All the Other Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    One of the hardest things about being a quarterback is you are instantly the de facto spokesman for the franchise and you have to be the leader of the team of grown ass men. It's hard to do that as a 22 year old kid, some guys can do it but it's hard. It seems like he has lost the team and that's it. The quarterback generally has to be the biggest grinder on the team.

I don't see the Harrington comp. Harrington was a grinder, he just wasn't that good. The team sucked as well. Harrington was aloof and didn't want to be the leader of the team and that doesn't work for a quarterback. So I guess that is a common denominator with Wilson.
    Totally agreed with this.

I really liked Wilson out of college more than most. I thought he was going to be big. I don’t know about their offense but the Jets have playmakers at WR. Maybe he just sucks like the moon ball suggests

One of my pet peeves when it comes to drafting young QBs is not having an offensive minded HC. I truly think that was one of the worst mistakes by the Lions with Stafford.

Defensive minded HC tend to spend more time with the defense. I’ll never understand drafting a franchise QB without a offensive minded coaching staff. The Lions did it with Stafford and the Jets did it with Wilson. I wouldn’t confuse the two as Stafford looked the part early but Wilson should have sat. Especially in NYC.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Totally agreed with this.

I really liked Wilson out of college more than most. I thought he was going to be big. I don’t know about their offense but the Jets have playmakers at WR. Maybe he just sucks like the moon ball suggests

One of my pet peeves when it comes to drafting young QBs is not having an offensive minded HC. I truly think that was one of the worst mistakes by the Lions with Stafford.

Defensive minded HC tend to spend more time with the defense. I’ll never understand drafting a franchise QB without a offensive minded coaching staff. The Lions did it with Stafford and the Jets did it with Wilson. I wouldn’t confuse the two as Stafford looked the part early but Wilson should have sat. Especially in NYC.
      We got lucky with Stafford in his early years because we had a half decent OC in Linehan, so that helped Matt Stafford's eventual overall development as a QB in the NFL.
      "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Yeah I thought Linehan was fine for Stafford. A staple of the Rams' run last year was a suite of plays that was used with Stafford under Linehan and then Caldwell. Caldwell was great for Stafford. The problem for the Lions under Stafford was always lack of talent, not any development issues with Stafford. The big what ifs are having Titus Young and Javhid Best for a full career. When they had both of those guys, the offense was humming.

Schwartz was a DC, but nothing about his tenure indicated that they favored the defense over the offense. Schwartz basically handed the offense over to Linehan and the defense to Cunningham.

Comment

• Aaron Donald looks to be out the rest of the year
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Go Rams Go
            Down the toilet bowl

Comment

• Please just lose to Denver this weekend.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• 2nd biggest game of this weekend!

Having to depend on Nathaniel Hackett and Russell Wilson is a scary thought. Russell Wilson is 2-8 in his last 10 games vs the Rams. At least Wilson’s nemesis in Aaron Donald is out. Need the Broncos defense to carry their team to a win! Surely, Pat Surtain ii and Justin Simmons can do so…
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Jimmy Johnson said in the post game that TJ Hockenson trade was the biggest steal of the season for the Vikings....Also their kicker has won 5 games on last second FGs this year.

Comment

• Malik Willis started for Tennessee today....not good....14/23 for 99 yards and 2 INTs....maybe we didnt miss the bus here...he did have 43 yards rushing on 7 carries with 1 TD

Comment

• And San Francisco beat Washington today.

The Lions blew a major chance today to control their own destiny in the Playoff race.

If we don't make it, this game and the 3 that I can think of quicky earlier this year that we blew (Seattle and Miami at home, and the 1st Minnesota game on the road) really show how far that we are in order to be a solid NFL team.
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Another solid offseason, and they'll be able to make some noise. They won't quite be a championship contender, but double digit wins and a playoff victory or two should be the bare minimum for Year 3. If everything goes right, you'll have a championship contender in Year 4.

But what's coming up is hardest part of building a champion, going from the slog of that .500 purgatory, and finding the last critical pieces of a championship roster without the same sort of highly valued resources that you had when crawling out of the basement. We'll see if the Lions brain trust is up to the challenge.
                        Last edited by chemiclord; December 24, 2022, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                          Another solid offseason, and they'll be able to make some noise. They won't be a championship contender, but double digit wins and a playoff victory or two should be the bare minimum for Year 3. If everything goes right, you'll have a championship contender in Year 4.

But what's coming up is hardest part of building a champion, going from the slog of that .500 purgatory, and finding the last critical pieces of a championship roster without the same sort of highly valued resources that you had when crawling out of the basement. We'll see if the Lions brain trust is up to the challenge.
                          This is where the Lions have historically screwed the pooch: trying to get above .500 purgatory and become a legitimate championship contender. Ever since the 1991 season, that is where the Detroit Lions have been done in by not being able to improve on what they have and be better than what the Division, Conference, and rest of the NFL is currently doing.

Outside of 1991, basically really since 1957, this Franchise has been stuck in mediocrity (or worse) without anyway to move forward.

Now, we have to hope and pray that Sheila Ford Hamp, Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell, Chris Speilman, and the rest of the Detroit Lions brain trust see that and act accordingly.

This offseason, including Free Agency and the upcoming 2023 NFL Draft is going to be very important for the legacy of Dan Campell and Brad Holmes.
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Denver Broncos Football GIF by Broncos
                            Let’s ride!

(and go Dolphins and Cardinals too)
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

This is where the Lions have historically screwed the pooch: trying to get above .500 purgatory and become a legitimate championship contender. Ever since the 1991 season, that is where the Detroit Lions have been done in by not being able to improve on what they have and be better than what the Division, Conference, and rest of the NFL is currently doing.

Outside of 1991, basically really since 1957, this Franchise has been stuck in mediocrity (or worse) without anyway to move forward.

Now, we have to hope and pray that Sheila Ford Hamp, Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell, Chris Speilman, and the rest of the Detroit Lions brain trust see that and act accordingly.

This offseason, including Free Agency and the upcoming 2023 NFL Draft is going to be very important for the legacy of Dan Campell and Brad Holmes.
                              Thinking back to offseasons that got our hopes up to take another step only to fall woefully short that season:

1984 is when the SOL started for me. Coming off an agonizing playoff loss at San Fran, that seemed to carry over and then Sims wrecked his knee and never played again.

This offseason is a golden opportunity to get it right.

Comment

• Originally posted by GALion68 View Post

Thinking back to offseasons that got our hopes up to take another step only to fall woefully short that season:

1984 is when the SOL started for me. Coming off an agonizing playoff loss at San Fran, that seemed to carry over and then Sims wrecked his knee and never played again.

This offseason is a golden opportunity to get it right.
                                Same here.

I graduated from High School earlier that year, and with the Detroit Tigers about to win the World Series (their last World Series, unfortunately, as of right now), and the Detroit Pistons and Red Wings getting more talented while both being up and coming franchises that their leagues would eventually have to deal with, the Lions was the biggest disappointment to me, but this was before I learned about the late WCF Sr., and his incessant loyalty to inept clowns like Russ Thomas (and later, Matt Millen).

My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X