X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Brady announces his retirement, “for good”

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 1, 2023, 8:17 AM EST

Getty Images

Tom Brady says he’s retiring. And this time he says he’s not going to change his mind.

Brady posted a video on social media today in which he announced his retirement. He acknowledged in the video that he said the same thing one year ago today, but he insists that this time there’s no going back.

“Good morning, guys, I’ll get to the point right away: I’m retiring for good,” Brady said. “I know the process was a pretty big deal last time, so when I woke up this morning I figured I’d just press record and let you guys know first. So I won’t be long-winded. I think you only get one super emotional retirement essay, and I used mine up last year. So, really, thank you guys, so much, to every single one of you, for supporting me. My family, my friends, teammates, my competitors, I could go on forever, there’s too many. Thank you, guys, for letting me live my absolute dream. I wouldn’t change a thing. Love you all.”

Brady quarterbacked his teams to an unprecedented seven Super Bowl titles. He’s the only player in NFL history with seven Super Bowl rings, the only player with five Super Bowl MVPs, and he owns NFL records including most wins, most passes, most completions, most yards and most touchdowns, both in the regular season and in the postseason. He retires as the greatest player in NFL history.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Bowlen family hired Paton and signed off on the Wilson deal. Penner-Walton didn't take ownership until the fall.

Comment

• Report: Sean Payton to make “somewhere between” $17 million to $20 million per year

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2023, 6:21 AM EST

Getty Images

The initial wave of national reports regarding Sean Payton becoming the next coach of the Denver Broncos said nothing about what he’ll be paid. At least one local report suppled that information.

That information, as we’ll explain in a moment, also may be incomplete.

Mike Klis of 9News.com reports that Payton will receive “somewhere between” $17 million and $20 million per year, on a contract that will last at least five years.

Payton reportedly had been seeking between $20 million and $25 million per year. The Dolphins were reportedly ready to pay him that much last year, when secretly courting Payton and quarterback Tom Brady.

The reality is that Payton may still get there. As previously explained, the highest-paid NFL coaches get more money off the books from sources other than the team itself. It’s a way to properly compensate the coach without further blowing the official compensation curve. And it’s permissible because there’s no salary cap for coaching.

That’s why our general position when hearing how much one of the highest-paid coaches is making is to assume the truth is more.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• The best thing about the Brady retirement is it forces another QB opening. The more needy teams the better for us.

Comment

• Good for Brady. He was totally cooked this year. He morphed into Uncle Rico.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
              Have they given any details on the power structure? Payton was stumping like he wanted full control, so curious to say who has final say on personnel there.
              I haven't heard anything, it seemed like Harbaugh had no interest because of the power structure. It sounded inefficient.

Comment

• Garappolo to Tampa would be entertaining. Imagine the Bucs are going to try to limp along as pseudo playoff contenders with their older roster for another year (or two) under Bowles and set up for a rebuild beyond/house cleaning after that.

Comment

• Or Carr. Regardless, it takes away an option for QB needy teams. A team wanting Jimmy or Carr will have to go get one in the draft.

Comment

• I’m talking specifically about Jimmy G following in Brady’s path. I doubt that happens, but the storyline would be fun.

Comment

• Tampa is so old and slow. They need to pull a tank and let their elite FA sign elsewhere. Then they go into next offseason with a high pick and land comp picks. Dean and David will land them 3rd round comps. Use their 1st on a QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                        Good for Brady. He was totally cooked this year. He morphed into Uncle Rico.
                        I was sad to see him come back this year....especially since the decision cost him his marriage...It seemed like a very selfish thing to do, but many players have a problem walking away..... Still if Super Bowl wins are the measuring stick, then he is the greatest of all time.

Comment

• 17-20M per year and 2 high draft picks to get Sean Payton....it is amazing what teams will spend in pursuit of a super bowl

Comment

• Duce going to CAR. Do we get a pick because he’s black?

Comment

• Dam man, why?

Eagles offensive lineman Josh Sills is indicted on rape and kidnapping charges

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2023, 11:19 AM EST

Getty Images

Josh Sills, an undrafted rookie in 2022 who made the 53-man roster with the Eagles, has been indicted on charges of rape and kidnapping.

Via TMZ.com, the allegations arise from an incident that occurred on December 5, 2019, in his home state of Ohio. He allegedly “engaged in sexual activity that was not consensual and held a victim against her will.”

Sills is due to appear in court on February 16, just four days after Super Bowl LVII.

Sills played college football at West Virginia and Oklahoma State. He appeared in only one game for Philadelphia in 2022.

His relative importance to the team and the serious nature of the charges could (and perhaps should) result in Sills summarily being released by the Eagles.

Comment

• NFL places Josh Sills on Commissioner Exempt list

Posted by Josh Alper on February 1, 2023, 2:46 PM EST

Getty Images

The NFL moved Eagles offensive lineman Josh Sills to the Commissioner Exempt list on Wednesday after he was indicted in Ohio on rape and kidnapping charges.

Sills will continue to be paid while on the list, but he will not be able to participate in practices, Super Bowl LVII or any other games until the league updates his status. The league also said that the matter will continue to be reviewed under the Personal Conduct Policy.

Sills is accused of engaging in non-consensual sexual activity and holding a victim against her will in 2019. The Eagles released a statement before the NFL’s announcement that Sills was placed on the exempt list.

“The organization is aware of the legal matter involving Josh Sills,” the team said. “We have been in communication with the league office and are in the process of gathering more information. We have no further comment at this time.”

Sills appeared in one game for the Eagles this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X