Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    You are only fucked if you use the contracts as a crutch to not spend in the future. When teams are taking in over 300 million in revenue, you should be spending a lot of money on contracts. I think people think the owners keep all of the huge profits they make when they are cheap and store the money like Scrooge McDuck so they can spend it when they are "ready to win". The fact is, those owners who are cheap normally just pocket the profits. The Marlins have been doing it for decades.
    John Fisher in Oakland is definitely in the running for the worst active owner in sports.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• The thing to remember about the Cabrera contract extension is it was an emotional reaction to the disasterous negotiations with Max Scherzer. They offered Max a $144 million contract in the middle of the season and he didn't accept and they basically stopped negotiating with him. Ilitch was offended that he didn't accept, but Scherzer ended up getting 100 million more. They ended up giving Cabrera that monster extension as a show of force or something, it never made sense at the time and everyone knew it.

Comment

The thing to remember about the Cabrera contract extension is it was an emotional reaction to the disasterous negotiations with Max Scherzer. They offered Max a $144 million contract in the middle of the season and he didn't accept and they basically stopped negotiating with him. Ilitch was offended that he didn't accept, but Scherzer ended up getting 100 million more. They ended up giving Cabrera that monster extension as a show of force or something, it never made sense at the time and everyone knew it.
        Mad Max bet on himself and won BUT 120 million of the 214 million was in 15 million deferred payments from 2022-28. So yes, he got his money though at a discount (since it was in the future).
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

The thing to remember about the Cabrera contract extension is it was an emotional reaction to the disasterous negotiations with Max Scherzer. They offered Max a $144 million contract in the middle of the season and he didn't accept and they basically stopped negotiating with him. Ilitch was offended that he didn't accept, but Scherzer ended up getting 100 million more. They ended up giving Cabrera that monster extension as a show of force or something, it never made sense at the time and everyone knew it.
          As willing as Mike I. was to spend on his teams, holy hell did he have one massively petty and vindictive streak. How DARE you think you're worth more than what he offered?

Comment

• It was very reminiscent of the Sergei negotiations. Not as petty, because the Tigers were still holding out hope they could re-sign Scherzer the later it got into the off-season. But it wasn't to be.

The Cabrera situation is a bad situation, there is a lot of value to the franchise in letting him finish the season, but he is not even close to replacement level at the moment. If the team was a real contender, there might be more appetite to be cutthroat. But this team is not good, it's the second worse offense in MLB with a below league average staff. If that stays like that for the rest of the year, you are looking at a 60-68 win team.

Malloy should be up, but it doesn't make much of a difference.

Comment

• The issue is if Cabrera is taking away at bats that would otherwise be going to Malloy, and I don't see it. Miggy might be eating up a roster spot, but if you think Malloy needs reps more than anything, he wouldn't necessarily be getting that on the Tigers roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Mad Max bet on himself and won BUT 120 million of the 214 million was in 15 million deferred payments from 2022-28. So yes, he got his money though at a discount (since it was in the future).
                What are you, the advocate for Mike Ilitch? Give me a break with that.

Comment

• Here was a trade the Tigers made yesterday. These type of trades are supposed to be the thing Harris is known for.
                  The Detroit Tigers have acquired Brady Allen from the Marlins. He hit .256 with three home runs in 37 games at the High-A level this season.

Comment

What are you, the advocate for Mike Ilitch? Give me a break with that.
                    What? Those are the facts of the matter. 105 (I was wrong on the 120) of his 210 million was deffered. The Nats are also paying Brad Hand, Jon Lester and R Soriano deffered money this year (23.5 million counting Mad Max), Lester drops off in 24 so it will be 18.5 milion, then goes back up to 25 million in 2025 (Mad Max and Corbin).

Comment

• Ilitch screwed up. The Nationals flag flies forever.

Comment

Ilitch screwed up. The Nationals flag flies forever.
                        And, we're stuck with his idiot son for the forseeable future, kind of similar as how we Detroit Lions fans was stuck with WCF Sr. for 50 inept years of mis-managing the Detroit Lions.
                        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• Riley Greene and E-Rod to IL. That sucks… might put an end to this hovering around slightly below .500 trend of late.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Vierling is hurt, too. That’s a couple huge losses. Their “ace” and 2/3 of their outfield.

Olson got called up. Time to lean on the farm.

Comment

• They are going to get Carpenter back soon so that will help out the lineup. Marisinick is a very good defensive CFer and maybe he can catch fire for 2-3 weeks.

Comment

• It just amazes me how often Tigers players are injured year after year.

Comment

Working...
                                X