No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A prospect like Verlander wouldn't have signed or been drafted by the Ilitch Kids, as it was the Tigers almost blew the signing and might have lost him.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      They were as cheap as could be during the Ilitch Kids reign, you sound like another fella that didn't watch the team during the Ilitch Kids era. They were incredibly cheap, it affected them all the time from drafting signability guys in the draft who never sniffed the big leagues, to never signing any impactful free agents. The era was fucking awful, bit keep on with the revisionist history.
      I'm aware they were low-balling draft picks. With that I don't dispute.
      What I do dispute is that they can't be relevant without at least a 150m+ payroll.
      I contend they need to become relevant LONG BEFORE they reach that mark - otherwise they are just pissing money in the wind.

I think they saw enough this year to FINALLY start SENSIBLY spending some money.
      The last 3 years all they would have been doing is pissing into the wind.

This isn't about trying to save a window of opportunity here, it's about trying to build a nucleus that you can build on to create a window of opportunity.
      Money can't by that window - you need a mesh of young talent on the cheap and experienced veterans.

Comment

• They make over 250 million a year, they can afford it right now. They overachieved with that lineup last year. The problem with your approach and the Ilitch Kids approach is they never became relevant and it was never going to happen. The fact that Mike Ilitch stepped back in and starting spending post 2003 started making them relevant again.

It's like nobody watched the Tigers back then or they have an extreme case of amnesia. Those 9 years were fucking brutal.

Comment

• Their Operating Revenue is nowhere near 50 million let alone 250 million.
          I won't pretend I know the relationship between father and son - business or otherwise.
          I will say though that spending your own money is far, far, far easier than spending someone elses.

People tend see value in things others would lose their mind over.
          Ex. I have no quarrels spending $25.00 for a single pair of socks (Darn Tough - wool socks).
          That very thing would have others lose their friggen mind - knowing they can get a cheap 6 pack of cotton socks for less than 1/2 the price.
          I'm on my feet most of the day - a perfectly fitting pair of socks is worth gold (as well as a perfect fitting pair of boots).

Comment

• Thanks for sharing yours socks story Fraq. That was a dandy
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• It sounds like the Tigers are going to sign Javier Baez to a 7 year deal. Looks like the Tigers are spending after all
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• He doesn't get on base
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Wait, hold up!

This owner will never spend $$$! Haven’t you heard?

Comment

• I’m fine with Baez. Great defensive SS and his metrics prove he hits the ball hard….when he hits it. He’s a total risk becausw if his bat speed slows, he could crash. He’s a free swinger.

What he does well is defense, running the bases, and he gets hot for long stretches. He’s flashy, too. He plays with a lot of flash.

He’s getting paid $200 less than Correra most likely. So it was a bit of a bargain. I didn’t want that $300+ deal to a guy with back issues.

Baez will go stretches where he hits nothing, but he’s a true 5 tool stud when it’s clicking. Dynamic player.

Comment

• I don't mind the signing, unless it really was because Ilitch blanched at Correra's price tag. If he's even going to spend as cheaply as he thinks he can get away with... ugh.

Comment

• Ugh.
                        162 game average:
                        Walks = 29
                        K's = 179

Can they please get somebody that can get on base once in a while? Hard to score from the dugout.

Comment

• If you get the Baez that was with the Mets. It is a total bargain, but I have serious serious doubts that is going to happen. Baez is gifted defensively. And a very good baserunner. That being said I am not a fan of him in the Tigers lineup.

I don't see him as a tentpole in that lineup and that is something that the Tigers desperately need.
                          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• His time with the Mets was just his stats returning to the mean. Don't expect that to be some kind of renaissance.
                            Man, I've not paid much attention to MLB the last 20 years. It is amazing to see how anemic OBP is in todays game.
                            The top team in OBP today is barely ahead of the worst team 20 years ago.
                            No wonder they scored like 800 fewer runs in the AL this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                              I don't mind the signing, unless it really was because Ilitch blanched at Correra's price tag. If he's even going to spend as cheaply as he thinks he can get away with... ugh.
                              I saw this the other day. If there’s any truth to it, have to say you’re right about Chris Ilitch. Sucks…. That’s all. I needed to see proof. Maybe this is it.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I think we really lucked out there. I think it's a blessing he didn't take that offer. Reminds me of when Juan Gonzalez turned down big $$$.

I don't trust Correa's health over 10 years at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X