Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
    Great job repairing the drywall after wire re-routing. πŸ‘Œ
    Never heard the term Beadboard, but definitely seen it before over here. Must be called something else. Is it a standard thickness? Maybe 8 or 10mm?

And that opening through from the kitchen into the room with the ceiling fan,β€”β€”>> I assume you removed the wooden sill (i think its called a sill πŸ€”) , and are you still to refit it?

CGVT says: β€œGives a fkn chance! Paint takes 18 hours to fkn dry ya bawsac!”
    It is a type of wainscotting

The stuff I got was about 5 mm. It is low quality MDF. I used a plywood blade and put tape on the board to keep if it from splintering when I cut it but it still splintered some. I used wood putty to fix it. Once I got it on the wall, filled and sanded the holes from the brad nailer and the splinters from cutting and got it painted, it looks pretty good. There are some flaws but they are not really noticeable.

I put two coats of primer on it and two finish coats. I have a few touch ups to do today, but it is pretty much finished. I am really happy with how the kitchen upgrades came out.
    It changed the entire feel of the house. It went from nice rental house to cool little beach cottage just by changing a light and adding the backsplash and some color.

The sill was the same Formica that was on the counter tops. I removed it but didn't want to put quartz there. I bought a nice piece of pine board to replace it. I haven't decided if I will paint it the same color as the backsplash or just paint it white to match the rest of the trim. I'm leaning toward white, though.

And... The 18 hour dry time is definitely worth it. It will take about two weeks to fully cure, but when it cures it will be hard as nails and easy to clean. I wouldn't be able to use that paint if I was a contractor or in a rush, but when you have the time to let it dry, the stuff is amazing. It looks as if it was professionally sprayed.
    Last edited by CGVT; May 11, 2024, 07:42 AM.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
      After reading what you said about painting the backsplash, as a novice DIYer, I'm asking for advice: We are going to repaint & recarpet a room. It currently has an odd green countertop & backsplash. I think it's linoleum? Can we repaint it?
      I'd be leary of painting the countertop. I think it would be tough to find a finish that could handle the wear and tear of everyday use. I think it could be done and look great, but I doubt it would last. The backsplash could be painted for sure. I think you have rough it up a bit and use a bonding primer before you painted it, but I think it would be doable and look good.

I'm curious now, so I'm going to do some internet research and see what I can find.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

I'd be leary of painting the countertop. I think it would be tough to find a finish that could handle the wear and tear of everyday use. I think it could be done and look great, but I doubt it would last. The backsplash could be painted for sure. I think you have rough it up a bit and use a bonding primer before you painted it, but I think it would be doable and look good.

I'm curious now, so I'm going to do some internet research and see what I can find.
        FWIW, this is an "extra" kitchen in our MIL addition, so the countertop doesn't see much activity. The only time we've really used it much in our 20 years was last summer when we had our main kitchen redone.

Comment

• Turned out nice, CG! I like the color you used.
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post

FWIW, this is an "extra" kitchen in our MIL addition, so the countertop doesn't see much activity. The only time we've really used it much in our 20 years was last summer when we had our main kitchen redone.
            I spent a little time looking and found this. It looks like a pretty simple project. I'd give it a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
              Turned out nice, CG! I like the color you used.
              Thanks, Deb. We were looking at "coastal" blues and thought this would be nice. We really like it. it is not as grey as it looks in this picture.

I did the kitchen door with it too.

thumbnail_IMG_5312.jpg

I decided to frame the mirror in the bathroom today too. Such a simple project makes such a big difference in the look of a room.

thumbnail_IMG_5313.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5314.jpg
              Last edited by CGVT; May 11, 2024, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Did you do those mitre joints? Very nice!
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                  Did you do those mitre joints? Very nice!
                  I did. I did the joints on the trim on the bead board as well. Getting them right hurts my head. Ha! I don't do it very often so I have to really think about it to make sure I make the right cuts.

I have one of these. Cheap, simple and effective. I think it cost about $15 at Home Depot

shopping.webp

I finished cleaning up the inside of the rental house today while Jack pressure washed the outside. The new tenant moves in on Wednesday.

thumbnail_IMG_5317.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5316 (1).jpg thumbnail_IMG_5318.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5319.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5320.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5321.jpg

Comment

I spent a little time looking and found this. It looks like a pretty simple project. I'd give it a shot.

I showed this to my wife and she was pretty excited.

The only bummer is that we were close to picking out the colors and since we now are not limited to matching that weird green, we are going to start over, lol.

Comment

• The makeover in that house is really something else, CGVT......, very impressed.

Realistically, how much do you actually save by not getting trades guys in? Must be thousands of bucks. Quality job. The new tenant is moving into a great place. If I lived closer, I'd be binning the trades guys and getting you over to the house.
                      Sacha: "But, is he qualified?"
                      Me: "I do not give a fuck. Give this guy some of your brothers home brews, I'll go get a couple of cigars, and stay out of his way!"
                      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                        The makeover in that house is really something else, CGVT......, very impressed.

Realistically, how much do you actually save by not getting trades guys in? Must be thousands of bucks. Quality job. The new tenant is moving into a great place. If I lived closer, I'd be binning the trades guys and getting you over to the house.
                        Sacha: "But, is he qualified?"
                        Me: "I do not give a fuck. Give this guy some of your brothers home brews, I'll go get a couple of cigars, and stay out of his way!"
                        Thanks, Marko. I guess it depends on the job. I changed out the angle stops under the sink and installed the tap and hooked up the plumbing and the dishwasher. That might have cost me about $300 if I had a plumber do it? Removing the old countertops saved me $600 and I think the beadboard and painting would have run me about 2-3k. Running the wire, installing the light and doing the drywall work would have probably been a grand, maybe mor, and pressure washing the house saved another $300-$500
                        I paid a plumber to put a new water heater in the attic. That cost $1500 total. Ten years ago, I'd have done that myself and saved $1000

So I probably saved somewhere between 3 and 5k? It is cheaper now because I don't have to buy any tools. I pretty much have everything I need to do these jobs (if I can find the shit) and some of the supplies are left over from previous jobs so that saves me time and money too.

Where I really saved the $$ was when I all of those bathrooms in my house in Alabama, especially the tile and plumbing work. I'm guessing that was at least $30,000

Comment

• I had to have a wee chuckle to myself re a part of the above, CGVT……..

Your quote:
                          β€œRunning the wire, installing the light and doing the drywall work would have probably been a grand,​……”
                          End quote.

You go on to say, pressure washing the house, 300-500 bucks

My theory is a reality! Electricians the world over, are fucking daylight robbing bastards!! πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
                          Make a track, run a cable, repair track, install light……. Thousand bucks
                          Pressure wash an entire house, 500 bucks!

Those bstds must drink malty, milky, hot drinks before bed because how else do they sleep at night!

And β€”β€”->> they leave all their shyte after a job! Grrrrrrr!
                          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• My cabin up north had 60 year old lighting that was in a tube way too small dug underground. The result was we would get these surges that may the lights go bright and dim a lot. Of course we kind of got by with it, but it was highly annoying. The fix was getting a new line dug to connect to the pole. Trying to find electricians in the Thumb is an adventure and pricey. I think the cost was 3500 dollars and it was done in less than a day. But no more annoying dimming of the lights.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              My cabin up north had 60 year old lighting that was in a tube way too small dug underground. The result was we would get these surges that may the lights go bright and dim a lot. Of course we kind of got by with it, but it was highly annoying. The fix was getting a new line dug to connect to the pole. Trying to find electricians in the Thumb is an adventure and pricey. I think the cost was 3500 dollars and it was done in less than a day. But no more annoying dimming of the lights.

​​​​​​
                              Getting contractors to actually show up is an issue everywhere, especially for a small job like my wire run/light install.

Years ago, when I first lived on St Simons Island, my roommate and I rented an old house that was built as Navy housing back in the late '30s. It didn't have a/c so we went out and bought the biggest 110 v window unit we could find. It cooled the old house pretty well, but it sucked so much juice that whenever it kicked on, the rest of the lights would dim and the damn turntable would slow down. We were probably lucky we didn't burn that old tinderbox down. Ha!

Comment

…..and the damn turntable would slow down……
                                Are you saying that a/c unit turned every musical artist into Lee Marvin?!

Comment

Working...
                                X