No announcement yet.

All the Other Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's been done in the past, you literally tackle the eligible receivers at the LOS. It's hard to do against the Chiefs with Hill and Kelce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
      OT rules are fine for regular season but I don’t like it for the playoffs. But probably doesn’t make sense to have two different sets if rules.
      If I recall correctly, they did have two different rules for a bit. I think the current OT rules were first tried out in the post season. So a precedent has been set. But in general, I believe there are good arguments to be made for the OT rules to be different in the playoffs.

I was skeptical of the current rules when they were first introduced, but in general they seem to work out well. One simple tweak which would address these current complaints is to get rid of the coin toss completely and instead base it on something in the game itself. Something like - the team that had the lead at the end of the 3rd quarter chooses to receive or kick. If the 3rd quarter ended in a tie, give the choice to the team with the lead at halftime. If that was tie, give the choice to the home team. That's just an example, the point is to replace the coin toss with something that is in the game and thus deterministic.

Another positive of this approach is that, in the 4th quarter, both teams will know who will have the choice to receive or kick if the game goes to OT. And that would impact the strategies and lead to fewer OTs since one team will have an incentive to not play for a tie.

Comment

• Two ideas that i've heard that interest me are:

- Teams bid on who gets the ball first - whoever is willing to take the ball closer to their own goal line gets. So KC wins the flip, they have to say they want the ball and what yard line they are willing to take it on. Let's say they say they'll take it from the 20. The Bills could then say they'll play D or take the ball at the 15.

- Heard this one on Simmons show this morning, apparently proposed by a former NE coach 30+ years ago: if the team with the ball first scores a TD, the other team gets a chance to score a TD but has to do it in the same or fewer plays. I thought that was interesting, but have to think though some of the scenarios with penalties and such.

Comment

• Hell, don't even have to go to that sort of extreme if you're gonna go that route. The team that scored to tie it has to play defense first.

Comment

• The other thing would be you both get a chance with the ball, but you have to go for 2. If still tied after that, sudden death.

Comment

• Josh Allen has the right of it. It's not an issue.
              TBH, the game should have never went to OT in the first place. Even with 2 TO's the Bills couldn't figure out how to get a defender within 5 yards of KC's best receiver. In fact they did everything in their power to lose the game right after their QB made what should have been a game winning drive.

Comment

• Romo had it right talking about how they should have rushed 3 instead of 4 and had the 4th guy worry about Kelce instead. With 13 seconds left at kickoff there should have been no way to get in position for a field goal absent some crazy bomb.

Buffalo was probably scoring a TD as well, so this conversation will continue to happen as long as these results continue. It's amazing they had sudden death for so long.

Comment

• I like the NFL rules, you had 4 quarters to get it done. Period, you don't like the it, then win the game in regulation.
                  Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ken View Post
                    I like the NFL rules, you had 4 quarters to get it done. Period, you don't like the it, then win the game in regulation.
                    I mean, I’m pretty sure they tried. The Bills had numerous 4th down conversions and a 2 point conversion. They certainly weren’t playing to tie.

I hate NFL overtime rules, especially cutting it down to 10 minutes which has just led to loads more ties.

Comment

• I think they're fine in regular season games where most fans just wanna get home by a reasonable time.

In the playoffs... it's hard to justify a coin flip having such a huge factor in determining the winner.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                        I think they're fine in regular season games where most fans just wanna get home by a reasonable time.

In the playoffs... it's hard to justify a coin flip having such a huge factor in determining the winner.
                        True, this is a regular season gripe but I find the player safety argument hard to swallow that 5 minutes is a deal breaker when lots of OT is over by then anyway, a lot of teams won’t play an OT game once all season and it’s given us a load more tie games (the Lions have had two since it changed alone),

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          Romo had it right talking about how they should have rushed 3 instead of 4 and had the 4th guy worry about Kelce instead. With 13 seconds left at kickoff there should have been no way to get in position for a field goal absent some crazy bomb.

Buffalo was probably scoring a TD as well, so this conversation will continue to happen as long as these results continue. It's amazing they had sudden death for so long.
                          I'm surprised in the era of analytics that they didn't go for 2 when they got the go-ahead score and there were just 13 ticks left on the clock.
                          The odds of KC getting into FG position are low as it is (whether it is to tie if you kick the extra point, or beat you if you fail the 2 pt conversion).
                          The odds of KC scoring a TD if you convert the 2 pt conversion (which they'd have to do) - well lets just say they'd need the Lions 9 man prevent defense to even have a chance.
                          Seems like there was more to gain than to lose in that situation against that opponent IMO.
                          Now if they were playing an offense like SF? Kick the XP, game is over so long as you don't let Deebo touch the ball on the kickoff.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ken View Post
                            I like the NFL rules, you had 4 quarters to get it done. Period, you don't like the it, then win the game in regulation.
                            Agree. In fact people fail to recognize how unfair it is to give the other team a chance after the TD.
                            That team knows it has all 4 downs because it's sudden death. They will go for it each and every time on 4th down if they have to because if they don't it's game over. The rules essentially change to benefit the team that should have been beat already.

Comment

• Then the team that wins the toss elects to go second. I guess I'm not quite sure I see the problem other than it still gives an advantage to the winner of a coin flip.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                                Then the team that wins the toss elects to go second. I guess I'm not quite sure I see the problem other than it still gives an advantage to the winner of a coin flip.
                                The issue is people want the other team to be able to retaliate (no matter who gets the ball first and scores a TD).
                                In doing so, they get to play with a different deck of cards - because for them (unlike their opponent) it literally is sudden death. Nothing less than a TD will do.
                                You throw that 60 yard hail mary on 4th down, because you have no other option. Oh wait a minute, you do.
                                You build your play calls around the fact you WILL go for it on every 4th down, because you have no other option.
                                And then, they get the option to go for 2 to win and make sure the team that scored first can't retaliate? Gimme a break, it's too much.

Personally, I think the only time they should toss the coin in OT is during the SB (neutral site game). All other playoff games the Home team make the choice to receiver or kick - should be a perk you earn after 17 weeks + playoffs by that point. Keep the rules the way you have them. Want a chance to get the ball, don't let the other team walk down the field and score a TD.
                                Last edited by Fraquar; January 25, 2022, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X