Fuck these Fucking Fucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanO View Post

Interesting. NEVER, EVER had a breaker go bad and I don't have to replace it when it trips. Obviously a fuse needs to be replaced.
    According to this electrician the problem with the breaker is sometimes when it goes bad you do not know and there can be more.voltage going through the circuit because it is no longer tripping.

I'm biased towards this argument because I do not want to change it out. But it is not that easy finding fuses anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Yes, that is a early 80s Kenmore washing machine. My wife likes to point out that the washer and dryer were her first "adult" purchases for her apartment here on the island when she was fresh out of college. We replaced the dryer last year, but the washer is still going strong.
      For me it's just the opposite, I'm on my 3rd washer but the dryer is still going.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

According to this electrician the problem with the breaker is sometimes when it goes bad you do not know and there can be more.voltage going through the circuit because it is no longer tripping.

I'm biased towards this argument because I do not want to change it out. But it is not that easy finding fuses anymore.
        I would imagine if you still have a fuse box your wiring could use an upgrade too, but damn, that shit is expensive.

I guess the next guy can rewire your house about the time he replaces the windows.
        Last edited by CGVT; June 14, 2024, 09:00 PM.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The wiring is a mismash of 1920s wiring tech and 1960's tech. The house was built in 1929 and moved to this current spot sometime in the 60s.. So the basement is fairly modern and it has been somewhat rewired but there are circuits that still have old wires with no grounding.

I do have to do something though. My son bought a hybrid and the garage outlet is on a Frankenstein circuit that touches half the rooms in the house. The pool filter/stove/car charge pops the fuse. I have at least one unused 240 line that I'd like to get run over by the garage. A level 2 charger will charge his hybrid in about an hour whereas a regular line takes 18 hours

Comment

• We upgraded our panel to 200 amp service so we could add a dedicated circuit for an EV charger.

The electricians did a great job and we are waiting on DTE to come bury our overhead line.

Thursday night, our air conditioning stopped working. It was a little warm but we made it through the night. Turns out the circuit breaker had tripped. We reset it and it was good for about an hour and then tripped again. Reset it again and it seemed okay, but I called the electrician. They said it was unlikely to be anything that they did.

Called the heating and cooling company and they came out and found no problems, but thanked me for the $125 check.

Call the electrician back and asked if someone could just check things out. They found a crimped wire in the new panel box on that breaker and also found the breaker was hot to the touch. They replaced it and redid the wire and we've been good to go since. Hoping very much that was all it was because we are about to hit a very hot stretch of weather.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
              We upgraded our panel to 200 amp service so we could add a dedicated circuit for an EV charger.

The electricians did a great job and we are waiting on DTE to come bury our overhead line.

Thursday night, our air conditioning stopped working. It was a little warm but we made it through the night. Turns out the circuit breaker had tripped. We reset it and it was good for about an hour and then tripped again. Reset it again and it seemed okay, but I called the electrician. They said it was unlikely to be anything that they did.

Called the heating and cooling company and they came out and found no problems, but thanked me for the $125 check.

Call the electrician back and asked if someone could just check things out. They found a crimped wire in the new panel box on that breaker and also found the breaker was hot to the touch. They replaced it and redid the wire and we've been good to go since. Hoping very much that was all it was because we are about to hit a very hot stretch of weather.
              Sounds like it was the electrician's fault. Tell them you will thank them for the reimbursement check.
              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• That sucks, Deb.Looks as if your electrician kinda screwed you over.

I've found that if something screws up right after you get something done, most times it's not a coincidence, especially if it could very simply be connected to the work that was done. When it comes to technical stuff, we expect the experts to know what they are talking about.

My sister was paying a handyman to help with some renovations in her house in Texas. He did some simple electrical work in the bathroom, I think he changed out a GFCI wall plug and when he left the lights wouldn't work. He came back the next day and replaced the plug with a new one, all the while charging her by the hour and for the parts. It didn't work so he told her he was going to replace the breaker because "sometimes they just go bad" .

I called bullshit and told her how to trouble shoot it and that most likely it was something he did. Her son in law watched some YouTube videos and took an $5 circuit tester over to her house and checked it out.

Turned out there was power to the plug. The handyman had it wired wrong and nothing downstream on the circuit was getting power.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

Sounds like it was the electrician's fault. Tell them you will thank them for the reimbursement check.
                  Oh yes, totally. But I could have had them check things first, I just wasn't insistent enough.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                    That sucks, Deb.Looks as if your electrician kinda screwed you over.

I've found that if something screws up right after you get something done, most times it's not a coincidence, especially if it could very simply be connected to the work that was done. When it comes to technical stuff, we expect the experts to know what they are talking about.

My sister was paying a handyman to help with some renovations in her house in Texas. He did some simple electrical work in the bathroom, I think he changed out a GFCI wall plug and when he left the lights wouldn't work. He came back the next day and replaced the plug with a new one, all the while charging her by the hour and for the parts. It didn't work so he told her he was going to replace the breaker because "sometimes they just go bad" .

I called bullshit and told her how to trouble shoot it and that most likely it was something he did. Her son in law watched some YouTube videos and took an $5 circuit tester over to her house and checked it out.

Turned out there was power to the plug. The handyman had it wired wrong and nothing downstream on the circuit was getting power.
                    Completely agree about it not being a coincidence. I should have trusted my gut more and demanded they come out first.

Shady handyman your sister had! Glad he didn't cause a fire.
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                      We upgraded our panel to 200 amp service so we could add a dedicated circuit for an EV charger.

:I'd be getting my money back from the heating and cooling Co. Glad everything is rectified.
                      GO LIONS "24" !!

Comment

• Over here, i do know that a lot of people think sparks are full of shit after an fuseboard to RCD installation. But they’re really not.
                        A decent spark will tell the client that there could be a problem with circuits tripping after the RCD is installed due to older wiring.
                        They are very sensitive and any earth to neutral ware will trip the board.

What i find fascinating is there are some RCD boards that trip entirely when you cut a DEAD cable! 🤷‍♂️
                        I can isolate a boiler (furnace), check the terminals are dead, then snip through the wire, then the room lights go out, client comes in saying their telly has gone off etc etc. because the RCD has tripped. Makes no sense to me.
                        It was explained to me how it works, but I probably wasn’t listening!
                        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Hey, you fucking fucks!

I got the walls painted and everything put back together before Mary got home Saturday. I've got a lot of shit to do today, so I will probably paint the ceiling tomorrow. I have to order cabinets from Home Depot, but we will be out of town for a week so I'll wait until I get back to do that. I am getting lazy in my old age, so I will order the painted cabinets and just slap them in place when they get here.

On another note, I looked out my window and saw a couple of fucking rats on my bird feeders. They are not great big nasty NYC type rats but they are rats none-the-less. I went out and they ran back toward the drainage ditch behind my house. I figured that if I took down the feeders and removed the food source for about a while I would solve the problem, so I did that. A day later I saw another smaller rat. I went outside expecting to scare it back toward the ditch and the little SOB ran up and into a hole in the soffit into the attic.
                          I quickly decided I wasn't going to fuck with that and called the man.

The Man came and set some traps and got one rat that day. No other traps have tripped so I'm not sure if there are no other rats in the attic or if they are just smart little bastards. He is coming by today to close off any places that they could get into the house. I'll wait about a month or so to put my feeders back up.

Fucking rats, man.

Comment

• I wanted to Like your post because of the video but I shall not like any rat-related posts!! Ewwww. I hope you solve that one quickly.
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Get yourself one of these bad boys.

Comment

• Mouse Trap Monday. Ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X