All the Other Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post

Don’t sleep on Fields as a pocket passer. Josh Allen didn’t fall into the NFL throwing lasers from the pocket - it takes time. And he had a much better situation in Buffalo than Fields has had. Allen was very much a running QB in his first season.
    I'm sleeping on Fields as a pocket passer because he was awful at it. That was the point Fitzmagic was making on the Thursday night. Truly drizzling shits awful. If you force him to deliver from the pocket, he is going to look like shit. They have changed up what they're doing offensively and he has looked different,.but everyone can watch tape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
      Philly has jumped up a couple of notches on offense because Hurts has dramatically improved as a passer. Last year he couldn't/wouldn't throw over the middle. He was completely pantsed in the playoffs by Philly. Adding AJ Brown was big for them, but Hurts has improved leaps and bounds in two years, much like Allen.

Fields certainly could make the same kind of improvement. But that's the whole point, he'll need to because running as your primary weapon at QB, you won't win consistently and you won't last.
      Not only that, Philly is one of the best at running manball. They can road grade teams.

Comment

• One constant that everyone must continue to remind themselves is NFL scoring is very static. There is not much deviation over the years. NFL teams average 22 points per game and that rarely deviates by more than a point. College football is not constant that way, the defense in college is shit. So when you are impressed by the amazing amount of touchdowns anybody can throw in college, it doesn't mean much for the pros.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post

Slow down…Justin Fields was still on the board at that point and there were a lot of fans banging the table for that kid
          I think you’re right after rereading our draft thread. Forgot that Fields had that much interest at the time. Sewell was clearly my top choice based on the available choices, but Fields was up there too.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Going into the draft I was hoping for Parsons just because I didn’t think Sewell would drop with Miami, Atlanta, and Cincy drafting ahead of the Lions. Once he dropped, I wanted him. I understand grabbing a franchise QB when one is available but I’m not convinced Fields is one. Mobility and scrambling ability are pluses, but like Froot is saying, you need a QB that can pick apart a defense passing from the pocket.

I’m not convinced about Lamar, Kyler, or Fields being QBs that can carry a team to a Super Bowl.

Comment

• I’m not convinced Jared Goff is that guy either. We know what Goff is at this point - not it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post

I can’t stand him. He’s so cheesy and just feasts on the behinds of certain prominent QB’s.
                Huckleberry's gonna huckleberry dawg gon it

I just turn down the sound or ff between plays to minimize him. Makes the game much beter.

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Evan Brown has been a sneaky good move and Fraley is underrated. It’s the one thing Quinn did right.
                No. No he isn't. Watch him for a game. He gets blown up on crucial downs and the best he can do is hold his ground on pass plays. He's a good backup OC, but he's not a very good backup OG. Speaks volumes on those other guys.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  I've been watching the NFL for a long time and have been hearing about this evolution of the quarterback as long as I've been watching. Steve Young played college football 40 years ago, that was the prototypical evolution of the quarterback. He didn't fully reach his potential until he was able to become a precision passer in the pocket.

When Fields runs he looks like how Young ran.
                  Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Josh Allen throws absolute lasers from the pocket and he has quick decision making. His ability to run is an extra facet, but if he was only a running threat, you could contain.
                  No one is ONLY a running threat. You can't even believe that.

What is the discussion here? It seems there are different things being bandied about.

Froot sees it in terms of the last century: :"Thal shall be Pocket Passers and Running QBs, And no other way shall exist."

But that's not how QBs are anymore old man. It's like me talking about Wilt, Kareem and Shaq in yesteryears' NBA. The big man game has changed and it's not changing back any time soon.

The NFL has changed also in that if you can't move and get a first down with your legs, you are going to be defensed a lot more then other teams that have a QB that can be mobile. And OF COURSE, a QB has to be able to, you know, QB. Make plays in the pocket. Plays from the pocket can't help you when your recievers are covered. Of which, defenders are really good nowadays.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

I think you’re right after rereading our draft thread. Forgot that Fields had that much interest at the time. Sewell was clearly my top choice based on the available choices, but Fields was up there too.

https://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...raft-round-one
                    Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                    I’m not convinced Jared Goff is that guy either. We know what Goff is at this point - not it.
                    ​​Could have had both

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

No one is ONLY a running threat. You can't even believe that.

What is the discussion here? It seems there are different things being bandied about.

Froot sees it in terms of the last century: :"Thal shall be Pocket Passers and Running QBs, And no other way shall exist."

But that's not how QBs are anymore old man. It's like me talking about Wilt, Kareem and Shaq in yesteryears' NBA. The big man game has changed and it's not changing back any time soon.

The NFL has changed also in that if you can't move and get a first down with your legs, you are going to be defensed a lot more then other teams that have a QB that can be mobile. And OF COURSE, a QB has to be able to, you know, QB. Make plays in the pocket. Plays from the pocket can't help you when your recievers are covered. Of which, defenders are really good nowadays.
                      Totally agree. Almost any good young QB is mobile. Hurts, Lamar, Murray, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert can rumble etc etc.

It’s pretty obvious that when the baton is passed more of these guys will be getting rings. I’m not saying the game will change to running QB’s but the ability to buy time scrambling and pick up first downs on your legs is an increasing part of the NFL.

Running has carried some of these guys until they work out the passing side. Allen was a huge runner in his first year.

Comment

• Pocket vs Runner is archaic

Comment

• Say what you want, but you better be able to deliver from the pocket.

If you think Justin Fields will be able to continue running at this pace,.we are going to never agree on anything.

Comment

• Both. I need both.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              Say what you want, but you better be able to deliver from the pocket.

If you think Justin Fields will be able to continue running at this pace,.we are going to never agree on anything.
                              Your man Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts used their legs as the crutch while they worked out how to pass. Now both two of the most accurate passers in the NFL.

Fields isn’t there yet but I think he certainly has the potential. Literally no one thinks he will be doing this his whole career.

Comment

• Being able to pass from the pocket is more important than being a runner in the NFL. If Fields does not improve from the pocket, he won't win shit.

That over rated midget in Arizona will be just another example of a QB who revolutionized the game but didn't win shit
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X