• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I’m not a Chris Illitch apologist either

Comment

• But I’m not a Chris Illich apologist either

Comment

• Operating costs above the active payroll is not 100 million dollars. Ha, there is every incentive for owners to always cry poor. You'll notice these teams are always supposedly losing money but they never fold and they always sell for a huge profit. The biggest incentive is the fans eat it up.

With the TV money alone they are making well over 100 million a year. They get 60 million from the league and we don't know their local contract because it is new, but it is considerably higher than 40 million a year they had with Fox Sports Detroit.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
          The point is that when Chris Illitch bemoans how the Tigers simply don't have that sort of money, he's lying. He just doesn't want to, because then that might cut into the cash he stuffs in his pockets at the end of the day.

The team was (and would be) perfectly sustainable with a payroll double what it is now. But then he might have to rely on things like ticket sales and a competent front office to keep his profits where he wants them to be, and well... we can't have that, now can we?
          Correct, they were making money when Mr. I was spending.

Comment

• Futures game is Sunday here are the 2 Tigers in that game (each team gets 2). MLB scout comments here (from the athletic)

Wilmer Flores
            21 | Starter | Detroit | High A/Double A
            2.30 ERA, 58 2/3 IP, 35 K%, 4 BB%

No, not that Wilmer Flores, but he is the brother of the Giants infielder (they have different middle names). And he has got gas. Flores first popped for scouts last year in the Arizona Fall League, where he hit 98 mph with his fastball. The Tigers have pitched him as a starter this year, being very conservative with his innings in the process. Some scouts see potential for the 21-year-old right-hander to eventually claim a spot in the middle of the rotation. Flores has walked only 10 batters all year and flashes an inconsistent yet tantalizing breaking ball that could be quite the whiff weapon. A high-leverage reliever may be the most likely outcome, but the starter upside is fun to dream on.

Dillon Dingler
            23 | Detroit | Double A
            69 G, .241/.329/.409, 9 BB%, 32 K%, 15 2B, 2 3B, 8 HR

A second-round pick out of The Ohio State University — Buckeye fans, having to say it that way is never not annoying — Dingler raked at High A last year but has had more muted production at Double A so far. “Someone’s got to catch in the big leagues,” one scout said, which is hardly a glowing endorsement. A high strikeout rate this year limits the effectiveness of Dingler’s raw power, and there are mixed reviews of his work behind the plate. Like with Diaz, the advent of ABS could change his defensive outlook. Unlike Diaz, Dingler doesn’t appear to be a middle-of-the-order bat, with scouts projecting him as someone who hits seventh or eighth in a big-league lineup.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Back to 14 games below .500 pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                So... let me get this straight. You're saying that the company that makes money and benefits directly from the team's existence shouldn't be included in what the team should be expected to spend because it's a different name on the ledger?

Really? That's the angle you're going with? So, let's say Illitch decided to transfer all the revenues from the Tigers to "Stuff My Pockets Inc." then the Tigers really shouldn't be expected to have a payroll more than $0 because it's obviously not the Detroit Tigers making that money? After all, Stuff My Pockets Inc. is a completely different company with a different product!

Am I doin' this rite?
                No, I'm saying if I have two or more entities under one umbrella one being more profitable than the others doesn't mean you should dump more money into the less profitable one. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You guys want them to make terrible financial decisions to make you feel better.

Comment

• They can easily afford a payroll that they had 8 years ago, you just like to make excuses for Chris Ilitch to make yourself feel better.

14 games below .500 let's see some more.fangraphs articles on their great farm system

Comment

• When you pay money in the many, numerous parking lots in District Detroit when you go to the Tiger games you are paying Olympia entertainment.

Comment

• I wonder where they lean in the draft. Sounds like a college hitter, but they are connected to arms.

I read how the Mets could basically draft one high priced HS guy and combine the slot money to sign that dude. They have 11 and 14. They could essentially punt one of those picks. Could be interesting. They have an owner who doesn’t give a shit, so they could go off script.

Comment

• It doesn't make me feel better to live in reality. It just is. I certainly don't give any fucks about some asshole who inherited riches. Doesn't change the facts.

Comment

• Point is, shell companies like Olympia are where people like Chris Illitch hide money from media and fans as he tries to fool you into thinking that he simply can't spend money on the teams he owns.

That is revenue that could ABSOLUTELY be put into the Tigers, and SHOULD be put into the Tigers. All that money instead goes straight into Chris Illitch's back pocket as he pulls out his front pockets to try and convince you they're empty. Anything that goes into Olympia Entertainment or 313 Presents on game day is revenue that is directly related to the Tigers.

The amount of revenue that Chris I. claims the Tigers get from those ventures? $0.

Stop falling for his lies. He CAN spend more. He just doesn't WANT TO.
                          Last edited by chemiclord; July 15, 2022, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Back to 15 games under .500

Comment

• This has to be the worst thread in the forum at the moment. There’s zero baseball talk. Strictly ownership and a trade that happened years ago.

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I wish there were more positives with the team to talk about.

Comment

Working...
                                X