X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Herbert: Quentin Johnston is going to be something special

Posted by Myles Simmons on June 15, 2023, 11:18 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Chargers already had a strong receiving corps led by Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. But they added to it in a big way by drafting Quentin Johnston out of TCU in the first round of this year’s draft.

So far, Johnston has left a clear positive impression on his new quarterback.

“He’s a playmaker. He’s going to make a lot of plays for us,” Justin Herbert said in his Wednesday press conference. “He showed up and we knew early that we’ve got a special guy out there. He’s done a great job picking up the offense so far.

“He’s young, but he’s going to be something special. So, it’s been fun to watch him so far.”

Johnston was one of the key factors in powering TCU to the CFP National Championship Game, catching 60 passes for 1,069 yards with six touchdowns in his final collegiate season. Two of his best performances came toward the end of the year, when he caught four passes for 139 yards in the Big 12 championship game and then had six receptions for 163 yards with a TD in the CFP semifinal against Michigan.

If Herbert, Allen, Williams, and Johnston all stay healthy, the Chargers should have a consistently explosive offense in 2023.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• That’s sucks about Deon. I hope that doesn’t happen to him.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
        That’s sucks about Deon. I hope that doesn’t happen to him.
        Agree.

I wonder what caused his condition?
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• He put his foot in his mouth too many times.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Makes me wonder if they tried stints?
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• How do you really feel Mark....

Mark Davis won’t be rolling out the welcome wagon for the A’s

Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2023, 11:21 AM EDT

Getty Images

With the A’s moving closer and closer to moving to Las Vegas, one guy who won’t be happy about that is Raiders owner Mark Davis.

Back in April, Davis sounded off on the baseball team’s effort to leave Oakland. Davis isn’t frustrated by having to share a relatively small market with a baseball team; he’s upset because the A’s tried to commandeer Oakland — to the detriment of the Raiders — before leaving.

I won’t forget what they did to us in Oakland,” Davis told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in April. “They squatted on a lease for 10 years and made it impossible for us to build on that stadium. . . They were looking for a stadium. We were looking for a stadium. They didn’t want to build a stadium, and then went ahead and signed a 10-year lease with the city of Oakland and said, ‘We’re the base team.’ . . .

“They marketed the team as ‘Rooted in Oakland,’ that’s been their mantra through the whole thing. The slogans they’ve been using have been a slap to the face of the Raiders, and they were trying to win over that type of mentality in the Bay Area. Well all they did was fuck the Bay Area.

For them to leave Oakland without anything is pretty [screwed] up. Because that site that the stadium was on was a good site. . . . We ended up in Las Vegas, which is absolutely fantastic and couldn’t be better. But the A’s never gave us a real good chance to stay up in Oakland.”

There’s a dispute as to whether Oakland tried to keep the A’s. Oakland insists that viable offers were made. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred claimed otherwise on Thursday, sparking widespread criticism — both for the inaccuracy of his comment and his willingness to suggest that communities have an obligation to pay for all or part of a local sports team’s stadium.

Regardless, Davis doesn’t want the A’s around. He wasn’t bashful about saying so in April. He likely won’t be bashful about saying so in the future.

Comment

• Report: Bears are unhappy with Chase Claypool

Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2023, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Bears gave up, as a practical matter, a first-round pick to get receiver Chase Claypool. They reportedly aren’t getting what they bargained for.

Via NBCSportsChicago.com, Marc Silverman of ESPN 1000’s Waddle & Silvy recently explained that the Bears are not happy with Claypool.

“All I can tell you is it isn’t trending in a way that the Bears have wanted it to trend in this offseason,” Silverman said.

“I have heard from a few people inside that building that he is not somebody who is very self-motivated,” Silverman added. “There’s a long way to go. Chase Claypool can change the narrative.”

The narrative began in a very positive way in 2020, when Claypool made a splash with 11 touchdowns. But then came the first hint of trouble, when an item on the Steelers’ official website described Claypool has having a “diva quotient.”

It was a strong hint regarding the things coach Mike Tomlin might have been dealing with behind the scenes. And perhaps, when the Steelers made him available at the 2022 trade deadline, the Chicago Bears should have exercised a little caveat emptor.

In the end, the Steelers picked the Bears over the Packers as the next destination for Claypool, given that Pittsburgh believed the Bears would have a higher spot in round two of the 2023 draft. Pittsburgh guessed right; coupled with the Dolphins losing their pick, the Chicago’s first overall pick in round two became the 32nd pick in the entire draft.

And now the Bears have a player who is reportedly giving them concern. It’s in his best interests to turn it around, given that he’s entering his contract year. While he might want to be paid now, he’s not going to get anything until he produces and quiets any chatter about his attitude.

The key is always production. Teams will tolerate plenty from a great player. Claypool hasn’t played great enough since his rookie year to get the benefit of the doubt, at this point.

Last year with the Bears, he had 10 catches for 140 yards — in 10 games. He’ll need to do a lot more than that to get the Bears, or anyone else, to pay him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                  How do you really feel Mark....

Mark Davis won’t be rolling out the welcome wagon for the A’s

Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2023, 11:21 AM EDT

Getty Images

With the A’s moving closer and closer to moving to Las Vegas, one guy who won’t be happy about that is Raiders owner Mark Davis.

Back in April, Davis sounded off on the baseball team’s effort to leave Oakland. Davis isn’t frustrated by having to share a relatively small market with a baseball team; he’s upset because the A’s tried to commandeer Oakland — to the detriment of the Raiders — before leaving.

I won’t forget what they did to us in Oakland,” Davis told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in April. “They squatted on a lease for 10 years and made it impossible for us to build on that stadium. . . They were looking for a stadium. We were looking for a stadium. They didn’t want to build a stadium, and then went ahead and signed a 10-year lease with the city of Oakland and said, ‘We’re the base team.’ . . .

“They marketed the team as ‘Rooted in Oakland,’ that’s been their mantra through the whole thing. The slogans they’ve been using have been a slap to the face of the Raiders, and they were trying to win over that type of mentality in the Bay Area. Well all they did was fuck the Bay Area.

For them to leave Oakland without anything is pretty [screwed] up. Because that site that the stadium was on was a good site. . . . We ended up in Las Vegas, which is absolutely fantastic and couldn’t be better. But the A’s never gave us a real good chance to stay up in Oakland.”

There’s a dispute as to whether Oakland tried to keep the A’s. Oakland insists that viable offers were made. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred claimed otherwise on Thursday, sparking widespread criticism — both for the inaccuracy of his comment and his willingness to suggest that communities have an obligation to pay for all or part of a local sports team’s stadium.

Regardless, Davis doesn’t want the A’s around. He wasn’t bashful about saying so in April. He likely won’t be bashful about saying so in the future.
                  Oh man! Davis is calling it like is. I think it’s awesome
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• That was Gawd awful trade by the Boars. Turned into Joey Porter Jr, BTW

Comment

That was Gawd awful trade by the Boars. Turned into Joey Porter Jr, BTW
                      I can’t believe he fell to them in the 2nd. That was a bad ass pick
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

That trade was something dumb that Matt Millen would've done.

Nah. Millen would've drafted him instead.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• I’m glad MCDC and BH aren’t bringing in players like that. I’m so happy the Bears screwed that one up.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Lions don’t want any turds. The team is in good hands for the first time in my 60 + years of life.

Comment

It's hard to say if Claypool just isnt very good or if his QB just cant throw.....Basically all we have seen Fields do is run

Comment

• I took it that Claypool is lazy but Fields isn’t a QB.l for sure
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X