No announcement yet.

Fuck these Fucking Fucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! We finished the deck yesterday. We had it all done except for trimming the ends where the boards overlapped on Thursday, but after working in the heat all day both of our brains were fried and I didn't want to mess it up so we left if for Friday.

I decided to add a couple of 2x6s to one of the joists on the long run by the back of the house. While I made the run to Home Depot for the lumber Jack cut the 12' deck boards in half so that they were ready to go when we got the joist shored up.

I had cut the boards around the posts on the porch to remove them and was just going to cut the new boards to fit around the posts, but we decided to use the jack from my car and a 4x4 to lift the porch so we could slide the boards under the posts. Young Jack was surprised at my engineering skill and ability to come up with a jury rigged solution to the problem. Kids are easily impressed, I guess. Ha!

All in all, it took about a week and a little less than $1000 in materials to do the job.

I am very happy with the finished product.

thumbnail_IMG_5516.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5518.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5521.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5522.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5523.jpg

Last edited by CGVT; August 3, 2024, 03:50 AM.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• It turned out great! Do you plan to stain it?
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        It turned out great! Do you plan to stain it?
        Yeah. I have to let the pressure treated lumber dry out for a month or two and then I'll put some stain on it. I'll probably just use a semi-transparent cedar tint. Maybe just some water sealer. I'm not sure.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hey you fucking fucks.

No projects this week, just some Hurricane Debby news.

We're keeping our heads down hoping the storm doesn't cause much damage.
          It looks like we'll get a bit of wind and a shit-tonne of rain. We have steady rain right now with some gusts and an occasional downpour. It looks like the worst will get here sometime tonight and will probably hang around for a while.

On another note, I added up all of my receipts and my deck project cost me $877. Not too bad.
          Last edited by CGVT; August 5, 2024, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• It's super humid up here and getting ready to storm.
            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• 454004049_1011895037062807_851266038126893138_n.jpg

Comment

• I can't believe the rain this summer. Normally, you cut the grass in the middle of June and that is sufficient until the end of August

Comment

• Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    I can't believe the rain this summer. Normally, you cut the grass in the middle of June and that is sufficient until the end of August
                    Yep, my lawn looked like crap this spring. The worst I've ever seen it. Now it looks great.
                    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• My lawn is awash right now. Ha!

Lost power at about 2:00. I falling branch took out a power line. Got it back at about 7:30

The wind wasn't that bad when we lost power but it has picked up a bit. We're hearing some small branches and shit hit the roof and house every now and then. Winds are about 30 kts with a few bigger gusts. We're getting some rain, but not near as much as I expected.
                      Hopefully the storm will move on and we won't have much drama.

Comment

• Hey! You fucking fucks.

In my area Hurricane Debby was much ado about nothing.

Living on this island, flooding from rain is really not much of an issue. The excess water just runs off into the marsh and then out to sea. The biggest concern when it comes to flooding is wind direction, timing of high tide ,and storm surge. None of those lined up to cause problems.

St Simons Island has a canopy of Live Oaks and pines. When the wind blows much at all, there is always the possibility of falling limbs, or trees taking out power lines. That appears to have happened in a few places last night, but GA Power was in top of it and got the power back up on most of the island within a few hours.

Our power went out for an hour or so this morning. I *think* they were doing a more permanent repair at the spot that the limb took out the power last night. (I saw trucks working there when I drove around to check out our rentals this morning)

Now all I have to do is clean up some minor debris in the yard and we should be back to normal

Comment

• It looks as if the storm is finally moving out of our area.

It rained and was blustery all day yesterday and a good part of the night, but there is a bit of sunshine starting to poke through today

The ground was so saturated that quite a few trees got blown over even though the wind was not all that strong.

My yard this morning

thumbnail_IMG_5528.jpg

Comment

• I need a sign like that that says "Republicans Against Trump"

Comment

• Hey you F'n Fs

I was mowing the lawn at the rental where I rebuilt the deck the other day and saw that the very outermost board was upside down and was starting to cup. I don't know how the hell I did that? It was the last board that I put down in the section of the deck and I guess my brain was fried from the heat when I did it.
                              So I took it up and flipped it over yesterday.

Taking a couple of days off from projects. I *think* I am going to tear down the bathroom in the master bedroom next. I plan on removing the tiled shower and taking out the vanity and linoleum flooring and removing the wallpaper and will probably have to replace some drywall. Basically a total gut job. I will hire someone to put in a new shower, but I will replace the vanity and do all of the plumbing and finish work myself (other than the shower).
                              The bathroom is tiny but has a double sink vanity. I am going to change that. The shower is so small that you can barely turn around in it. We have not used it for years. I plan on having a bigger, standard size shower put in. I should be able to do that by putting in a smaller, single sink vanity and taking out a built in cabinet. I'll have to replace the valves under the sink as they are corroded and can't be shut off.I guess I'll cap one side off and use the other for the new sink. While I am at it, I should probably put in an exhaust fan, too.

Young Jack will be back home for a few days before school starts and I don't want to have only one working bathroom for the three of us, so I wait until he goes back to school before I start.

Comment

• That sounds like a challenging project, given the tight space.

I am envious of all the projects you are knocking out!
                                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X