Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
    Ha ha that Verlander deal is haunting us and will haunt us for 10 more years
    Avila was on a radio show the other day (I saw this on my Google News feed) and said he has regrets on two trades he made. The first one was on Paredes for Meadows. Avila seemed surprised (as has everyone else) with Meadows anxiety issues. But the regret was not seeing Paredes showing he could be a decent player while with the Tigers. TBF, Paredes didn't show much power with the Tigers and it is hard to play a player hitting for a low average (even if he walks a bunch) with little to now power.

He cited some good trades......Daniel Norris for Reese Olson, Nick C. for Lange and Shane Greene for Joey Wentz (I guess though it is more a reflection on Greene than anything Wentz has done).

The other regret is the JV trade not because of the trade itself, but rather Franklin Perez (injuries), Daz Cameron (too little contact) and Jake Rogers (looks like Tigers majority time C) didn't pan out like Detroit hoped they would.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• As for the Tigers offense......There are 3 True outcomes in baseball (ie that don't depend on the defense) a BB, K and HR

In the Tigers lineup most days you will find

Jake Rogers 54.2% TTO 231 ISO <slugging - batting average>

Nick Maton 44.2% 24 ISO

Spencer Torkelson 42.4% 129 ISO

Riley Greene 42% 147 ISO

Kerry Carpenter 40.5% 233 ISO

Carpenter and Rogers are fine with their TTO, because when they are making contact the ball is going far and that is what you want. Greene is a bit higher than ideal but between his CF defense (what a nice surprise that has been) and speed it is okay. Torkelson is low than you like but looking underneath the hood there are positive signs his Hard hit percentage is up 8.3% over last year (currently at 50.3%) and line drive percentage has spiked up 5.9% (to 30.8%) while his ground ball percentage is down 8.2% (to 32.5%). Maton though just is not anywhere near the power needed to justify that TTO.

He has a bit of a leash, because Schoop is worse offensively and Malloy is not ready defensively. He would do well to figure it out soon. Matt Vierling started a rehab assignment in Toledo yesterday (Manning will start tomorrow for the Mud hens). Vierling coming back to RF will push McKinstry to 2b (most days) and will Maton competing for PAs with Zack Short (who is a good defensive 2b and that could push McKinstry to 3b some nights).

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Now up to 8 L's in a row after an embarrassing depantsing at home in a pathetic shutout "performance."

Comment

• Gonna be fun to watch the Tigers get swept in a third consecutive series.

Too bad we have a homeless guy owning the team or something, because he just simply can't afford to field a better team than this mockery of a roster. We really should feel bad for him. How could such a pauper wind up owning a pro team?

Oh wait... it's because Chris Ilitch is a lying sack of shit, the team makes plenty of money and could have roughly double the payroll, but he likes the extra cash in his pocket. That's right. I forgot.
          Last edited by chemiclord; June 10, 2023, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Illich is proving worse than Charley O Finley. At least that guy could find talent better than just about any living being. Illich seems to be about at useful as a Succession kid. Please sell..

Comment

• Why would he sell when the team is making bank?

Comment

• I hope your wrong. Summers are better with a good baseball team.
                I was going to go to a game a couple weeks ago but ended up not going.
                Now I really don’t want to go because it’s not worth it emotionally. And it’s boring

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                  As for the Tigers offense......There are 3 True outcomes in baseball (ie that don't depend on the defense) a BB, K and HR

In the Tigers lineup most days you will find

Jake Rogers 54.2% TTO 231 ISO <slugging - batting average>

Nick Maton 44.2% 24 ISO

Spencer Torkelson 42.4% 129 ISO

Riley Greene 42% 147 ISO

Kerry Carpenter 40.5% 233 ISO

Carpenter and Rogers are fine with their TTO, because when they are making contact the ball is going far and that is what you want. Greene is a bit higher than ideal but between his CF defense (what a nice surprise that has been) and speed it is okay. Torkelson is low than you like but looking underneath the hood there are positive signs his Hard hit percentage is up 8.3% over last year (currently at 50.3%) and line drive percentage has spiked up 5.9% (to 30.8%) while his ground ball percentage is down 8.2% (to 32.5%). Maton though just is not anywhere near the power needed to justify that TTO.

He has a bit of a leash, because Schoop is worse offensively and Malloy is not ready defensively. He would do well to figure it out soon. Matt Vierling started a rehab assignment in Toledo yesterday (Manning will start tomorrow for the Mud hens). Vierling coming back to RF will push McKinstry to 2b (most days) and will Maton competing for PAs with Zack Short (who is a good defensive 2b and that could push McKinstry to 3b some nights).
                  They are last in the league in offense this year and last year.

Comment

• Foley chokes on his own spit in the 9th, gives up 4 runs, and the Tigers get their 9th straight L. With the Braves coming into town, we might start to hear whispers of the 1961 Phillies.

This team could absolutely lose 24 straight. They're that bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                      Foley chokes on his own spit in the 9th, gives up 4 runs, and the Tigers get their 9th straight L. With the Braves coming into town, we might start to hear whispers of the 1961 Phillies.

This team could absolutely lose 24 straight. They're that bad.
                      When does Summer training camp for the Detroit Lions start up next month??

When I was growing up in the '70s to early '80s, if someone told me that I'd rather be looking towards the Detroit Lions instead of the Tigers, I would have said that they were nuts.

But, here we are, and the Detroit Lions are way more interesting than the Detroit Tigers.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                        Why would he sell when the team is making bank?
                        and the value only increases, regardless of whether the team is good or not.

Comment

• Do you believe in miracles? The Tigers end their slide at 9 games! Everyone rush to Comerica!

Comment

• Honestly, I can't decide if it's more sad that the Tigers dropped nine straight, or that despite that losing streak, they're only five games out of the division lead.

Comment

• In the 90s the Lions had a lot of success and I felt the franchise had learned from the incompetence of the 80s. We were then treated to an era far worse than anything the 80s offered.

Once Mike Ilitch started getting involved after 2003, they started building something special even if it failed to win the ultimate goal. At the time and I stated it in here that they had learned their lesson and would.never go back to the incompetence of the 90s. I couldn't have been dumber on that.

Comment

• Oh, I had figured the instant Chris got his hands on the franchise again that we'd return to the Radar-like days. The team running the cheapest possible level and losing 100+ games wasn't an unfortunate circumstance, it was by design.

Comment

Working...
                                X