No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah... cut the bullshit. Chris Illitch "spent' the bare minimum to keep the fan base from going into open revolt. Baez was actually the miserly option because Option A (Correra), you guessed it, was going to cost too much money. So Chris skimped and half-assed it, like he's always done.

Chris Illitch will never be your friend no matter how much you defend his miserly bullshit.

Comment

• Now they've won 13 out of 16. 2 games over .500. still a longshot to get to the playoffs but this is fun.

A lot of the perennial old arguments probably don't apply to this upcoming off-season. Sure Chris Ilitch is cheap and always has been, but this team is chock full of young positional players. They are now at the point where don't have to spend a lot to put a good team out there. Jobe will be up here next season and they are going to need probably one more starter. The best thing they can do is stop the Baez experiment. It actively hurts the team, it's a sunk cost and you are better off playing Sweeney/Kriedler/McKinstry there

There's still a question about Tork at first, but he has been taking since the callup.

Comment

• All the old arguments may not be valid anymore! I'll acknowledge they actually have the base for a team. The question is going to be finding the pieces to finish the puzzle.

It can be done the way the Tampa Rays have done it, but I'm still extremely dubious the Tigers have the sort of developmental structure that makes it possible. They might even be able to find those diamonds in the rough in FA for a fraction of top tier names will get. This personally seems like the most likely way forward, and if Harris is worth his salt, I suspect that's the only way they're making the jump in the near future.

But one thing that isn't going to ever happen is Chris Illitch dumping any significant amount of money into this franchise. He very easily could (do not believe his lies that the Tigers were losing money and this was the only way to solvency), but he won't. He will always prioritize stuffing the cash in his pockets over spending on a quality team.

Comment

• #birdsarentreal

Comment

• 70-68 with another series win. 4-1 over the BoSox. Still 4.5 back from the Twins. Crucial road trip to SD and Arizona, they are both playing well. Implausibly the playoff race is becoming less of a fantasy and more of a reality

Comment

• My dad is even texting me about the Tigers.

Imagine where the Tigers would be if ownership cared. This run is some early 21st century Oakland A’s-like magic. Amazing. Go Tigers! Keep it going…
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Part of the part about ownership caring is they wanted to do it by developing the farm and their farm hasn't developed homegrown everyday players since the legendary drafts of the 70s. But if you look now the team playing either homegrown or acquired in trades. Also, if you have enough capable bullpen arms and your manager is good, these bullpen games can be a distinct advantage because Hinch is tailoring his lineup to their starting pitcher but the opposing manager can't.

I'm not sure how sustainable this is, odds are still long that they make the playoffs but if they do make the playoffs, they will be a tough out. I think they need to finish 17-7 to get a wildcard spot. This week is critical with road trips to the Padres and A's .

Comment

• They wanted to do it like the Tampa Bay Rays, because it's cheap to do it that way, and there is one thing Chris I. cares about more than anything, it's being cheap. He "cares" about winning to the extent that he can win on a bare minimum budget. Make no mistake, if he has to spend any significant scratch to help the Tigers take that next step... he ain't gonna do it. Mark my words.

Comment

• They have been marked.

Comment

• I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Before the Comcast/Bally’s issue, I was able to watch Tigers games as part of my cable package. When the issue started, obviously anyone with Comcast couldn’t see the games. When they resolved the issue, the games didn’t come back for me. When I switch to Bally’s, it says I don’t have the proper package. I checked with my friend and he said the Tigers games are back for him and he said he didn’t have to do anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        They have been marked.
                        We're gonna see reasonably quick when it comes time to pony up for some of this homegrown talent. Skubal is going to command a mint, especially if he keeps pitching like he has. You honestly think Chris I. is gonna pay up? Because I don't.

Comment

• That's the big fork in the road, we will see what he does. Like I've said before, I was a pioneer in the Chris Ilitch is cheap theory,.so we will see when guys like Skubal and Green come up, I'm as skeptical as you but that's 2 and 3 years down the line.

This week that have a somewhat plausible chance at the playoffs, so enjoy that. And they should have the next two seasons for a run. We have talked about Chris Ilitch enough for the time being.

Game time is 6:40 tonight.

Comment

• They had some good pitching, unfortunately the Padres were.better and they have the best Tony Gwynn impersonator in baseball.

Comment

• At least the pitching kept the team in the game. It was the bats that were putrid last night.
                              "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• The Padres pitching had a lot to do with the bats. Joe Musgrove was on point yesterday. They have a day off today

Comment

Working...
                                X