Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Law (the athletic) on the TIgers draft

Detroit Tigers

The Tigers went for the high schooler at the third overall pick, taking Indiana outfielder Max Clark (1). Clark is the closest thing to a five-tool player we had in this draft, and if he hits in pro ball as expected he’ll be a star. He’s a plus-plus runner, makes hard and often loud contact, and can really play center field. He may also currently lead the Tigers organization in Instagram followers. They went back to the prep position player pool with Kevin McGonigle (1A), a shortstop from outside of Philadelphia who has one of the top hit tools in this year’s high school class. His left-handed swing is clean and simple, while he’s demonstrated an advanced command of the strike zone for his age so far. He’s going to have to move to second base, and there’s a split camp on whether there’s much more power to come from his 5-10 frame, but he should continue to hit even as the pitching improves.

Nebraska infielder Max Anderson (2) looks like he can just flat-out hit, showing more power this year, hitting good velocity, working the count, and ranking among the leaders in the Big 10 in most offensive categories. He’s going to start out at second base and will have to work some to stay there, with the only other spot for him in left field. I buy the bat, though. Lefty Paul Wilson (3) is the son of Trevor Wilson, who pitched for the Giants too recently in my mind for him to have a draft-eligible son. He’s got a plus fastball with good riding life to it, throwing two distinct breaking balls without great feel for either pitch yet. He’s had some consistency issues in the delivery, but did improve his control this past spring and should get over-slot money to buy him away from Oregon State. He’s a good projection high school arm, the kind of pitcher teams who want high school pitching should target after the first round.

Tennessee commit Carson Rucker (4) has a great right-handed swing that produces some power already and has the loft to lead to plus or better power down the road, especially given his frame. The Tigers announced him as a third baseman, moving him immediately off shortstop. Right-hander Jaden Hamm (5) comes straight over the top like an Iron Mike pitching machine, working 90-95 mph with a very vertical-breaking curveball and a surprisingly solid changeup given his arm slot. The Middle Tennessee State starter had a 5.31 ERA this year, in part because he walked too many guys (10.4 percent) but also because he doesn’t work that well to the outer or inner edges of the zone. Wake Forest catcher Bennett Lee (6), a transfer this spring from Tulane, makes a fair amount of contact but without any power; he’s a good enough receiver to maybe end up a backup. Pepperdine shortstop John Peck (7) doesn’t turn 21 until next week, but had a miserable spring, hitting just .272/.353/.441 after an atrocious summer on the Cape in 2022. He’s got a big leak after his stride, which may be why he doesn’t hit any kind of offspeed stuff, although he’s never shown great pitch or ball-strike recognition.​
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• We won't find out for a few years how this draft turned out.

Avila's drafts were awful and not well thought out short or long term.
      "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• I can't believe we are going to watch Baez for 4 more years. You don't appreciate how bad he is until you watch him every game. The catcher literally sets up in the other batters box and Baez is still swinging.

Comment

• Baez does have an opt out after this year-lets hope he takes it but no one would sign him for his production so he probably won’t. Not at what he’s being paid by Tigers I mean

Comment

• We can always dream

Comment

• Yesterday, for the first time ever, there were 3 games with a 11-10 final score.

Of course the Tigers would lose in one of them, in this case, to K.C.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• He still needs to work on his bat but Tork is doing well with his power. I hope he keeps progressing
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Tigers took 3 out of 4 in Kansas City today by winning 3-0.

Back home to face the San Diego Padres tomorrow.
                  My friend Ken L

Comment

• It’s time to wave the white flag and make some trades this weekend.

Ohtani too dominant.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                      It’s time to wave the white flag and make some trades this weekend.

Ohtani too dominant.
                      And he's hit 2 home runs in the nightcap.

Yep, just another day at the park for Ohtani.

Man, he is one solid player. Shame we don't see him too much. I take it back. After his performance in both games, I'm glad we don't see him often.
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

And he's hit 2 home runs in the nightcap.

Yep, just another day at the park for Ohtani.

Man, he is one solid player. Shame we don't see him too much. I take it back. After his performance in both games, I'm glad we don't see him often.
                        Angels are getting killed for not dealing Ohtani AND then trading for Giolito and Lopez. I love going them going for it. You have 2 of the top 5 players right now (Trout when healthy AND Ohtani). Get into the playoffs with a top 3 of Ohtani, Detmers and Giolito is pretty awesome (potentially)
                        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Angels are getting killed for not dealing Ohtani AND then trading for Giolito and Lopez. I love going them going for it. You have 2 of the top 5 players right now (Trout when healthy AND Ohtani). Get into the playoffs with a top 3 of Ohtani, Detmers and Giolito is pretty awesome (potentially)
                          That's if they get into the playoffs.

I don't like them against the teams in their Division when you have Texas which has 3-time World Series winning manager Bruce Bochy running the team right now, and you have the defending World Series Champion Houston Astros playing strong baseball right now.

And on top of that, you have the beasts in the AL East between Baltimore and Tampa, along with Toronto, the Yankees, and even the Red Sox.

I don't see how the Angels can get into the playoffs, much less win a series against the teams that I mentioned.

And if they somehow can get into the World Series? I would rather have the rosters of either the Dodgers or Braves over the Angels.
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• All players not named Skubal, Manning, Greene or Torkleson available for trade....Get em while they're hot!

Comment

• I would add Lange, Foley and Holton as guys not going anywhere unless Detroit is overwhelmed.

Comment

• I don't ever recall a possible rental like Ohtani being available at the deadline. It was uncharted waters. Most of the time it's a good player that can be had for a few prospects like a prospective Lorenzen trade or it's a great player on a long term deal like Verlander. What would you have traded for Ohtani, he's a great player but his price as a rental should be like 6 prospects because you are getting a pitcher and a slugger. I'm not sure anyone is giving that up for 3 months unless you can reasonably sign him to an extension.

He wasn't even supposed to pitch yesterday but they decided to go for it and there was the doubleheader. My son went down to see him yesterday he got a double feature, probably the greatest doubleheader performance in history.

Comment

Working...
                                X