All the Other Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    It's a good sign that the Lions only losses have come at the hands of teams that are showing they are right there in the mix. They're beating the teams they should be beating, and for the most part are holding their own against the teams in their tier (the bare-assed spanking against the Ravens withstanding).
    The Baltimore game has an asterisk though. We didn’t have Monty playing
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

The Baltimore game has an asterisk though. We didn’t have Monty playing
      Now, now, only KC gets the asterisks. You know that.

Comment

Now, now, only KC gets the asterisks. You know that.
        That seems like the case
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
          Boy, San Fran is falling off a cliff. Detroit took a black eye after the Baltimore drudging but some of these other teams are starting to show holes and stack L’s.

Brock Purdy is falling back down to earth
          Yep it's been an odd year.
          GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Well, part of this is by design.

The NFL has decided that a glut of good but flawed teams duking it out for the championship is better for business than a two or three clearly dominant teams and everyone else trying to jockey for the pieces that would make them a dominant team (if they are even bothering to try). Their every move since the late 80's has been about getting as much parity as possible.

As a result, it's less that this is an odd year, and more that this is the culmination of those designs.

Comment

Well, part of this is by design.

The NFL has decided that a glut of good but flawed teams duking it out for the championship is better for business than a two or three clearly dominant teams and everyone else trying to jockey for the pieces that would make them a dominant team (if they are even bothering to try). Their every move since the late 80's has been about getting as much parity as possible.

As a result, it's less that this is an odd year, and more that this is the culmination of those designs.
              I wished that someone was able to talk to the late not-so-great Owner of the Detroit Lions, William Clay Ford, Sr. at how this League was becoming and get some real football minds in charge for the entire length of his 50-year lousy Ownership.
              "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• I don't think there is a grand design by the NFL. There are just not enough good quarterbacks. The NFL has tried to mitigate this by really protecting the quarterback and it has worked for the most part. Guys like Brady, Ben, Manning, Brees went far longer than quarterbacks use to go, but eventually they had to retire. There are just not enough quality QBs replacing them and the backups are just horrid. They kind of need the XFL/USFL to survive just to have some liline for backup QBs to get reps. Some of these backups who are thrust into action are greener than goose shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  I don't think there is a grand design by the NFL. There are just not enough good quarterbacks. The NFL has tried to mitigate this by really protecting the quarterback and it has worked for the most part. Guys like Brady, Ben, Manning, Brees went far longer than quarterbacks use to go, but eventually they had to retire. There are just not enough quality QBs replacing them and the backups are just horrid. They kind of need the XFL/USFL to survive just to have some liline for backup QBs to get reps. Some of these backups who are thrust into action are greener than goose shit.
                  That's one of the reasons why we spent a 3rd Round pick on Hooker this year. If Hooker pans out, then the team will have an interesting dilemma to have in the next year or so: Do they extend/resign Goff, or trade him away for some future draft capital while they can, or let him leave for nothing?

What Jared Goff does this year (And probably next year as well) is going to have ramifications for the team going forward after this season is in the books.
                  My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

I wished that someone was able to talk to the late not-so-great Owner of the Detroit Lions, William Clay Ford, Sr. at how this League was becoming and get some real football minds in charge for the entire length of his 50-year lousy Ownership.
                    Ford's only concern was to get that one flashy player that would add enough excitement to put fans in the seats. He didn't seem to care much after that.
                    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

That's one of the reasons why we spent a 3rd Round pick on Hooker this year. If Hooker pans out, then the team will have an interesting dilemma to have in the next year or so: Do they extend/resign Goff, or trade him away for some future draft capital while they can, or let him leave for nothing?

What Jared Goff does this year (And probably next year as well) is going to have ramifications for the team going forward after this season is in the books.
                      I think ultimately you pay Goff....There just are not many good alternatives out there.....There are rumors the Lions could trade Hooker...I think they should hold onto him.....I imagine Teddy B is only here for one year....He will probably be looking to go where he can possibly start next year......

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

Ford's only concern was to get that one flashy player that would add enough excitement to put fans in the seats. He didn't seem to care much after that.
                        And that's why he sucked as an Owner. I seriously doubt that anyone in Professional Sports will be allowed to be as awful as Ford or the Wirtz guy with the Chicago Blackhawks back in the day these days.

Heck, the NFL and the Washington Commanders fans forced Dan Snyder to sell his team, I almost forgot about the former LA Clippers Owner (Sterling), and I was telling Washington fans that they haven't suffered like Detroit fans have suffered, since Danny Boy was forced out of the Owners box after owning the Franchise way short of the 5 decade reign of error Ford did to us in Michigan.
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

I'd disagree, Ford actually really wanted to win, especially near the end of his life. The issue was that he insisted on winning "his way," which tended to value loyalty above all else. It didn't matter how much you sucked, if he liked you, you weren't going anywhere.

Comment

I'd disagree, Ford actually really wanted to win, especially near the end of his life. The issue was that he insisted on winning "his way," which tended to value loyalty above all else. It didn't matter how much you sucked, if he liked you, you weren't going anywhere.
                            Exhibit One: Matt Millen.

Exhibit Two: Wayne Fontes.

Both had been in their positions way longer than they should've been, but Mr. Ford only got rid of both right after everyone else in the Universe BUT HIM knew it was time to cut bait.
                            My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

I think ultimately you pay Goff....There just are not many good alternatives out there.....There are rumors the Lions could trade Hooker...I think they should hold onto him.....I imagine Teddy B is only here for one year....He will probably be looking to go where he can possibly start next year......
                              Well Hooker and Goff are damned near the same age. So there’s that.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• The Packers play the Rams this week so we all will have to
                                Stafford fans this week and hope he pulls something out of his hat because that Rams team isn’t great.

Comment

Working...
                                X