnold wasn't very good for them. They spent a lot of money for Garapolo.

Their running back success is mostly due to the blocking scheme, the same stuff happened with his father. The zone block, stretch scheme is great but you have to be great at assembling that type of line. If you fail at finding those lineman, that blocking scheme can look terrible. But if can get it to work, you don't need great running backs because they holes they run through are huge.

Comment

• The Jets should be OK, they won 7 games last year with a horror show at qb. But the irrational exuberance about the Super Bowl Jets should disappear. They looked like a team that hasn't had big games, because they haven't. The Niners were ready for action, just like the Rams and Lions were last night. All three of those teams have had playoff success to varying degrees and know how important those type of big games are.
          ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

They got lucky with Purdy. He should have been drafted a lot higher. Teams draft for measurements and arm strength, he didn't have that but he had a lot of starting experience and can process quickly. .Don't forget that they traded 3 firsts and a third for Trey Lance and he didn't become an All Pro. Darnold wasn't very good for them. They spent a lot of money for Garapolo.

Their running back success is mostly due to the blocking scheme, the same stuff happened with his father. The zone block, stretch scheme is great but you have to be great at assembling that type of line. If you fail at finding those lineman, that blocking scheme can look terrible. But if can get it to work, you don't need great running backs because they holes they run through are huge.
            One of the main selling points on Bryce Young was that he processes quickly. You just never know until they actually play in the NFL.
            "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
            Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
              I think overall, Rogers looked pretty pedestrian but it has been a long time since he has played. He may shake the rust off or he may be 40 year old on the decline. I guess we'll see as the season progresses
              I'm hoping for the declining 40 year old.
              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I also thought that Rogers looked slow in the pocket under duress . He always used to roll out to avoid pressure, now he just gets the ball out sooner. Kinda is morphing into Tom Brady.
                He still can sling it, but he looks tentative testing his legs right now or he can’t run like he used to.

Comment

• Yeah, that was definitely my thought on Rodgers too - looked like Brady in his last year where you give him a clean pocket he can still survey and dice up a D, but any noise around him and he just didn't want to take the hit. And when he had to move he moved like an old man coming off an achilles injury.

Still, first game back, we'll see if he gets better with some more live game reps. The arm still looks good when his feet are set, but I don't know if he'll be able to do some of that crazy shit he used to do on the move or when he could just rope one off balance.

Comment

• Many years ago, I saw a 40 year old Warren Moon play against Tampa Bay in Tampa. I had field level seats and was close to the game. Warren could still sling it,I mean really throw the ball, but he was trying to recover from an ankle sprain. He couldn't move very well and I think he injured it worse a week or two later and it effectively ended his career, but man could he throw the damn ball.

The problem with some of these old guys is that they can still throw the ball with some zip, but their bodies take so long to heal that even minor injuries are a real problem and they can't move in the pocket very well (I know Payton, Brees and Brady to some extent lost their arm strength)

Rodgers losing that mobility takes away a big part of his game. His ability to extend the play and throw the ball down field was part of what made him great (fuck it hurt to type that). If you take that away, I think he becomes a high/average QB at best.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

One of the main selling points on Bryce Young was that he processes quickly. You just never know until they actually play in the NFL.
                      Young is just too small. If you are one of those quarterbacks that gets by on processing quickly, you need to be able to throw over the middle. It's very hard when you are that small. Also with Young, he played at a football factory with great receivers. I like quarterbacks that have a lot of experience and they have to work with less.

But you're right on one thing, we don't know until they take a snap in the league .

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                        Many years ago, I saw a 40 year old Warren Moon play against Tampa Bay in Tampa. I had field level seats and was close to the game. Warren could still sling it,I mean really throw the ball, but he was trying to recover from an ankle sprain. He couldn't move very well and I think he injured it worse a week or two later and it effectively ended his career, but man could he throw the damn ball.

The problem with some of these old guys is that they can still throw the ball with some zip, but their bodies take so long to heal that even minor injuries are a real problem and they can't move in the pocket very well (I know Payton, Brees and Brady to some extent lost their arm strength)

Rodgers losing that mobility takes away a big part of his game. His ability to extend the play and throw the ball down field was part of what made him great (fuck it hurt to type that). If you take that away, I think he becomes a high/average QB at best.
                        It's been three seasons since he won the MVP. And even by then he's become a paper tiger in the playoffs. But he has to be just a better version of what Manning was at the end and the Jets defense has to be dominant. They didn't look dominant yesterday and he's not a game manager type. It will be interesting to watch

Comment

• Week 1 is so different/difficult to predict. Some very lopsided scores and bad plays. I didn't see any of the highlights - Is Minnesota that good or are the Giants that bad?
                          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• He definitely threw out some typical Rodgers pouty "well somebody else fucked up not me" looks last night. That worked when he was one of the best QBs in the league and the other players on the team couldn't question him. I can't imagine that will fly if he's not that guy anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

and the #2 pick, CJ Stroud, was supposedly not the sharpest tool in the shed...How is that working out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                                Week 1 is so different/difficult to predict. Some very lopsided scores and bad plays. I didn't see any of the highlights - Is Minnesota that good or are the Giants that bad?
                                Giants are that bad. That is all.
                                "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                                Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Working...
                                X