No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey question for whoever knows a lot about draft bonus money. The Tigers have 4 picks signed. Tork and Cabrera (the two Scott Boras clients) are left. The Tigers went a bit over slot value to sign Colt Keith (I get it) and Trei Cruz (I don't get it). It sounds like Workman and Dingler got full slot value.

I don't know much about this, but wouldn't that mean they have slightly less than full slot value to sign Tork and Cabrera? Seems risky on Boras guys if so.
    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

They are at 116K over. Teams are allowed to go 5% over their total pool. Off my head, I think our pool was something like $13.3 million. So we can spend up to $14 million. Once you go over 5% (no team ever has) then you lose your 1st next year.

I don’t think the #1 pick has ever signed for full slot (read that somewhere.) Tork has a slot of $8.4.

All things considered, we are in great shape.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
        They are at 116K over. Teams are allowed to go 5% over their total pool. Off my head, I think our pool was something like $13.3 million. So we can spend up to $14 million. Once you go over 5% (no team ever has) then you lose your 1st next year.

I don’t think the #1 pick has ever signed for full slot (read that somewhere.) Tork has a slot of $8.4.

All things considered, we are in great shape.
        Cool sounds good thanks

Comment

I know all this is a crap shoot in baseball but this is the best I’ve felt about the Tigers youth in awhile. Normally it’s stockpiling arms that never get there.

If they tank one more year and grab the best player in next years draft they’ll be looking good for the future
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

It's just nice that in a 5 round draft they grabbed 6 players with legit offensive potential. Cruz is the guy I'm least hopeful about, but at least he has that 3rd generation thing going for him. He could be the 2nd most likely to not bust, even tho he doesn't have elite upside

Comment

They seemed to focus a lot on Cape performance last summer and the roughly 20 games this year via college. A lot of these guys had track records prior, but it seems we were really scouting hard the past year or so. I read we had 4 scouts see Dingler this year and he had 5 homers during the short season. Cruz was another guy who flashed.

Who knows, it’s all a crapshoot. It was a great haul overall based on past production and recent trends.

We’ve clearly updated our scouting dept with analytics. I’ve seen this mentioned a few times in various places. We’ve sort of reached the “modern age” the past two years or so.

Comment

• Tigers fourth-round pick Gage Workman will come in at $1MM, Callis also reports. That’s well above the #102 pick’s $571,400 slot value. As Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs had previously suggested, that reflects Workman’s ample leverage as a young for the class college junior. The toolsy, switch-hitting infielder played his college ball at Arizona State.

Comment

Well, I guess Tork/Cabrera won’t be getting much overslot at this point.

Comment

Sounds like MLB is coming back in July.
                    Haven't seen anything about the minors though. If the Tigers are out of playoff competition, would love to see the Erie youngsters get some time in the majors.

60 game schedule could make it interesting because the Tigers weren’t terrible during the beginning of 2019. If the Tigers get off to a similar start for 40 games... nice.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

60 game schedule could make it interesting because the Tigers weren’t terrible during the beginning of 2019. If the Tigers get off to a similar start for 40 games... nice.
                      That's an interesting idea.

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• More likely, they'd resemble the team of their FINAL 40 games.

Comment

• The Tigers have signed supplemental second-round pick Daniel Cabrera for $1.2MM, above his slot value of $1,102,700, Jim Callis of MLB.com tweets. The former Louisiana State outfielder was the 62nd overall choice. His deal leaves slugger Spencer Torkelson, the first overall selection, as the only Detroit pick who hasn’t signed yet. The Tigers can pay Torkelson $7,775,700 without exceeding their $13,325,700 bonus pool and $8,441,985 without losing future picks, Callis notes. The slot value of the No. 1 pick is $8,415,300.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Well Cabrera and Tork are both Boras clients, so you've gotta figure the Tigers were covered there.

Comment

• Which Tiger player tested positive for Covid?

Comment

• Avila didn't say and there are no rumors out there on who specifically has COVID.

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                                More likely, they'd resemble the team of their FINAL 40 games.
                                If that happens, great. Tigers get another top 3 draft pick (unless MLB changes the 2021 Draft to some lottery thing).

I honestly think the Tigers have enough below averageness to go like 25-35 in a 60 games shortened season. However, if the season was 162 games this year, the Tigers wouldn't have the depth to keep up. Particularly if they have injuries to player positions.
                                The additions of Cron, Shoop, Romine, and Maybin to the lineup. Getting Jones back.
                                Starting pitching ok with guys like Boyd, Turnbull, Nova, and Norris. Fulmer a wildcard. Alexander too if Zimmerman or someone else fails.
                                Bullpen has a couple ok guys, but overall looks poor.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X