X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaire Alexander calls Justin Jefferson’s Week 1 performance a fluke

Posted by Josh Alper on December 30, 2022, 7:50 AM EST

Getty Images

Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson is on pace to set a new single-season record for receiving yards and he got the ball rolling on that pursuit with a big game in the season opener against the Packers.

Jefferson caught 11 passes for 184 yards and two touchdowns in a 23-7 home win that also started the Vikings on their way toward the NFC North crown. The two teams will meet again at Lambeau Field this weekend and Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander doesn’t think an encore is in the cards.

“You’ve just got to be real: He don’t jump in no super suit and get dressed and jump outside, you hear me?” Alexander said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “I don’t either, sometimes. But he [is] human, is what I’m saying. We ain’t putting too much on nobody. He’s a really good receiver. But at the end of the day, I’m a really good corner. We’ve got really good corners, we’ve got really good linebackers, D-line, whatever it is. You don’t want to put too much focus on that one person because it’s like, the first game, that was a fluke.”

Jefferson said he heard Alexander talking about how he wished he had more chances to play man-to-man and is “definitely expecting them to play a little differently” than they did in the opener. Anything that brings about a different outcome will be welcome as Green Bay tries to continue their late push for a playoff spot.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• With half of his life spent in the NFL, retirement is “furthest thing” from Tom Brady’s mind

Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2022, 4:58 PM EST

Getty Images

Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady, as of today, has spent exactly the name number of days in the NFL as he has spent not in the NFL.

Specifically, he lived 8,292 days before being drafted by the Patriots in 2000. He has lived another 8,292 days since then.

“Wow, that’s crazy,” Brady told reporters on Thursday regarding the situation. “That’s crazy. That’s crazy — there’s stats and data everywhere. It’s a data-driven world, but that’s crazy. That’s hard for me to imagine. I’ve loved it. I’ve certainly loved my opportunity to play. It’s been a lot of memories and relationships, and I’ve certainly had my fair share of those.”

He may have even more, beyond this season. Asked what will determine his decision on whether to retire, Brady said he’s not thinking about it.

“Honestly, it’s the furthest thing from my mind,” Brady said. “I’m just going to go out there and try to play a great game this week. Our biggest games are ahead of us. We’ve got to do a good job and I’ve got to play quarterback, I’ve got to prepare well and that’s what I’m thinking about.”

Brady recently has said that, the next time he retires, he won’t be coming back. He’ll be a free agent after the season, able to go wherever he wants.

No one knows what he’ll do next year. The only certainty is that, 8,292 days from now, Brady will no longer be playing.

I think.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Justin Jefferson must be the leader in fluke games.

Comment

• Andy Reid: I hope Eric Bieniemy gets a head-coaching job, I’d rather not have it be in Denver

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 29, 2022, 4:20 PM EST

Getty Images

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid has said for years that he thinks Eric Bieniemy should be a head coach, and he continues to say so. But he’s hoping not to have to coach against him twice a year.

Asked about Bieniemy’s head-coaching candidacy this week after the Broncos’ job became available, Reid said he wants Bieniemy to get a job but doesn’t want it to be that one.

“I know what he can do, I’ve said it 100 times and I haven’t changed my opinion on that. I hope he gets an opportunity. I’d rather not have it in Denver, but I hope he gets an opportunity,” Reid said.

Bieniemy is in his fifth season as the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator, and he has been a candidate for several head-coaching jobs, but he still doesn’t have one. Bieniemy could make a lot of sense for the Broncos, as their offense needs a shot in the arm and Bieniemy is Colorado’s all-time leading rusher and a former Colorado offensive coordinator. And his presence would add some interest to the Broncos’ AFC West rivalry with the Chiefs.

Comment

• Aaron Rodgers: Vikings have been better than Bears, which makes our rivalry more intense

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 29, 2022, 2:34 PM EST

Getty Images

The Packers and Bears may have the NFL’s oldest rivalry, but Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says that in recent years it’s been the Vikings who have been the Packers’ true rivals.

Asked to compare the Packers’ rivalries with the Bears and Vikings, Rodgers noted that in recent years it hasn’t been all that competitive with the Bears, saying that since Brian Urlacher’s career in Chicago ended, Minnesota has been the better team.

“They’ve been a little bit better consistently since the Urlacher crew left Chicago,” Rodgers said. “The intensity is a little bit higher, obviously they’ve been playing really well, they’re a better football team than Chicago this year.”

Sunday’s game against the Vikings is one of the biggest Rodgers has played: If the Packers win, they have an excellent chance of earning an NFC wild card berth. If the Packers lose, they’re almost certain to miss the playoffs.

Comment

• All that old crap matters not. TODAY, the Vikings are slightly ahead of the Lions and the Packers are third in the NFCN. He's playing kidergarden level mind games. And just like a Puffer-fish he's trying to make himself and his team look bigger (better) than they are. Ain't nobody afraid of you or your team. F' GB

Comment

• Are they ready to ride?

After months of silence, Broncos players rush to Russell Wilson’s defense

Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2022, 10:22 AM EST

Getty Images

Something weird is happening in Denver.

That statement would be true pretty much every week of a wild and wacky 2022 season. The current nuttiness comes from a sudden effort by multiple Broncos players to rush to the public defense of quarterback Russell Wilson.

From receiver Jerry Jeudy to receiver K.J. Hamler to receiver Kendall Hinton to receiver Tim Patrick to receiver Courtland Sutton to offensive lineman Garrett Bolles to former Broncos running back Melvin Gordon, players suddenly — and supposedly organically — are pushing back against the criticism of Wilson. The catalyst seems to be recent remarks from former Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe, who said the Wilson’s perceived better-than-the-rest-of-you attitude has teammates “seething.”

Frankly, the fact that some have spoken out doesn’t mean the rest of the them feel the same way. Sharpe surely wasn’t pulling his thoughts out of thin air; it’s possible that plenty are saying nothing at all because they have nothing good to say.

Besides, Sharpe isn’t the first one to rip Wilson this year. Why is the pushback only happening now?

It feels orchestrated and contrived. With Wilson going nowhere in 2023, it could be part of a broader effort to create the impression to coaching candidates that the team isn’t one giant ball of oily dysfunction.

The more together the players seem to be, the more likely they are to land a good coach. In contrast, the messier things seem in the locker room, the more likely a coach with options will opt to go elsewhere.

It’s perhaps the only plausible explanation for this sudden, simultaneous effort to support a player who has been embattled for months.

Comment

• Blaine Gabbert assisted in water rescue that saved four people after helicopter crash

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 30, 2022, 10:18 AM EST

Getty Images

Buccaneers backup quarterback Blaine Gabbert was jet skiing near Tampa Bay on Thursday night when a helicopter crash landed in the water nearby, and he and two other men quickly acted to save the lives of the four people inside.

Hunter Hupp, who was in the helicopter with his parents and the pilot, said that Gabbert and the two others came to where the four people were treading water, pulled them onto their jet skis, and took them to the shore.

“They slowly brought us back to the shore, a sandy beach near the yacht club, and hung out for a while, were really nice,” Hupp told Greg Auman of FoxSports.com. “We exchanged pleasantries upon reaching flat ground. They were really an asset to helping us out, because we were the only ones out there for a while. It was a handshake and a huge and ‘Thank you so much.’ They went out for a nice afternoon ride and just happened to come upon a stranded helicopter family.”

Hupp said he and his family didn’t know who Gabbert was at the time but that his mom held tight to Gabbert as she was rescued.

“My mom said she was hoping to meet Tom Brady while we were down here,” he said. “I think she came pretty darn close.”

Police have confirmed that a helicopter had to make an emergency water landing, that all four people aboard survived, and that the work to remove the submerged helicopter is ongoing.

Comment

• NFL fines Allen Lazard for taunting trio of Miami defenders he took out with one block

Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2022, 11:44 AM EST

Getty Images

Thou shalt not point and count.

The NFL’s obsession with taunting has morphed into a general prohibition on pointing at opponents. Yes, officials will now flag players for the simple act of sticking a finger in their direction, if only to count them.

And the league office will fine them.

Although Packers receiver Allen Lazard wasn’t flagged, he has been fined for pointing at and counting up the three Dolphins defenders who were taken out by Lazard on a block during Sunday’s game between Green Bay and Miami.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Lazard was fined $10,609 for taunting.

After Week Eight, Eagles receiver A.J. Brown was flagged and fined for pointing at and counting the two Steelers players who tried to keep him from scoring a touchdown pass.

Meanwhile, Patriots quarterback Mac Jones was fined $11,139 for taking out the knees of Bengals cornerback Eli Apple in an unnecessary and illegal maneuver that could have seriously injured Apple.

The similarity in punishment makes little sense.

In recent years, the league has emphasized taunting, with the goal of players not doing anything that could piss off an opponent — and in turn set the taunting player up for any sort of retribution later in the game. But there’s a line as to what does and doesn’t truly create resentment and a desire for revenge.

While Lazard did indeed count the three players he took out with one block, he was roughly four yards away from the closest one. He didn’t get in their faces or hover over them. He was simply celebrating the moment by showing the world that he took out three guys with one block.

The league is now showing him that its desire for players to instantly turn off their inherent humanity includes pointing and counting, from more than 10 feet away.

Lazard will appeal the fine. If any appeal of any fine is ever going to succeed, it should be this one.

Comment

• Notable Incentives Still In Play For 2022

December 30th, 2022 at 10:47am CST by Sam Robinson

As we head into Week 17, a number of players still have key incentives available. Here is a handful of the notable escalators in reach — many involving Smiths — courtesy of SI.com’s Albert Breer.
                      • Justin Houston, OLB (Ravens): Already collecting $1MM by reaching 7.5 sacks, the 12th-year pass rusher (nine sacks) can move that number to $1.5MM by getting to 10.
                      • Christian Kirk, WR (Jaguars): The big-ticket Jags signing can collect $500K by hitting 80 receptions, with another $500K available if he reaches 90. Kirk has 76 catches. The ex-Cardinal (988 receiving yards) can also collect $1MM by surpassing 1,100.
                      • Raheem Mostert, RB (Dolphins): The offseason addition will almost certainly add $1MM to his 2022 earnings. By clearing 900 scrimmage yards, Mostert needs only the Dolphins to stay in the top 25 in total offense. Considering Miami ranks ninth, it is a good bet the ex-49er — who signed for one year and $2.2MM — will cash in.
                      • Geno Smith, QB (Seahawks): After already collecting $1MM for hitting playing-time incentives and $500K by making the Pro Bowl, Smith is likely to add another $1MM by eclipsing 4,000 passing yards for the first time. Smith, who signed for one year and $3.5MM, has 3,886 yards through 15 games.
                      • Preston Smith, OLB (Packers): Sitting on 8.5 sacks, the veteran edge rusher can collect $1MM by ballooning that number to 10. Another $1MM would be in play for Smith if he reached 12 sacks this season.
                      • Za’Darius Smith, OLB (Vikings): The 2022 Minnesota signee can up his incentive package to either $750K by hitting 10.5 sacks or $1MM by reaching 12.5. The veteran edge has 10 sacks through 15 games.
                      • JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR (Chiefs): Leading Chiefs wideouts in receiving yards (877) by a wide margin, Smith-Schuster is likely to enhance his already-impressive incentive collection by topping 900 receiving yards. That would put the ex-Steeler at $3MM in total incentives earned. Signing a one-year deal worth $3.76MM, Smith-Schuster has already collected $2.5MM in escalators.
                      • J.J. Watt, DL (Cardinals): Lastly, the retiring D-lineman collected $900K by reaching nine sacks (9.5); he can bump that number to $1MM by tallying a 10th sack over the team’s final two games.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Totally false, you might think that, but the NBA ratings were up on Christmas day 5.3 percent. The NFL ratings show that the NFL is very strong in relation to anything, but there is no indication whatsoever that the NBA cannot thrive on Christmas.
                        Basketball lost me years ago when it ceased being a team sport.
                        Apathetic No More.

Comment

• You're missing out. The NBA is a great team sport, you have missed the Warriors.

Comment

• Also watch the Nuggets, you can't have better team offense than when Jokic is in there, his passes are exquisite.

Comment

• Yeah, there was a stretch where the game was basically two dudes playing isolation offense for 48 minutes, but that style of play has been LONG out of date.

Comment

• Balance makes everything better IMO. Basketball went from nobody being able to make a 3 to everybody’s grandma making them.
                                I was wondering if a rule change or something could balance the game out a little more then it is.
                                Or maybe I’m just old and can’t except the change that has come to the sport.
                                Maybe if I watched it more I could come to embrace the 3 point more.
                                Sometimes it just seems like it’s a game of Horse

Comment

Working...
                                X