No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The racing is one thing... but showing up to the workout and getting gassed during drills makes it look like he's just cashing out his college career and doesn't think it's worth it to earn that 2nd contract.
    "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
    Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
      The racing is one thing... but showing up to the workout and getting gassed during drills makes it look like he's just cashing out his college career and doesn't think it's worth it to earn that 2nd contract.
      For Dan Campbell I would think taht is the bigger red flag too.....The hard work and loves football mentality that he and Brad Holmes say is number one will be put to the test at pick 6 most likely.....He also says he loves film and doesnt put much weight into what players do in their underwear, so that weighs in Carters favor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
        The racing is one thing... but showing up to the workout and getting gassed during drills makes it look like he's just cashing out his college career and doesn't think it's worth it to earn that 2nd contract.
        This is exactly what I’m saying. At 18 they might make the gamble on Carter but not 6. Too many red flags
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• If he’s on their board, he’s on their board and they won’t wait to take him. They certainly could have guys like Anderson or even 1 or 2 others ranked ahead of him just purely based on their evaluation, but if he’s off their board due to character concerns at 6, he’s not going to be back on it at 18.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
            If he’s on their board, he’s on their board and they won’t wait to take him. They certainly could have guys like Anderson or even 1 or 2 others ranked ahead of him just purely based on their evaluation, but if he’s off their board due to character concerns at 6, he’s not going to be back on it at 18.
            Yeah, I mean there is a chance that Lions might value a player lower than everyone else and Carter would be rated at 18 or lower. But we know his talent is closer to #1 than 18. If he is there at 6 and they don't take him it's because he is off their board.

That said, you get into the second or third and he is still tumbling. You might think he is worth the pick to take a flyer on him and more willing to move on if he doesn't perform. But Carter has to much good tape a team will think they can keep him focused and he will go pretty early.

Comment

• I meant more that their board (non-QB version) at 6 may not jive with what we think. What if it's:

1. Anderson
              2. Robinson (or Wilson, or Skoronski, or Witherspoon)
              3. Carter

In that case they may pass on Carter just due to their board and not because of the off field stuff. But if he's off their board at 6 due to character, he's not suddenly going to be back on it at #18.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post

Yeah, I mean there is a chance that Lions might value a player lower than everyone else and Carter would be rated at 18 or lower. But we know his talent is closer to #1 than 18. If he is there at 6 and they don't take him it's because he is off their board.

That said, you get into the second or third and he is still tumbling. You might think he is worth the pick to take a flyer on him and more willing to move on if he doesn't perform. But Carter has to much good tape a team will think they can keep him focused and he will go pretty early.
                Some of the tape I saw on Carter reminded me of Suh...He would just throw offensive linemen out of the way.....That is hard to find players that can do that....I think that is why some people are willing to overlook the off the field stuff because on the field he has talent that is hard to find at that position, and it is probably the biggest position of need for the Lions.

Comment

• A lot of rumors out there that Carter's agent, Drew Rosenhaus (sp?) has received guarantees from CHI (#9) and PHI (#10) that they would snatch him up if there. Makes sense, since he has said he would not visit any team outside the top 10. Drew has done this for decades.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• It's funny to me. Jordan Davis was actually gassed during games and they had to spell him a lot at Georgia. People didn't make an issue about it. You see none of that (being gassed) with Carter's game film. He is going to make someone eat their words. Not to say he may not be what people (good or bad) think he is, but, when coaches talk about film don't lie, then talk about the dislike for the t-shirt stuff, etc... Something has to give. (not speaking directly about Detroit)
                    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Report: Kareem Hunt won’t return to Cleveland, Browns think he has lost speed

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 9, 2023, 12:10 PM EDT

Getty Images

Last summer, Browns running back Kareem Hunt thought he deserved more money. Now that he’s a free agent, he’s finding that NFL teams don’t think he deserves much.

Hunt will not be back in Cleveland, where the Browns think his speed is slipping, according to Terry Pluto, cleveland.com.

Last year Hunt averaged a career-low 3.8 yards per carry and a career-low 6.0 yards per catch, so the numbers would seem to confirm the sense that Hunt doesn’t have the big-play speed he had earlier in his career.

Hunt is 27, which might not seem old, but running backs don’t age well. Hunt’s best days may be behind him.

It’s been a rough year to be a free agent running back, as NFL teams are increasingly concluding that they can get just as much production from young running backs on cheap contracts as they can from veteran free agents. Hunt joins Jerick McKinnon, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, J.D. McKissic, Mark Ingram and other well-known veteran running backs who aren’t generating much interest.

Comment

• Deshaun Watson to be questioned under oath Monday in pending massage-related lawsuit

Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2023, 7:23 AM EDT

Getty Images

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson has settled most of the civil lawsuits filed against him for alleged sexual misconduct during massage-therapy sessions. Two remain.

In one of them, Watson will be questioned under oath on Monday, according to Tom Withers of the Associated Press.

Based on the phrasing and linking in the AP article, it appears the deposition will happen in the latest lawsuit filed against Watson. That case was filed in October 2022, by a lawyer other than Tony Buzbee.

Watson’s lawyer, Rusty Hardin, made an aggressive effort to secure dismissal of the case, calling it a “sham lawsuit” and possibly a “case of unrequited love.” If that’s the case in which Watson will be deposed on Monday, it clearly hasn’t been dismissed.

Which is no surprise. The legal system applies a very high bar to the early dismissal of a civil action. As long as the allegations made in the complaint initiating the lawsuit state a potential legal claim, if the factual allegations in it are regarded as true and accurate, the case proceeds.

Although the lawyer in the latest case said in October that there are more victims “who have yet to come forward,” no additional lawsuits have been filed. Assuming the filing of the first lawsuit on March 17, 2021 prompted Watson to terminate his habit of seeking massages from strangers on social media, the statute of limitations on additional lawsuits has expired.

While that technically doesn’t stop other cases from being filed, it gives Watson a strong defense, and a far easier path to dismissal other than calling the lawsuit a “sham” or blaming it on “unrequited love.”

Watson served an 11-game suspension to start the 2022 season, due to the allegedly serial acts of sexual misconduct during massages. The NFL has not closed the door on potential additional discipline for the lawsuit filed in October.

If the league eventually tries to do so, Watson and the NFL Players Association would fight the claims aggressively, arguing that the agreement that resulted in Watson’s suspension covers anything that happened before that agreement was reached.

Comment

• Jets G.M. Joe Douglas on Aaron Rodgers: “He’s gonna be here”

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2023, 7:11 AM EDT

Getty Images

At the moment, Aaron Rodgers remains a Packer. Before the season starts, Rodgers will be a Jet.

That’s the promise made by Jets General Manager Joe Douglas, who attended an event on Friday night hosted by WFAN and stated categorically that the Jets will trade for Rodgers.

Asked by Boomer Esiason about Rodgers, Douglas answered, “He’s gonna be here.”

Jets fans in the crowd met that response with a loud roar.

Still, no trade is done until it’s done. The Jets and Packers have to agree on a trade, and so far they haven’t done it. When they do, Rodgers will be there.

Comment

• Report: Jeffery Simmons deal is for four years, $94 million

Posted by Josh Alper on April 7, 2023, 3:58 PM EDT

Getty Images

Word that Titans defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons agreed to a contract extension with the team on Friday has been followed by reports about the terms of the deal.

Turron Davenport of ESPN.com reports that there it is a four-year, $94 million deal for Simmons. Simmons had been set to make a base salary of $10.753 million under the terms of the fifth-year option on his rookie contract.

Closer looks at Simmons’ new pact will show further details, but Davenport reports there is $66 million in guaranteed money and a $24 million signing bonus. The annual average of the deal puts Simmons behind only Aaron Donald among defensive tackles.

That will be of interest to a number of other teams and players as they move toward deals of their own. Simmons’ fellow 2019 first-round picks Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Christian Wilkins, and Dexter Lawrence are all looking for new deals this offseason and Simmons’ agreement — along with Daron Payne‘s new deal in Washington — will likely have ripple effects through their own negotiations in the coming weeks and months.

Comment

• Russell Okung has lost a bit of weight since retiring.

Comment

• Holy shit. Thats absolutely insane. Joe Thomas was the first OL to retire and get jacked. Thats a helluva body transformation .
                                Last edited by jaadam4; April 11, 2023, 04:44 AM.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X