No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, the tigers are still around? What are they up to now-a-days?
    Last edited by gibby; October 29, 2022, 11:45 AM.
    Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Comment

• Hiring premium talent from top level organizations. I could see any player moved this winter. Maybe Greene is the only untouchable. Maybe Skubal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tork flipped. There is no golden goose.

Comment

• The Rays rape and pillage via trades. We just hired their top brain of scouting. We’re about to see a total blow up from top to bottom.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
          The Rays rape and pillage via trades. We just hired their top brain of scouting. We’re about to see a total blow up from top to bottom.
          That would be a good thing

Comment

• Amen to that
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I'd settle for a couple trades for better than average position players.

Comment

The Rays rape and pillage via trades. We just hired their top brain of scouting. We’re about to see a total blow up from top to bottom.
                I doubt you see a total blow up. The Tigers have been pretty good getting value in the later rounds-the last few years-: Skubal (9th), G Hill (26th) and Brieske (27th), Kerry Carpenter (19th). So the people that saw the ability in those guys should stay around.
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• The new sheriff is in town. Hopefully a lot of dead weight is gone. Maybe we draft players who actually play defense.

Comment

The new sheriff is in town. Hopefully a lot of dead weight is gone. Maybe we draft players who actually play defense at a big league level.
                    Keep this up, and I'm going to start charging you editing fees.

Comment

• Bring him home!

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• After the non tenders this would be what I would do and offer it as a possibility to the Tigers offseason. There are reports that Harris is willing to dip his toe in the FA middle class. Very hard to project trades so I didn't include them.

Free Agents

LHP Sean Manaea 52 million/4 years: Going into next season the Tigers top 3 are Erod, Turnbull and Manning. Beyond that though is a lot of questions. Mize is out for the season. Skubal is probably not back until the second half of the season. Beau Brieske showed he is a major leaguer. Joey Wentz is meh. Reese Olson had a breakout year in 2022 and will make his debut in 2023. Garrett Hill is meh. Manaea is a legit starter that take the ball every 5th day. He slides in very nicely into the #4 SP spot. Also Erod has an opt after the season too.

RHP Mike Clevinger 10 million/1 year: Wasn't long ago Clevinger was the ace of Cleveland's staff. Coming back from an injury and will be looking to take the ball every 5th day. He did wear down as the season progressed but after missing all of 2021 and most of 2020 (only pitched 41.2 ip) that was to be expected. He will be looking to rebuild his value.

OF/1B Wil Myers 8 million/1 year: Myers could be a possible starter, He can play 1b as well so you have a hedge against Torkelson struggles next year, Capable of playing the OF too gives the Tigers a RH option to go with their lefty hitting OFs (Greene, Meadows, Carpenter, Baddoo). So also a hedge against Baddoo not getting back to his 2021 self.

OF/1b Cody Bellinger 12 million/1 year: Bellinger has been awful the last 3 years. No doubt about it. He is also entering his age 27 season and a former MVP. I would also give him a 3 million bonus for making the All Star team with a vesting option of 500 PAs. That vesting option would be for 17 million in 2024. Bellinger can play an above average CF defensively. And is a very good base runner (4.5 Baserunning Runs last year). He is slightly better defensively than Greene in CF. Also very capable defensively at 1b, so another hedge against Torkelson struggles. The question is if you can fix his bat. He swings at high, high fastballs that his bat can't catch up too. That has lead to a much higher K rate and crashing BB rate. Maybe it doesn't pan out but the upside there is huge.

RHP Carlos Estevez 21 million/3 years: Entering his age 30 season. Estevez was very good considering his home park was Coors Field. A hard throwing arm (97.5 mph on his fastball last year). Righties were powerless against him (113 PAs) this year 204/292/306 slash line. You are going to see gas from him (threw his FB over 70% of the time last year). but has a change up and slider too. Slider was good last year but has been hit hard in the past. Still there is good upside here.

LHP Andrew Chafin 16 million/2 years: Chafin has said that he really enjoyed his year in Detroit and is open to coming back. He does have a farm in Ohio (I am thinking northern Ohio but not for sure on it). Going to have to pay a little bit to get him to stay.

That is a 161 million dollar payroll right there.

Rotation: Erod, Manning, Turnbull, Manaea, Clevinger

Bulllpen

(lefties): Soto, Chafin, Alexander

(righties)L Jimenez, Estevez, Cisnero, Lange

There would probably be one bullpen spot open and not sure that Cisnero makes the team.

OF: Bellinger, Greene, Meadows, Baddoo, Myers

IF: Baez, Kriedler, Schoop, Torkleson, Clemens

c: Rogers, Haase

DH: Miggy

Baez, Schoop, Greene and Meadows are locked in to playing every day. Miggy is a bench player at this point for me, he just can't stay healthy. Kriedler and Clemens have a time share at 3b. I would use the DH and the other OF corner slot to mix and match Bellinger/Myers/Baddoo. If Torkelson struggles you could add 1B into that mix to get Myers in the lineup some days.
                        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Who the fuck cares about these middling types. Hopefully we bring in some actual young talent worth a shit. The only way we get better is taking some chances and letting guys play.

Comment

Who the fuck cares about these middling types. Hopefully we bring in some actual young talent worth a shit. The only way we get better is taking some chances and letting guys play.

The only locks for the starting lineup are Baez, Schoop, Greene and Meadows.

Miggy should be a PT player at best.

Hopefully, Baddoo and Torkelson are the players the Tigers need them to be but it would be smart to hedge those bets.

3b in FA is dreadful. So you might as well go with Clemens and Kriedler there unless there is someone worthwhile in a trade (and it will cost as lot. At least Kriedler and Clemens are a defensive upgrade from Candelario last year.

Bellinger is a total upside play. But the type of one that teams like Detroit should roll the dice on. If he sucks you are out 12 million.

Clevinger is another upside play. If he hits you move him for something tasty. If not it is one year deal.fir only 10 million.

Myers fills a need for Detroit a RH hitting OF.

Chafin and Estevez are multi year signings true. But Chafin will be in demand at the deadline. And both of them do add to the bullpen depth and allow Detroit to deal from that depth to address other areas

​​​​Manaea adds a solid vet arm. While you can argue that the Tigers don't necessarily need another vet starter. The reality is that Erod can opt out after the season. Turnbull is coming back from TJ surgery and Mize is gone for the 23 season. Skubal is out until the AS break.

Brieske will get starts this year. So will Reese Olson. Maybe even Garrett Hill and Wilmer Flores. If you count Skubal that is a legit 10 SP guys.

Worst case the one year guys flop. Javy and Erod opt out. Tigers would shed 91 million in contracts under this plan (Miggy buyout, javy, Erod, clevinger, Myers and Bellinger).. you

Comment

• Let Whitley has his fun, he has been doing these hot stove posts for over 20 years. The numbers and names are always wildly off but he putting his name to something.

Comment

• Matthew Boyd come on down.

Comment

Working...
                                X