X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad Khan: The vibe I get is that we’ve cracked the code

Posted by Myles Simmons on March 31, 2023, 11:18 AM EDT

Getty Images

After winning the AFC South in 2022, the Jaguars appear poised for some sustained success.

They have a Super Bowl-winning head coach in Doug Pederson. They have a General Manager in Trent Baalke who has put together what appears to be a roster budding with talent. And they have a solid young quarterback in Trevor Lawrence who showed significant improvement in his second season.

With all three in tow, team owner Shad Khan said in an interview with the team’s website that he’s encouraged about the future of his franchise.

“Well, the vibe I get is that, you know, I think we’ve cracked the code,” Khan said via John Shipley of SI.com. “We’ve got a great head coach, we got a great General Manager, and we have a great quarterback. And that’s the trifecta for success in the NFL”

It seems simple, but the Jaguars have been to the postseason just twice since Khan bought the team in 2012. And after the team reached the AFC Championship Game in the 2017 season, Jacksonville finished last in the AFC South for four consecutive years.

But Khan doesn’t see that happening this time around.

“Again, I think what gives me the confidence of sustainability is, you know, head coach, General Manager, and the quarterback,” Khan said. “I think, you know, they’re here for the long haul.

“We’ve lost a couple of players this year, salary cap, hated to see them leave, but that’s really a measure of success that you can’t hang on to all your players, you know? And so then obviously, the skill, the trick is to replace them, hopefully, with better players. So, we’ve got the draft, primarily to develop players for the future and a system that is sustainable.”

The Jaguars finished 9-8 last season, but winning six of their last seven regular-season games before completing a stunning playoff comeback against the Chargers has raised the bar for 2023.

“I think it’s taken a while but I’m glad it’s happening,” Khan said. “I’m glad for me. I’m glad for all the fans.”
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Jeffrey Lurie: Offenses dominate the NFL, so we want Jalen Hurts for a long time

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 31, 2023, 11:02 AM EDT

Getty Images

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie isn’t making any secret of the fact that he sees signing quarterback Jalen Hurts to a lucrative contract as a wise investment.

Lurie said at the league meeting that he views having a great offense as the key to winning Super Bowls, a great quarterback as the key to a great offense, and Hurts as the kind of quarterback he wants leading his franchise.

Offenses dominate in this league,” Lurie said, via the Delaware County Daily Times. “We had an outstanding defense this year, No. 2 in defense, No. 2 or 3 in pass defense, a record number of sacks. An outstanding defense. Outstanding. I mean, it was why we dominated the season. But when you come to games with great quarterbacks, offenses dominate in this league.”

Lurie believes that Hurts can be a dominant quarterback for many years to come.

“The thing with Jalen that I’m very optimistic about is that he has an incredible passion for being phenomenal,” Lurie said. “And you see that in the great ones. We all know that in other sports, and with quarterbacks in this league, you can define them by their obsession with detail and work ethic. We always knew Jalen was talented and had a very live arm. And his character has always been considered great. The future is so great for him. He’s 24 years old and honestly I don’t know if I’ve ever met somebody that mature at age 24. So it’s different. Each franchise quarterback is different. But once you’ve found one, that’s when you’re really excited. And we’ll be working with Jalen, I’m sure, for a long time.”

Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman has identified a new contract for Hurts as a top priority for the Eagles, and it sounds like whatever number Roseman and Hurts’ agent land on is a price Lurie is willing to pay.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Funny how these guys throw Belichic under the bus.....How many super bowls has he won again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
          Jim Trotter accuses NFL Media of covering up owner behavior

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2023, 12:03 PM EDT

Getty Images

It’s officially Jim Trotter’s last day with NFL Media. And he’s going out with a flourish.

Here’s what Trotter tweeted on Friday morning: “I’ve thought a lot about Brian Flores’ lawsuit against @nfl
          for alleged discriminatory hiring practices. His case is the micro. The macro is the culture within the NFL, including owner behavior that was covered up by the league-owned newsroom. Stay tuned. More to come.”

This message strengthens the likelihood of a lawsuit by Trotter. As previously noted, he doesn’t have an arbitration clause in his contract — which means any litigation will play out in open court. (That said, the NFL might try to shoehorn any such claim into an arbitration obligation, as it’s doing in the Jon Gruden case.)

Trotter’s vow to expose the dynamics of the NFL-owned newsroom takes everything to another level, and it could go a long way toward exposing a problem that has been hiding in plain sight from the moment the league decided to hire reporters to report on the league.

Many shrug at the inherent conflict of interest. Many don’t expect league-owned media to engage in real journalism. Still, people working both for the NFL and NFL Media don’t like it when the obvious bias flowing from the fact that the Commissioner signs the paychecks is mentioned.

From time to time, former NFL Media employees have mentioned the tensions that arise from covering the league while working for the league. Albert Breer has done it. Mike Silver has, too.

But neither of them ever claimed that they were pushed out for refusing to play along. Trotter will, if he files suit, be the first.

Barring a settlement (and it’s not likely that the league will be able to buy his silence), Trotter could shine a light on just enough to compel major changes to be made by a league that quite possibly expects its reporters who report on the league to exercise discretion in reporting, if they hope to keep their jobs.
          You know that Mr. Trotter is going to sue, and it will be glorious.

The last thing that the NFL wants is for their dirty laundry to be aired, and since Mr. Trotter doesn't have an arbitration clause, he could really embarrass the NFL when he does file a lawsuit.
          "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Anyone else following Brett Favre's lawsuit? I still can't believe he's suing and bringing this thing to even more light than what it already was. He's a moron.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
              Shad Khan: The vibe I get is that we’ve cracked the code

Posted by Myles Simmons on March 31, 2023, 11:18 AM EDT

Dude looks like a washed up Bond villain.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Dude looks like a washed up Bond villain.
                Wasn't Khan a Star Trek villain?

Comment

• Animated GIF
                  Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• I’m surprised the Jets aren’t making a play for L JAX. Why would
                    they want to trade assets for a 40 year old QB
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Wow owners are human beings
                      who would have guessed

Comment

• How the Chiefs’ youth movement on defense can help QB Patrick Mahomes

By Nate Taylor
                        Apr 1, 2023

PHOENIX — One fact that illustrates how stellar quarterback Patrick Mahomes has been in his five seasons as the Chiefs’ leading man is this: He and the rest of the potent offense have never been supported by a top-10 defense.

And yet, the Chiefs have hosted the past five AFC championship games and have captured two Vince Lombardi trophies in four years, becoming the NFL’s newest dynasty.

This offseason, as the franchise begins its pursuit of another championship, coach Andy Reid, a future Hall of Famer known for his offensive innovations, and general manager Brett Veach, the wunderkind executive who was instrumental in the team’s acquiring Mahomes in the 2017 draft, have started a new, compelling trend on the roster: They are putting together a younger defensive unit.

Last season, the Chiefs defense featured reliable veterans such as defensive end Frank Clark, safety Juan Thornhill and defensive end Carlos Dunlap, a trio that is no longer with the team. With less than three weeks before this year’s draft, the Chiefs don’t have a single defender on their roster who is at least 30 years old. Such a decision by Reid and Veach is an indication that they are fully invested in executing the plan they started around this time last year, when they acquired a collection of quality defenders in the draft — defensive end George Karlaftis, safety Bryan Cook and cornerbacks Trent McDuffie, Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson — in the aftermath of the blockbuster trade that sent star receiver Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins. The result? 24.3 percent of the Chiefs’ defensive snaps were played by rookies, the third highest in the league, according to NFL Next Gen Stats.

“I think Spags (defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo) and his staff do a great job of teaching the young guys the way they want it,” Reid said Monday during the league’s annual owners’ meetings. “We got to see that this (past) year. I thought it was a great job of teaching. I’m OK with (a youth movement), honestly.

“We’ll be better than we were last year because those guys had an opportunity to play.”

The Chiefs defense last season ranked 17th in Football Outsiders’ defensive DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) ratings.

In an attempt to improve the unit’s rating, Reid and Veach have added more defenders than offensive players so far during the league’s free-agent period. Three of the team’s four biggest acquisitions are defensive end Charles Omenihu (age 25), linebacker Drue Tranquill (age 27) and safety Mike Edwards (age 26). All three players are in the prime 0f their careers and joined the team by signing either one-year or two-year deals. The Chiefs believe the trio offers positional versatility and are still ascending to where they could each reach their full potential in their roles to enhance Spagnuolo’s complex scheme.

continued..
                        My friend Ken L

Comment

• “I’m really familiar with the organization, playing them twice a year and I know they’re about winning championships,” Tranquill, who played the previous four seasons with the AFC West-rival Chargers, said earlier this month. “As a competitor, that’s what you grow up hoping for. That’s what you grow up dreaming about. Coach Reid has certainly built and sustained an incredible championship culture. I’m so excited and grateful to be a part of that and to learn from these guys and grow myself.”

Omenihu is expected to replace Clark and is projecting to be a first-time starter. As a member of the San Francisco 49ers last season, Omenihu generated career highs in sacks (4.5), pressures (21), quarterback hits (16) and tackles (20). Known for his quickness, strength and pass-rushing skills, Omenihu, who is listed at 6 feet 5 and 280 pounds, also can rush opposing quarterbacks from the interior on third down, which he excelled in with the 49ers.

“I think I’m a guy that can play the run on first or second down and play over tight ends and rush on the edge,” Omenihu, a four-year veteran, said earlier this month. “I’m going to play hard, and I want to stuff the run. When you play the run well, you’re going to have some fun rushing the quarterback.”

One benefit of having a younger core on defense is that the Chiefs could have eight or nine starters still under contract on their salary-cap sheet for the 2024 season, which could give the team plenty of salary-cap space for next year’s free-agency period. Entering Friday, the Chiefs are projected to have $74.6 million in salary-cap space for 2024, according to Over the Cap.

“I would like to think that we as an organization are among the best at always thinking two or three years down the road,” club owner Clark Hunt said Monday in an exclusive interview with The Athletic. “Having Patrick under contract for the long term really gives us the opportunity to do that. We’re really in a mode of thinking about, ‘How can we compete, not only this year and next year, but also three and four years from now?’

“Part of that is you’ve got to make sure you’re managing the cap appropriately. I thought Brett did a magnificent job last year with some very significant changes to the roster. Sure enough, we were able to win the Super Bowl with the players he brought in.”

Earlier this month, the Chiefs used Mahomes’ 10-year contract — the longest in the league — to benefit their defense. The team created $9.6 million in cap space when it converted $12 million of the $34.4 million roster bonus in Mahomes’ contract into a signing bonus. A sizable amount of the $9.6 million allowed the Chiefs to acquire Tranquill and Edwards and re-sign defensive tackle Derrick Nnadi.

Perhaps the transaction that pleased Reid the most was Veach’s persuading Tranquill to sign a one-year deal worth $3 million that could increase to a maximum of $5 million through incentives. Last season, Tranquill became a valuable first-time starter for the Chargers, producing career highs in tackles (146), tackles for loss (10), sacks (five), quarterback hits (eight) and pass breakups (four) along with a forced fumble and an interception. He also earned the responsibility to be the green dot defender, who shares the initial play call and any pre-snap adjustments with his teammates.

Tranquill projects to be the third starting linebacker, playing alongside the talented duo of Nick Bolton and Willie Gay. Spagnuolo could get even more creative with his pre-snap disguises, using Tranquill as another effective blitzer. Before Super Bowl LVII, the Chiefs ranked 28th when defending passes between 10 and 19 air yards, allowing a league-high 14 touchdown passes in that yardage range, according to Next Gen Stats. Tranquill should help defend that area of the field, as he is capable of covering running backs and tight ends. He earned the seventh-highest coverage grade (75.4) among all linebackers with 900 or more snaps last season, according to Pro Football Focus.

“I’ve competed against him now for a little bit and I love the way he plays the game,” Reid said of Tranquill, who is listed at 6 feet 2 and 234 pounds. “He’s smart, he’s aggressive and he’s a good cover guy. He’s big. You can see it on tape. You see him direct traffic and he makes plays.”

An element of Spagnuolo’s scheme involves success with dime personnel, a package he used on 251 snaps, the third most in the league, according to TruMedia. The Chiefs replaced Thornhill with Edwards, who could be the third rotational safety with Cook and Justin Reid as the starters.

continued..
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Edwards, who spent the past four seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, has recorded seven interceptions in his career. A first-time starter last year, Edwards recorded 82 tackles, two interceptions and a sack. He prioritized joining a contender as a first-time unrestricted free agent and was intrigued by the opportunity to play several positions in Spagnuolo’s secondary.

“We’ve got a great coach in Andy Reid, and Patrick Mahomes is already one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, so playing with him is going to be really nice,” Edwards said earlier this month. “I can play deep safety, in the box a little bit, I can play nickel, blitzing all over and creating turnovers. That’s what I’m really going to harp on, creating turnovers and getting the ball back to the offense. I know it’s going to be a great experience.”

Of course, the Chiefs defense will acquire even more young players in a few weeks during the draft. Kansas City has 10 selections and can focus on building its defensive depth since a large group of the unit’s projected starters is still playing on rookie contracts. The Chiefs could use one of their top picks to select a defensive end, a fourth pass-rush-capable player at the position. That prospect would develop alongside Omenihu and Karlaftis with Mike Danna, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal.

The Chiefs’ oldest defender on the roster is also the unit’s longest-tenured member: star defensive tackle Chris Jones.

At age 28 and entering his eighth season, Jones is the Chiefs’ best defensive player, too. Last season, Jones matched career highs with 15.5 sacks and 29 quarterback hits. He also played 916 snaps — 80 percent of the unit’s total snaps — the most among the Chiefs’ defensive linemen. Jones became the Chiefs’ closer, too, as 71 percent of his sacks in the regular season ended the opponent’s drive. He also led the league with 34 pressures in the fourth quarter. Jones’ impact continued during the Chiefs’ playoff run, as he produced two sacks, three tackles behind the line of scrimmage and six quarterback hits, all of which were career highs in a single postseason.

The last major objective to accomplish for the Chiefs defense for Reid and Veach this offseason appears to be signing Jones to a contract extension, a deal that will ensure his services throughout the remaining prime seasons of his career while creating more salary-cap space for the franchise.

Jones, according to a league source, wants an extension that will make him at least the second-highest-paid player at his position. In June, Aaron Donald, the Los Angeles Rams’ star defensive tackle, signed a three-year, $95 million contract restructure.

First of all, compliments to Chris on a tremendous year,” Hunt told The Athletic. “He maybe had his best year with us, and I think really grew into a leader this (past) year, which is great to see him really embrace that opportunity.

“Certainly, when a star player is down to a year (left on their contract), you will at least think about talking to him about an extension. We’re not there yet, but that’s something Brett and I will continue to talk about over the next three or four months.”

Nate Taylor has been a staff writer for The Athletic covering the Kansas City Chiefs since 2018. Before that, he covered the Indiana Pacers at The Indianapolis Star for two years. He has also been a sports features writer for The New York Times and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. A Kansas City native, he graduated from the University of Central Missouri. Follow Nate on Twitter @ByNateTaylor

​​
                            My friend Ken L

Comment

• This is a very long article from the Athletic, so I'm breaking it up into a bunch of parts. I don't know how many, I'm just posting until I have all 32 teams mentioned.

How did each NFL team’s free agency moves stack up? Executives react to moves from all 32 teams

Mike Sando
                              Apr 4, 2023

NFL free agency has been as much about the deals that have not happened — Aaron Rodgers to the New York Jets, for example — as the ones that have taken place. Even with Rodgers and Lamar Jackson in limbo, especially with them in limbo, there’s plenty to discuss.

Below you’ll find team executives’ perspectives on all 32 teams’ free agencies, with thoughts on everything from the new contracts for Daniel Jones and Geno Smith to the ideal timing for a potential Derrick Henry trade. The executives spoke on the condition of anonymity for competitive reasons.

Arizona Cardinals

The Cardinals would not be the first struggling team with new leadership to ride out their first season without significant upgrades. The New York Giants and Chicago Bears were quiet last offseason. The Giants outperformed expectations. The Bears emerged with the first pick in the draft.

As for the Cardinals, their cash commitments include a $36 million bonus payable to quarterback Kyler Murray, whose availability for the season is in question, plus millions more owed to former coach Kliff Kingsbury and former general manager Steve Keim. Look no further than receiver DeAndre Hopkins’ $19.5 million salary when wondering why Arizona might move on from him.

“They have a new coach and a new GM who have never worked together, and their super-expensive quarterback is out,” an exec said. “I don’t want to say this is a throwaway year, but it’s a throwaway year.”

Who is going to play on the defensive line? Not J.J. Watt, who retired, or Zach Allen, who signed with Denver. Arizona released Markus Golden.

“This is a defensive head coach (Jonathan Gannon) who is used to having premium pass-rush in Philadelphia,” another exec said. “Your $250 million quarterback is in the second year of his extension, and he is going to miss half the year. It is going to be tough all around.”

Atlanta Falcons

The team paid $16 million per year for a safety (Jessie Bates III) and $11.6 million for a defensive tackle (David Onyemata) while trading for a tight end (Jonnu Smith). Atlanta also handed record money to a guard when re-signing Chris Lindstrom for five years and $105 million. Positional value, anyone?

“(Head coach) Arthur Smith was a tight ends coach,” an exec said. “Now he has offensive personnel flexibility with Kyle Pitts and Jonnu Smith. You can put Smith in the backfield. You can put Pitts at wide receiver. Throw in Cordarrelle Patterson’s versatility, and I think they are trying to be different, trying to be versatile.”

The decision to move forward with Desmond Ridder and the newly signed Taylor Heinicke at quarterback is notable.

Why not make an all-out effort to land Lamar Jackson? One answer could be in the Falcons’ recent past. For years, the team kept leveraging itself with massive contracts for Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, hamstringing the Falcons’ ability to build their roster, particularly on defense.

“Their defense will be better,” an exec whose team faced Atlanta last season said. “They are adding guys that are bigger and stouter than what they had under (former defensive coordinator) Dean Pees. Calais Campbell is one of those. I think they are headed in a better direction.”

Atlanta ranked 31st in defensive EPA over Ryan’s final 10 seasons with the team.

“I like what Atlanta has done,” the first exec said. “Heinicke to go with Ridder makes sense. I like Onyemata. That is a lot of money for Bates, but you know what you are getting. I like Arthur Smith’s familiarity with Jonnu Smith from their Titans days. The Mack Hollins contract looks good. If your quarterback is Ridder, to be different and versatile might be your best shot.”

continued..​
                              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens’ deteriorating relationship with quarterback Lamar Jackson hangs over free agency. The market has validated the team’s decision to use the non-exclusive franchise tag, but to what end? So far, the only activity seems to have been on social media, where Jackson announced he requested a trade.

“We all agree the player (Jackson) is not able to win in the playoffs (1-3 record), but where is your better answer?” an exec said. “You don’t have one. They should have committed to Lamar two years ago. Instead, they disenfranchised their franchise quarterback? They are the Green Bay of the AFC North, couldn’t have a relationship with the top guy (quarterback).”

The Ravens control Jackson’s rights via franchise tags through 2024.

“The issue with Lamar is, the way he plays, no one has ever really played that way for a long time, and you have to completely change your team to do it,” another exec said. “That is fine on a rookie deal, but you are not doing it at $50 million after two injury-plagued years.”

As for the idea of collusion by league owners against the next fully guaranteed deal?

“If Patrick Mahomes were in Lamar’s shoes, he would have 30 offer sheets, all guaranteed,” this exec said.

Beyond the quarterback stalemate, the Ravens continue to play the comp-pick game. They could get a 2024 fourth-round pick for guard Ben Powers.

“They will sign 2-3 guys after the free agency period ends,” another exec said. “That is how they operate.”

Buffalo Bills

The Jets are adding Aaron Rodgers. The Dolphins are adding Jalen Ramsey. The Patriots hired an offensive coordinator. Are the Bills losing ground to the AFC East after losing more than they gained in free agency?

“That is how I feel, and you have to throw in the abrupt departure of (defensive coordinator) Leslie Frazier for the year,” an exec said. “There are some holes there. I think they are going to be feeling a lot of heat, with the Jets and Dolphins closing the gap.”

The Bills finished last season with a 13-3 record. The ranked second in offensive EPA and fifth in combined EPA on defense and special teams. They are still the team to beat.

“Who is the heat on?” another exec asked. “I don’t think it’s the head coach. He’s done a really good job. I don’t think it’s on the GM. He has done a really good job. It’s not on the quarterback, who is doing all he can. Does the owner have to restructure more deals and give the GM more money to build around the quarterback?”

Buffalo restructured contracts for Josh Allen and Von Miller, then re-signed back-seven defenders Matt Milano and Jordan Poyer. They signed guard Connor McGovern from Dallas and receiver/returner Deonte Harty from New Orleans.

“With Josh Allen there, they will always have a window,” a third exec said. “But their best chance is going to be in the next year or two. And if Aaron Rodgers comes into the division and the Dolphins are better, the degree of difficulty is getting harder.”

Carolina Panthers

Acquiring the first pick in the draft from Chicago for receiver D.J. Moore with the ninth pick, a second-rounder, a 2024 first and 2025 second put the Panthers in position to draft a top quarterback, presumably C.J. Stroud or Bryce Young.

“If you think you have the guy for the next two contracts at quarterback, I don’t think there is enough you can give up,” an exec said. “I’m good with what Carolina did as long as they know who they want. There’s no reason to be cute. It is easier to replace that skill guy you parted with than your quarterback for the next eight years.”

With a rookie quarterback on the way via the first pick, the Panthers landed a seasoned backup in Andy Dalton, a young running back in Miles Sanders, veteran receivers Adam Thielen and D.J. Chark, plus a veteran receiving tight end in Hayden Hurst.

Sanders ranked fifth in rushing yards last season with 1,269 and played in every game. The one running back drafted ahead of him in 2019, Josh Jacobs, has 1,053 career carries. Sanders has 581.

“These teams like Carolina that have been stuck in the wilderness, you applaud them for being aggressive and going to make a move,” an exec said. “D.J. Moore is better than Adam Thielen, but at least they went out and got guys. Sanders got a little more (money) than I expected — you never felt he was the straw that stirred Philly’s drink — but you can see they have a plan.”

continued..

My friend Ken L

Comment

Working...
                                X