No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals interview Frank Reich on Tuesday, request interview with Ejiro Evero

Posted by Charean Williams on January 17, 2023, 10:40 PM EST

Getty Images

The Cardinals have a new General Manager, introducing Monti Ossenfort on Tuesday. They expect to have a new head coach soon, owner Bill Bidwill said.

Frank Reich became the latest to interview with the Cardinals.

Dan Graziano of ESPN reports Reich and the team met Tuesday.

Reich was fired by the Colts after a 3-5-1 start to the season, finishing his time in Indianapolis with a 40-33-1 record. He previously served as the offensive coordinator for the Eagles and Chargers.

Reich had an interview with the Panthers last week.

Bidwill said an interview with internal candidate Vance Joseph is on the schedule. The Cardinals also have permission for interviews with Sean Payton, 49ers defensive coordinator Demeco Ryans and Steelers linebackers coach Brian Flores.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero also is on their radar, with the Cardinals requesting permission to interview him. Evero has been a hot head coaching prospect this hiring cycle, with interviews with the Texans, Panthers, Broncos and Colts.

They are seeking to replace Kliff Kingsbury.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• The more teams interview other candidates, the more I think Johnson will be back.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• 49ers get two more third-round compensatory picks after Titans hire Ran Carthon

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2023, 7:02 PM EST

Getty Images

The 49ers continue to benefit from developing a diverse group of coaches and personnel executives.

In 2020 the NFL implemented a new rule to try to incentivize teams to develop minority coaches and executives, which rewarded any team with two third-round compensatory picks if a minority was hired away from their franchise to become another team’s head coach or General Manager.

That means the 49ers will get third-round compensatory picks in the 2023 and 2024 NFL drafts after the Titans hired 49ers director of pro personnel Ran Carthon as their new General Manager.

For the 49ers, this rule has become a regular source of third-round draft picks. The 49ers also received third-round compensatory picks when the Commanders hired Martin Mayhew as General Manager, when the Jets hired Robert Saleh as head coach and when the Dolphins hired Mike McDaniel as head coach.

The 49ers could still add to their compensatory picks if defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans is hired as a head coach this year.

Comment

• Well, Johnson said he’s coming back.

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          If you are trying to get the best out of Kyler Murray, the best bet is Jim Caldwell.
          I hope Caldwell returns to the NFL.

Panthers and Broncos interviewed Caldwell for HC. Commanders had interest in Caldwell for OC, but were declined.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• In my Urkel voice, "Did THAT team do that?"

Aaron Rodgers isn’t “mentally or emotionally” ready to make decision on his future

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2023, 3:52 PM EST

Getty Images

Aaron Rodgers has had nine days to ponder his future, since Green Bay’s season came to an abrupt conclusion via a home loss to the Lions in Week 18. He needs more time before deciding on what he wants to do in 2023.

Appearing with Pat McAfee and former teammate A.J. Hawk, Rodgers said, as to making decisions about his future, he’s “not mentally or emotionally at that point” to make a decision about his future.

He suggested that, after a few weeks, he’ll be in a “better frame of mind” to consider his future. For now, he said he “has a feeling” where he’s leaning.

Rodgers exited Lambeau Field as if he won’t be back. He spoke in his final press conference in ways that suggested maybe he had played his last game with the Packers.

The options are fairly narrow: (1) play for the Packers; (2) play for someone else; or (3) retire.

He can retire without owing any money back to the Packers, but he’d be giving up roughly $60 million in 2023 compensation. He could try to finagle a trade to a new team, if that team is willing to take on $60 million in financial liability. (The Packers could choose to pay some of the money to facilitate a trade.)

And while it appears that he considered joining a new team in 2022 before deciding to stay put, he could decide to finally give it a try somewhere else, if he believes he can thrive in a new spot.

“Do I still think I can play?” Rodgers said. “Of course. Of course. Can I play at a high level? Yeah, the highest. I think I can win MVP again, in the right situation. Right situation, is that Green Bay or is that somewhere else, I’m not sure. But I don’t think you should shut down any opportunity. Like I said during the season, It’s got to be both sides like actually wanting to work together moving forward, and I think there’s more conversation to be had.”

He offered a pretty strong clue as to what would prompt him to not want to play for the Packers.

“I think no player wants to be part of any type of rebuild,” Packers said. “I said that years ago. Reloads are a lot of fun, because you feel like you’re close. You’re only a couple guys away.”

So does he think the Packers are only a couple guys away? Or will he be looking for a team that is only one guy away, as in him?

Rodgers also will be paying attention to whether the Packers will be bringing back some of his favorite teammates. He mentioned tight end Marcedes Lewis, receiver Randall Cobb, tackle David Bakhtiari, receiver Allen Lazard, and tight end Robert Tonyan.

“We’ll see their desire to re-sign these certain guys who are ‘glue’ guys in the locker room,” Rodgers said, later making it clear that, if the Packers decide to rebuild, Rodgers will have no interest in playing there.

Whatever he chooses to do, the decision likely will come early in the offseason, like it did last year. The Packers need to know who their quarterback will be. And if Rodgers would play for someone else, the sooner he makes that move, the better.

Wherever he goes (if he does something other than go home), he needs to be all in, throughout the offseason program. His teammates, whether in Green Bay or somewhere else, need to get comfortable with him. He needs to get comfortable with them.

In 2022, there’s a line to be drawn between Rodgers not being around and the rookie receivers taking a long time to get themselves sufficiently comfortable. If he’s in (and he says if he’s in, he’ll be all-in), he needs to be all in.

Comment

• 2022 Aaron Rodgers: 27 touchdowns, 12 interceptions
              2022 Justin Fields: 25 touchdowns, 11 interceptions (in two less games)​

Comment

• You have to wonder how much that thumb injury was to blame for Rodgers' poor season. I think he showed flashes and probably has another year or two of high level play left in the tank. It really depends on how much he gets hit. Those older bodies don't recover as quickly as the young guys', but if he's healthy and they can keep him clean, he still has the potential to light it up.

I would really like to see him move on from GB, but I think his contract will keep him there.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I think his regression is more then the injured thumb. His arm and body aren't what they used to be and he still thinks they are. I want him in GB. Using up their cap and bringing them false hope. As the franchise is in a holding pattern.

He's living in the shadow of his "Legend."

Comment

• Lol. Meet Kyler Murray...
                    Monti Ossenfort: Ego will not be tolerated in this organization

Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2023, 3:52 PM EST

USA Today Sports

Cardinals General Manager Monti Ossenfort held his first press conference since getting the job on Tuesday and he discussed the kind of players he wants to see join the team in the future.

Team owner Michael Bidwill said that he and Ossenfort agreed that the Cardinals “need more accountability” than they’ve had in past seasons. Ossenfort expanded on that during his time at the podium.

“We’re not just collecting talent, we’re going to build a team,” Ossenfort said, via the team’s website. “Ego will not be tolerated in this organization. [We want] people that are willing to put the team first every step of the way.”

No one mentioned any specific players, but it’s hard not to hear those comments and not think about last offseason’s issue regarding a provision in quarterback Kyler Murray‘s contract regarding how much film he watches. That clause was eventually removed from the deal and Murray’s ACL rehab is the more pressing issue at present, but it will be interesting to see how Ossenfort’s outlook guides the team’s offseason moves.

Comment

• Maybe he will draft a QB to replace the ego there. I say yes sir

Comment

• Jerry Jones realizes forcing Daniel Snyder out could scare others away

Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2023, 6:46 AM EST

Getty Images

Monday’s edition of Sports Business Daily contained a blurb regarding some predictable and obvious comments from Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. The comments amounted to, for me, a predictable curiosity.

With Wednesday providing a pivot from the aftermath of the wild-card round and the divisional round, I predictably became curious.

This part isn’t surprising. Jones told Jarrett Bell of USA Today in December (the item was published on January 13) that Jones has “yet to see conclusive evidence that would rise to the level of other NFL owners voting to force Snyder to sell his franchise.”

Jones has no reason to rail against Snyder, because Jones (and surely other owners) would prefer not to set a precedent that could then be used against them. That’s one of the potential reasons why the NFL brushed the Beth Wilkinson investigation under the rug in 2021, concealing any “conclusive proof” she may have found — and glossing over the question of whether she believed based on her investigation (including her interview with Snyder and her conclusions as to whether he was or wasn’t being truthful) that he should be forced to sell.

Instead of making it about him, Jones made it about the impact that running Snyder off would have on luring other multi-billionaires to buy teams.

“My main thing about Washington is that I don’t want to do damage to the ability to attract capital,” Jones told Bell. “With sponsors alone, you want people to stand in line to be associated with the team. There are a lot of natural things that will occur on their own if you don’t mess it up.”

So, in other words, look the other way regarding owner misconduct, because you don’t want potential sponsors or owners to look for other places to spend their money.

Through it all, Jones sounds like someone who realizes that there’s a limit to everything, including the NFL’s willingness to tolerate Snyder’s alleged and/or actual antics.

“He’s got the perfect storm,” Jones said of Snyder. “If he decided to move on, who could possibly blame him? Or [his wife, Tanya]? On top of that, he’s not the most beloved guy around, which I guess I might identify with a bit, too.”

Jones also realizes that supporting Snyder comes with a cost.

“Is he worth me taking a sword?” Jones told Bell. “He’s not Al Davis. For me, he’s not.”

For now, the owners are treading lightly, waiting for Snyder to do what he seems to be doing. If he goes away on his own, the owners don’t have to force him out.

More importantly, they don’t have to talk about forcing him out. And Jones realizes those conversations, with so many in the room, will find a way to the prying eyes and ears of the media — especially if someone is secretly records the sessions, as someone did during deliberations regarding the league’s handling of the controversy arising from the national anthem.

“I would say we’ve had to be more formal in our conversations,” Jones told Bell. “We’re not as cavalier as we might have been. Follow me? Don’t know who’s listening. Who’s what? So, we’ve had to be more formal.”

If Snyder doesn’t sell on his own, those formalities inevitably will include a vote to force him to do it. For now, the owners (along with everyone else) are simply waiting to see whether Snyder will actually do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          You have to wonder how much that thumb injury was to blame for Rodgers' poor season. I think he showed flashes and probably has another year or two of high level play left in the tank. It really depends on how much he gets hit. Those older bodies don't recover as quickly as the young guys', but if he's healthy and they can keep him clean, he still has the potential to light it up.

I would really like to see him move on from GB, but I think his contract will keep him there.
                          The thumb injury and no Devante Adams. Dude was the MVP last year and then this year he threw more "WTF was that" passes in one season than he's thrown in an entire decade probably.

That said, like Brady, he doesn't want to get hit anymore and that affects his play. Can still make big time throws or pick apart the defense when he has time, but he's going to bail a lot sooner or chuck and duck (which he did on the last throw of the season).
                          Last edited by Mainevent; January 18, 2023, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
                            I read piece from a Boston writer that said Patricia is mad at Mac Jones, because Mac was calling out the O and making him look bad at the end of the year.

Like Patricia needs help looking bad
                            Figuratively and literally.
                            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I just looked at Gamer-Smurf’s contract….the Cards are so fucked.

They better hope Murray starts playing well because that contract is an un-cutable un-tradable anchor hanging around the GMs neck. They”re stuck with Murray for at least 2 more years

Comment

• It's why I think Caldwell is the best option for them, Murray needs some of the structure that Caldwell provided Stafford. I think Stafford was better but if you have make it work, he is the guy. Judging by that dude they just hired, I think they are going to go in the opposite direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X