No announcement yet.

All the Other Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamar has been MVP, Mahomes is a mobile QB who has won it recently. Russell Wilson has won it. I concede most historic winning QB’s have been pocket passers but that’s merely a reflection of a passing era.

The idea that you can only win a Super Bowl with a pocket passer is outdated. The game and the position are changing. You’ll see more mobile QB’s winning rings in the future because that’s the way things are going.

Comment

• What you call the passing era isn't going away.

You have to deliver from the pocket, being able to run is nice and can help you out in a pinch, but you better be able to deliver from the pocket. Lamar may have won an MVP, but his flameouts in the playoffs have come directly from his inability to deliver from the pocket. If he ever wins a Super Bowl he will have to have improved that part of his game. There's a number of quarterbacks who have done just that.

Mahomes does run on occasion but he blew the AFC championship game last year because of terrible footwork under pressure. That also happened in the Super Bowl.

What Justin Fields is doing now is nice and needed. Make no mistake that running will be a crutch for his inability in the pocket that gets exploited by good defenses.

Comment

• Fields might break the QB rushing record again against the Lions - hell he could get 200 yards if they play they way they have against mobile QBs this year.

I was a proponent of taking Fields. He's got a long, long way to go though. Froot's right, if you can't pass from the pocket you're not going to survive as a high level starter and the good defenses will eat you up. Kaepernick looked like the next evolution at the position until teams just made him throw the ball.

Comment

• Kaepernick lit up the Packers in the post-season and came within a few seconds of winning the Super Bowl.

There’s something in what froot says but I believe the game is changing. And Fields is no fool in the pocket, at least in college. The kid threw what, 5 touchdowns on the reigning champions Clemson under the brightest lights.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
            Kaepernick lit up the Packers in the post-season and came within a few seconds of winning the Super Bowl.

There’s something in what froot says but I believe the game is changing. And Fields is no fool in the pocket, at least in college. The kid threw what, 5 touchdowns on the reigning champions Clemson under the brightest lights.
            The game has been "changing" for the past 30 years.

The era of the running QB is upon us! Until...the running QB takes a few hits from grown ass men that are bigger and faster than him.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I've been watching the NFL for a long time and have been hearing about this evolution of the quarterback as long as I've been watching. Steve Young played college football 40 years ago, that was the prototypical evolution of the quarterback. He didn't fully reach his potential until he was able to become a precision passer in the pocket.

When Fields runs he looks like how Young ran.

Comment

Kaepernick lit up the Packers in the post-season and came within a few seconds of winning the Super Bowl.

Yes, Kaepernick nearly won a SB and then struggled for the next 3 years before he was blackballed because he couldn't sit in the pocket and pick apart defenses. There's a level of competence supreme athleticism can afford you, but if you can't throw the ball you won't be long for this league as a starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

The game has been "changing" for the past 30 years.

The era of the running QB is upon us! Until...the running QB takes a few hits from grown ass men that are bigger and faster than him.
                  Not many bigger or faster than Justin Fields. He’s 6 foot 3 and runs a 4.4. See also: Josh Allen.

Comment

• Kaepernick lit up the Packers because nobody ran the zone read in the NFL. Harbaugh shied away from using it that much in the regular season to spring it on the NFL during the playoffs. For about a season, the zone read befuddled defensive coordinators because they weren't use to teaching it. It was a gimmick. Now teams use it as a wrinkle, but you certainly can't use it as your offense. Same with RPOs, you can use them, but they cannot be the base of your offense if you are serious about winning it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      Kaepernick lit up the Packers because nobody ran the zone read in the NFL. Harbaugh shied away from using it that much in the regular season to spring it on the NFL during the playoffs. For about a season, the zone read befuddled defensive coordinators because they weren't use to teaching it. It was a gimmick. Now teams use it as a wrinkle, but you certainly can't use it as your offense. Same with RPOs, you can use them, but they cannot be the base of your offense if you are serious about winning it all.
                      Philly in the post season will be a good litmus test for what you say. That’s a college, RPO and read heavy offense that has been doing damage in the regular season.

Comment

Not many bigger or faster than Justin Fields. He’s 6 foot 3 and runs a 4.4. See also: Josh Allen.
                        Josh Allen throws absolute lasers from the pocket and he has quick decision making. His ability to run is an extra facet, but if he was only a running threat, you could contain.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Josh Allen throws absolute lasers from the pocket and he has quick decision making. His ability to run is an extra facet, but if he was only a running threat, you could contain.
                          Don’t sleep on Fields as a pocket passer. Josh Allen didn’t fall into the NFL throwing lasers from the pocket - it takes time. And he had a much better situation in Buffalo than Fields has had. Allen was very much a running QB in his first season.

Comment

• Kyler Murray is another one that should probably run more, but due to his size the Cards are discouraging it....but really you are not getting the maximum out of a player like that.

Comment

• Philly has jumped up a couple of notches on offense because Hurts has dramatically improved as a passer. Last year he couldn't/wouldn't throw over the middle. He was completely pantsed in the playoffs by the Bucs. Adding AJ Brown was big for them, but Hurts has improved leaps and bounds in two years, much like Allen.

Fields certainly could make the same kind of improvement. But that's the whole point, he'll need to because running as your primary weapon at QB, you won't win consistently and you won't last.
                              Last edited by Mainevent; November 7, 2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Randall Cunningham was 6'4 225 and ran a 4.4 in 1985. He was one of the first to "revolutionize" the position and not win anything of note.

Every year since 1980 has been "the year that the running QB would change the game".

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X