NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
    I was disappointed to see Quinn go back to Dallas. The Lions have to play them again next season and he has that defense playing amazingly well.
    I no longer worry about other teams. THAT TEAM has exorcised those demons for me. They better worry about us.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
      THAT didn't take long...

Chargers announce Kellen Moore as their new offensive coordinator

Posted by Josh Alper on January 30, 2023, 2:01 PM EST

Getty Images

Kellen Moore has officially landed a new job.

Word on Monday was that Moore would be hired as the Chargers’ new offensive coordinator and the team officially announced their agreement with Moore on Monday afternoon. Moore parted ways with the Cowboys on Sunday after four years as their offensive coordinator.

The Cowboys finished in the top six in points scored in three of Moore’s four seasons — the outlier was when Dak Prescott broke his ankle in 2020 — and they finished fourth during the 2022 season.

The Chargers slipped from 474 points scored in 2021 to 391 this season and they finished 30th in the league in rushing yards. The inability to take a step forward offensively with Justin Herbert at quarterback led to Joe Lombardi’s firing after the playoff loss to the Jaguars and Moore will be charged with amping things up right off the bat in Los Angeles.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Jessie Bates: I’d love to be back with Bengals, but that’s out of my control

Posted by Myles Simmons on January 30, 2023, 12:11 PM EST

Getty Images

Safety Jessie Bates has been a staple of the Bengals’ secondary since the team selected him in the second round of the 2018 draft.

But after five years with Cincinnati, Bates’ time with the franchise could be coming to an end.

The Bengals used the franchise tag to keep Bates in the fold last year and it’s unlikely they’d franchise him a second time. Bates didn’t even sign the tag and join the team at training camp until Aug. 23. He still had his usual strong season, posting a career-best four interceptions with eight passes defensed and a forced fumble.

The Bengals also drafted a potential replacement for Bates with the 31st overall pick in 2022 in Daxton Hill.

After Sunday’s loss to the Chiefs, Bates expressed appreciation for his time with Cincinnati.

“I’m super grateful — that’s all I could think about running off the field,” Bates said postgame, via Cincinnati Bengals Talk. “It’s where we were when I first got here and where it ended — just says a lot. … I’ve met a lot of great people in this locker room, in the training room, reporters, normal people in Cincinnati. I’ve built huge relationships, connections.

“So, if this is the end, I’m super grateful for the process. Super grateful for everything that I’ve learned here in Cincinnati, in my five years. We’ll see what happens.”

Bates reiterated those strong ties to the organization when asked directly if he’d like to be back for 2023.

“I’ve been drafted here. I became a man here,” Bates said. “I’d love to be here, but that’s out of my control. Whatever happens at the end of the day, I can say I love my brothers like no other. I played my heart out like no other. And that’s all you can really control, at the end of the day.

“I’ll be able to look back on this and learn from it and have those connections forever.”

Bates will surely have a market when he hits free agency. He’s started all 79 games in which he’s played since 2018, recording 14 interceptions, 43 passes defensed, three forced fumbles, and a pair of fumble recoveries.

Comment

• Travis Kelce: “Cincinnati was a better city when Jerry Springer was the mayor”

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2023, 12:07 PM EST

Getty Images

Cincinnati Mayor Aftab Pureval went a little overboard in supporting the Bengals last week, and the Chiefs noticed.

Pureval issued a proclamation last week that referred to the Chiefs’ stadium as “Burrowhead Stadium” and said that Joe Burrow should take a paternity test to see if he’s Patrick Mahomes‘ father. Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce talked some trash back at Pureval after beating the Bengals.

“Cincinnati was a better city when Jerry Springer was the mayor,” Kelce said.

In the postgame celebration, Kelce also addressed Pureval directly.

“I’ve got some wise words for that Cincinnati mayor: Know your role and shut your mouth, jabroni,” Kelce said.

Pureval went on Twitter afterward and accepted it.

“Yeah. Deserved that,” Pureval wrote. “Congrats to KC on a well-fought win, and good luck in Arizona. Proud of our fans and our @bengals for the energy all year.”

Next year, Pureval will likely tone down the trash talk toward the Bengals’ opponents.

Comment

• At times, NFL needs to slow things down for “expedited review” to work

Posted by Mike Florio on January 30, 2023, 10:27 AM EST

Getty Images

The opening drive of Sunday’s NFC Championship included an opening-drive fourth-down conversion that shouldn’t have been.

Receiver DeVonta Smith made what appeared to be a great catch on fourth and three from the San Francisco 35. 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan could have challenged the play, but the key replay wasn’t immediately available.

Some have suggested that Shanahan should have realized from the manner in which the Eagles rushed to the line to snap the ball that something about the catch was amiss. Still, without seeing the play, the idea of burning a challenge on a hunch that early in the game made little sense.

Enter expedited review. As explained during the game, the NFL has the power to alter plays without a formal replay review. Under one of various specific categories in the rulebook (more on that in a later post), the replay assistant or the league office can intervene, if the ruling on the field was clearly and obviously wrong.

As to the Smith non-catch, the league office has access to all Fox camera angles, and more, in real time. The evidence was available to be seen, if someone had enough time to see it.

That’s where the longstanding habit of teams rushing to snap the ball becomes critical. As Chris Simms pointed out during Monday’s PFT Live, in what other sport is the action rushed forward to prevent a mistake from being fixed?

In this case, how hard would it be for the league office to instruct the referee to pause the action so that expedited review wouldn’t have to be quite so expedited?

Would it slow the game down by 10 or 20 seconds? Sure. But if the goal is to get things right, it’s time well spent.

It’s a case-by-case, know-it-when-you-see-it test. For the same reason Shanahan should have wondered whether a challenge flag may have been justified, the league office should have realized that the Eagles were trying to cut off any type of review process by getting the ball snapped.

Consider the difference in this case. Instead of the Eagles getting an ill-gotten first and goal that, two plays later, became a touchdown, the 49ers would have had a first and 10 from their own 35.

With or without the Brock Purdy injury (which may or may not have happened if the ensuing drive had begun at the 35 instead of the 25), things would have been very different as a result of the first drive of the game.

The league is fortunate that the catch and the touchdown it set up didn’t impact the outcome of the game. But the league should treat the situation as if it did, in order to spur the kind of change necessary to ensure that a team won’t short-circuit expedited review by getting the ball snapped and cutting off any chance to fix a clear and obvious mistake.

Comment

• Fred Warner: DeMeco Ryans is fully deserving to go on and be a head coach

Posted by Myles Simmons on January 30, 2023, 9:19 AM EST

Getty Images

Since entering the league in 2018, 49ers linebacker Fred Warner has been coached by DeMeco Ryans.

Ryans was Warner’s position coach for the linebacker’s first three seasons. And since 2021, Ryans has been San Francisco’s defensive coordinator.

But now that run appears to be at an end, with Ryans reportedly the frontrunner to become the next head coach of the Texans.

Warner finally let himself get out of the moment a little bit as the NFC Championship Game was ending.

“I hadn’t thought about it up until this point because, obviously, you think you’re going to win it all,” Warner said, via Angelina Martin of NBCSportsBayArea.com. “But seeing [Ryans] was emotional, it was. It was the first time it kind of hit me, right, that this was the last one with him, and we came into this thing together.

I owe everything to him. He’s the reason I’m the player I am today. He’s fully deserving to go on and be a head coach. It hit hard today, for sure.”

A two-time, first-team All-Pro, Warner will likely have to get used to a third defensive play-caller in four seasons for 2023.

Comment

• I thought the Niners got some pretty bad calls against them moreso than the Bengals, but it didn't matter because of the quarterback situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

I no longer worry about other teams. THAT TEAM has exorcised those demons for me. They better worry about us.
                  Amen
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Joe Burrow on Bengals-Chiefs trash talk: Makes football fun, it’s an emotional game

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 31, 2023, 4:40 AM EST

Getty Images

There was plenty of trash talk between the Bengals and Chiefs before, during and after the AFC Championship Game, but Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow says that’s not an indication that there’s any lack of respect among the players.

Burrow said after the game that he thinks highly of the Chiefs and their players and accepts that for now, it’s the Chiefs who have bragging rights.

“I just think that’s what makes football fun,” Burrow said. “It’s all love at the end of the day. They know the respect that we have for them and I know the respect that they have for us. It’s an intense, emotional game. Things like that are going to happen, but I think that’s why the game is fun.”

The Bengals and Chiefs have now met in two AFC Championship Games in a row, and Burrow said it’s safe to say they’ll see each other in plenty more big games in the years ahead.

“I think you can expect that. We know the kind of team they have, the kind of quarterback they have, and the kind of coaches they have,” Burrow said. “We expect to be back there and I think they do too.”

Comment

• Every time I forget how far the Lions have come, I look to the Raiders and I'm reminded of the growth.

Raiders could be planning to squat on Derek Carr, for now

Posted by Mike Florio on January 30, 2023, 8:29 PM EST

Getty Images

The Raiders have 16 days to figure out a potential trade for quarterback Derek Carr before $40.4 million in future compensation becomes fully guaranteed. So why haven’t they given Carr permission to try to find a suitor?

Here’s the problem. The Raiders likely fear that those discussions would result in a wink-nod understanding that Carr will tell the Raiders he won’t waive his no-trade clause, forcing a release — and then allowing him to get more than the new team would be willing to pay, if it has to also compensate the Raiders.

From Carr’s perspective, it’s better to be cut than traded. He picks his destination, he maximizes his compensation, and his new team can pay him more because it didn’t have to send a draft pick or two to his old team.

The Raiders are smart enough to realize this. Thus, the goal for now seems to be keeping Carr from finding out what’s behind Door No. 2. The more he knows about what other teams will or won’t do, the more likely he realizes that his best play would be to fold his arms and refuse to cooperate.

Then there’s this possibility. The Raiders, in lieu of cutting him, will keep him. And keep him. And keep him, until they get the deal they want.

It would be similar to what the Browns did with Baker Mayfield. Yes, he had a $19.9 million salary for 2022. But he had nowhere to play. And the longer it played out, the harder it would be for him to get ready for the regular season.

Eventually, he gave up $4.6 million, and the Browns saved $9.4 million.

The Raiders actually could benefit from sitting on Carr until after the upcoming game of veteran quarterback musical chairs ends. Assuming that at least one quarterback-needy team doesn’t get the guy it wants, the Raiders will operate from a position of strength.

If, in contract, they hustle to strike a deal for Carr before February 15, they’ll be operating from a position of weakness.

If that’s what the Raiders are doing, it’s quite a gamble. A $40.4 million gamble, more than twice the $19.9 million the Browns gambled with.

Carr could just say, “Fine. I’ll show up for practice and games and collect your checks and not play.” They can’t lock him out, if he wants to be there.

But the Raiders could be banking on Carr desperately not wanting to be there, and also desperately wanting to be elsewhere. That’s the way to get him to trim enough of that $40.4 million to facilitate a trade — even if the Raiders end up paying some of it.

It’s far better than paying all of it.
                      Last edited by Futureshock; January 31, 2023, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• The cap went up by 16m….good news

Comment

• Went up by about as much as everyone was predicting, so I highly doubt Holmes has some unexpected spending money he wasn't anticipating.

Comment

• Tyler Huntley named to the Pro Bowl.
                            Season stats: 658 passing yards. 2 TDs, 3 INTs. Eye test, pretty bad.
                            Adds onto the fact that you should disregard Pro Bowl appearances when discussing any NFL player’s career.

and now that I understand “The Sopranos” memes. Junior Soprano, the comic relief:

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• My guess? They went down a list until they got someone willing to say "Yeah, sure."

Comment

• So he gets to play in a flag football game
                                cool

Comment

Working...
                                X