No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That may not happen, so far he's Eric Munson without the power.

Comment

• What is the feeling about the new President or GM? Obviously it’s early but does he seem like a potential Theo Epstein? (He’s the only baseball GM I know that has won a ring)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
        What is the feeling about the new President or GM? Obviously it’s early but does he seem like a potential Theo Epstein? (He’s the only baseball GM I know that has won a ring)
        He put a lot of time behind the scenes getting his people in place this offseason (as he should). He worked under a couple good groups of baseball people. Very young.

I think you are going to see a lot of roster churn on the last 5-7 slots of the 40 man. He went for a couple upside signings for the rotation (Boyd and Lorezen), signed a couple RPs on the cheap (Sherve and Wingarten) .

The common theme on the offensive side of things has been guys that can play multiple positions and have an idea what to do controlling the strike zone. I don't think that the guys acquired are anything special Vierling needs to actually hit RHP and his sprint speed (which is very good) doesn't matter nearly as much if he can't get on base. Maton said he found something in his swing last year that allowed him to get power-----I am skeptical of that becaue of small sample size in Philly (like 67 PAs).

The true test will be this offseason, because Miggy comes off the books. Baez and Erod have opt outs, so there could be no one long term on the books. End of the season there will be a lot of answers to the questions and Harris will have a much better idea of what to add to the Tigers big league club.
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          That may not happen, so far he's Eric Munson without the power.
          I know he’s still young but he was a can’t miss bat.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

He put a lot of time behind the scenes getting his people in place this offseason (as he should). He worked under a couple good groups of baseball people. Very young.

I think you are going to see a lot of roster churn on the last 5-7 slots of the 40 man. He went for a couple upside signings for the rotation (Boyd and Lorezen), signed a couple RPs on the cheap (Sherve and Wingarten) .

The common theme on the offensive side of things has been guys that can play multiple positions and have an idea what to do controlling the strike zone. I don't think that the guys acquired are anything special Vierling needs to actually hit RHP and his sprint speed (which is very good) doesn't matter nearly as much if he can't get on base. Maton said he found something in his swing last year that allowed him to get power-----I am skeptical of that becaue of small sample size in Philly (like 67 PAs).

The true test will be this offseason, because Miggy comes off the books. Baez and Erod have opt outs, so there could be no one long term on the books. End of the season there will be a lot of answers to the questions and Harris will have a much better idea of what to add to the Tigers big league club.
            Miggy's contract is the excuse that Chris I. is using to not spend enough to field a competitive roster. That won't change with Miggy off the books. The goalposts... or to use a more accurate analogy, the outfield wall... will simply shift to something else that's "holding back spending." They are already in the bottom third of payroll. How much overhead does Chris Illitch need?

The Tigers are never going to be competitive as long as he owns the team. It's all about how much cash he can stuff in his pockets.
            Last edited by chemiclord; April 1, 2023, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Miggy's contract is the excuse that Chris I. is using to not spend enough to field a competitive roster. That won't change with Miggy off the books. The goalposts... or to use a more accurate analogy, the outfield wall... will simply shift to something else that's "holding back spending." They are already in the bottom third of payroll. How much overhead does Chris Illitch need?

The Tigers are never going to be competitive as long as he owns the team. It's all about how much cash he can stuff in his pockets.
              There was an interview where one of the Tiger execs said they are going to do things "the Tampa Bay Ray way" instead of the New York Yankee way......We will see how it goes with this new GM/Prez but I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon.

Comment

• Of course they are, because those are Chris I.'s marching orders.

The Tigers will have one of the lowest payrolls in the league once Miggy's contract is off the books, and Chris will continue to cry poverty, and the rubes will eat it all up.

Comment

• That's been the Chris Ilitch way since 1995 and they have so far shown no earthly idea on how to do that. They are all talk on that front, the only time the farm system produced anything was when Mike Ilitch spent a bunch of money in the draft and they hit on players in the first round.

They said this shit with Randy Smith, the model back then was the Twins, they were going to emulate the Twins. They were terrible. I'm not sure who Avila was trying to emulate, but it was probably the Rays as well. Harris should get a fair chance to show what he can do but what the Rays do is almost impossible to replicate. And it's a dumb goal anyway. They play in a antiseptic dome with very little fan support in Tampa. Detroit is a much bigger sports market, has a much better stadium and the fan support is there even though the product on the field has been miserable for 2/3 of the last 30 years. They can spend mone, Ilitch chooses not to.

Comment

• This thought that people put into positions decision making at age of 30 and fails, cannot evolve and grow to become competent at age 50 is weird to me.
                    Give the guys chance in his second go around.
                    He made a tough decision and cut ties with Avila when the proof surfaced that hr wasn’t getting it done.
                    Most young guys are not capable of being executives at the top.
                    There is a reason nobody at age of 30 can run for President. They just don’t have the wisdom and reasoning ability to have that position.

Comment

• He was in charge in 1995 and failed horribly, he has been in charge since 2016 and has failed horribly. But if they have enough guys like you to go on blind faith then it doesn't matter.

What he is trying to do is almost impossible with very competent people. He is trying to win on the cheap and he has been trying that since 1995 and it hasn't worked at all. But yeah, maybe this time it's going to work!

Comment

• When the dude at 50 is doing the exact same things he tried to do at 30, it seems safe to say he hasn't changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          He was in charge in 1995 and failed horribly, he has been in charge since 2016 and has failed horribly. But if they have enough guys like you to go on blind faith then it doesn't matter.

What he is trying to do is almost impossible with very competent people. He is trying to win on the cheap and he has been trying that since 1995 and it hasn't worked at all. But yeah, maybe this time it's going to work!
                          On the contrary. What Chris I. did both times he would consider a rousing success. You just have to define "success" as less "winning games" and more "stuffing as much money into his pockets as possible."

Comment

• You're right on that

Comment

• The good news - they finally scored a run

The bad news - they are down 10-1 in the 6th

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                                Wake me up when Tork becomes the most major league ready bat out of that draft. What a bunch of shit.
                                Can you believe at one time Tork was only behind Bob Horner for the most home runs in college baseball. Where is this power or where did it go?

Comment

Working...
                                X