No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL will discuss making roughing the passer reviewable, more ejections for illegal hits on QBs

Posted by Charean Williams on December 14, 2022, 1:35 PM EST

USA TODAY Sports

Roughing the passer penalties are down from last year, falling from 121 at this point in 2021 to 76 so far this season. But a handful of those 76 shouldn’t have been called, including Dolphins pass rusher Jaelan Phillips for a legal hit on Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert on Sunday Night Football.

The NFL acknowledged referee Scott Novak’s error in throwing a flag against Phillips.

“Didn’t like that call,” NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent said Wednesday at the league meetings in Irving, Texas. “We thought that Phillips did what we are asking the coaches to coach and the players to actually execute.”

Earlier this season, officials had egregious calls that went against Grady Jarrett for sacking Tom Brady and Chris Jones for strip-sacking Derek Carr.

The NFL’s “when in doubt” stance about roughness calls has prompted some owners and General Managers to question whether a roughing penalty should become reviewable.

Vincent said the Competition Committee will discuss whether to make roughing the passer reviewable as well as whether more players should be ejected for roughing the passer penalties.

“Quarterback goes down by a hit. Obviously, there’s a flag on the field,” Vincent said. “Should that player be automatically ejected or should that be a reviewable play? That’ll be a topic of what’s reviewed. What should be reviewable? Do you want to add things to that bucket? Is that something we should taking a look at? Should a disqualification automatically come with a player that is actually taken out of the game?”

The NFL’s one-year trial at making pass interference calls reviewable failed miserably in 2019. So does the league want to try to go there again with roughing the passer?

Vincent said “chasing perfection is the wrong place to go.”

“The officials, I must say, have been pretty consistent and very accurate on making that call, but they’re human. We will have an occasion where we may disagree,” Vincent said. “I mentioned the Chargers-Miami game. . . . But I think that is a discussion that will be a healthy discussion of the offseason with the Competition Committee, just keeping in mind: Do you allow the coach to challenge that? Or is that something that comes from New York? We look at game time. We were at 3:02. We were two minutes down a year ago. All those things come into factor.

“Because today it’s a personal foul, and there’s a ton of fouls that’s in that category. Where does it end? Again, the most impactful play in football is pass interference. Now, we start including the personal foul, but that’s why we’ll discuss it. We’ll bring back all the data: When it happens; how often it happens; how accurate is it? But I’ll be looking forward to this discussion.”

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

That's one of the funnier typos lol. I assume you mean congenial?
      Yeah..l don’t know what it is about the forum, but it makes my autocorrect function really active…like it’s tying to anticipate what I want to say.

Comment

• Awesome. I love denial in my opponents

Vikings defensive coordinator Ed Donatell: Defense with “work through” recent struggles

Posted by Mike Florio on December 14, 2022, 1:05 PM EST

Getty Images

The Vikings are 10-3. That’s good. Their defense is not.

Despite having a knack (in most close games) to make a big play in a big spot, the Minnesota defense has yielded points and yards in significant chunks. For five straight games, the opposing offense has gained more than 400 yards, a franchise record. And the Vikings have allowed more points than they have scored; it’s the first time in league history that a 10-3 team has had that distinction.

The situation has resulted in intense scrutiny of defensive coordinator Ed Donatell. He met with reporters on Wednesday regarding the struggles of the Purple People Abstainers.

Via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Donatell said that the team with “work through this,” and that “our guys are engaged” about what needs to be done.

Earlier this week, head coach Kevin O’Connell said that he’s not considering making a change at defensive play caller.

Still, the Vikings are last in total defense. They haven’t finished a season with that distinction since the 3-13 disaster of 1984.

I don’t feel good about it,” Donatell said.

He feels good about the team’s four-man rush, especially with Za'Darius Smith getting healthier.

For now, the defense doesn’t need to be great. To win in the playoffs, however, the Minnesota defense will have to be a lot better than it’s been.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Tank, tank, tank....

Justin Fields to miss practice with an illness

Posted by Josh Alper on December 14, 2022, 12:47 PM EST

Getty Images

The Bears will not have quarterback Justin Fields at practice on Wednesday.

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus told reporters that Fields will miss the team’s first on-field work of the week because of an illness. Eberflus called Fields day-to-day in regard to his status for Sunday’s home game against the Eagles.

Fields missed one game earlier this year with a left shoulder injury. Trevor Siemian started in his place, but suffered an oblique injury that led the team to put him on injured reserve. That leaves Nathan Peterman and Tim Boyle as the quarterback options in the event Fields can’t play.

Thursday should bring more of an idea about Fields’ outlook because a return to practice should put him on track to start this weekend.

Comment

• Marcus Mariota will have knee surgery, land on injured reserve

Posted by Mike Florio on December 14, 2022, 12:24 PM EST

Getty Images

Falcons quarterback Marcus Mariota has left the team. It officially doesn’t matter if he’s coming back.

Coach Arthur Smith told reporters on Wednesday that Mariota will have surgery next week on his injured knee, and that he’ll be placed on injured reserve, with Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com.

It’s unclear when the injury happened. Smith has described it as a “chronic” issue. However, Mariota has not appeared on any of the team’s injury reports, at all in 2022.

Technically, Mariota could return for the postseason. But if the Falcons qualify for the playoffs with rookie Desmond Ridder at the helm, they won’t be pivoting back to Mariota.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

That's one of the funnier typos lol. I assume you mean congenial?
              That or he thinks he is a hermaphrodite.
              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• NFL will no longer allow Raiders to use a holder on kickoffs to place football on top of tee

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 15, 2022, 4:23 AM EST

Getty Images

The Raiders’ strategy of using a holder on kickoffs to improve hang time is no longer allowed.

The NFL has now reversed course and won’t allow holders to hold the ball on top of the tee, according to FootballZebras.com.

Raiders coach Josh McDaniels explained that the Raiders got the bright idea to have the ball placed on the top of the tee, rather than inside the tee, which puts the ball slightly higher off the ground and gives kicker Daniel Carlson the opportunity to get under the ball better and get more hang time on his kickoffs. McDaniels said the Raiders first got clarification from the NFL that a holder is allowed to hold the ball on the top of the tee, and the league confirmed that it’s legal.

“They clarified a rule a couple weeks ago, that you’re permitted to hold the ball on the top of the tee now, so we’ve got a good kicker, you can add hang time to the kick, and I think you saw Daniel use that to our advantage,” McDaniels said. “That’s the rules. They clarified it a couple weeks ago. If it helps us gain some type of advantage, we’ll try to do that.”

But after the league’s officiating department discussed the matter with the competition committee, the determination has been made that footballs can only be placed in the tee and not on the tee. Holders can still be used on kickoffs when wind might blow the ball off the tee, but not for the purpose of gaining the hang time advantage the Raiders were seeking.

Comment

• Roger Goodell: Sunday Ticket negotiations are at a “very critical point”

Posted by Mike Florio on December 14, 2022, 8:28 PM EST

Getty Images

DirecTV has held the rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket package since its inception in 1994. After the next four Sundays, DirecTV will be out.

So who will be in? That’s still to be determined. But it apparently will be determined soon.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, during a press conference following the ownership meeting in Texas, said that he provided ownership with a “very brief” update.

“I would say it’s in a very critical point for us,” Goodell said. “We’ve had a lot of interest in this, and we continue to. Our decisions are not based on timelines. They’re based on it being the best outcome with the best party.”

The Sunday Ticket product will become a streaming package in 2023. For months, Apple had been regarded as the frontrunner. But without multiple parties clamoring for the deal, it’s difficult to get the maximum package.

And that may ultimately be the reason for the delay. The NFL has yet to get what it wants, so why not wait?

Comment

• Did OBJ join the proud girls?

Jerry Jones on Odell Beckham Jr.: “Stand by”

Posted by Mike Florio on December 14, 2022, 7:14 PM EST

USA TODAY Sports

The Cowboys seemingly moved on from receiver Odell Beckham Jr. when signing receiver T.Y. Hilton. On Tuesday, however, Cowboys owner/G.M. Jerry Jones said the door isn’t closed on OBJ.

On Wednesday, Jones reiterated his point.

Via Todd Archer of ESPN.com, Jones said that, if Odell Beckham Jr. signs, it will be sooner than later. So how soon would Beckham sign?

“I don’t want to talk about that but stand by,” Jones said. “This thing could break.”

Jones’s comments come at a time when some think Beckham won’t play at all in 2022. But Jones realizes that, with a player here or a play there, Beckham could make a big difference.

Great players make great plays,” Jones said, via Archer. “Great ones make exceptional plays. And so I hope we advance here where a handful of great plays, if I may be arm waving about it, could be the difference in a world championship.”

For the Cowboys, it’s better to focus first on getting back to the NFC Championship, something the Cowboys haven’t done since 1995.

Will Beckham be able to help win in the first two rounds of the playoffs? The sooner he gets in the door, the better the chance it happens.

Comment

• Cowboys claim Trayvon Mullen off waivers

Posted by Myles Simmons on December 14, 2022, 5:17 PM EST

Getty Images

Needing some depth for their defensive backfield, the Cowboys have brought in an experienced corner.

Dallas has claimed Trayvon Mullen off waivers on Wednesday, the team announced.

Mullen was most recently with Arizona after Las Vegas traded him there at the end of training camp. He appeared in eight games for Arizona, recording a forced fumble and one pass defensed. He played some snaps on defense, but mainly was playing special teams.

Mullen was a second-round pick in the 2019 draft and appeared in 37 games with 31 starts for the Raiders in his first three seasons. He recorded four picks and 28 passes defensed for the franchise.

The Cowboys also placed offensive tackle Terence Steele on injured reserve after he tore his ACL in the victory over the Texans. Defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins was also placed on IR with a shoulder/pectoral injury, though he may return for the postseason.

Comment

• Rams brace for cold night at Lambeau Field

Posted by Mike Florio on December 15, 2022, 8:36 PM EST

Getty Images

With all the talk about the Dolphins making a trip to Buffalo in the snow, another warm-weather team’s visit to a chilly climate has been overlooked.

On Monday in Green Bay, the Rams face the Packers. The temperature is expected to be in the teens at kickoff.

Rams coach Sean McVay was asked on Thursday about potential preparations for the elements.

“If you got an answer for that, I’d love it,” McVay told reporters, joking that the team would practice at a hockey rink. “No, it’s a different deal, nothing that you can really prepare for. It wasn’t going to be as cold as what it’s expected to be when we played there in the divisional round a couple years ago, so stay warm and then when you’re out there, hopefully the adrenaline kicks in.”

Quarterback Baker Mayfield played at Lambeau Field last Christmas. He expects it to be colder this time around.

“Wind-chill wise this will probably be the coldest one,” Mayfield told reporters. “I’ve played in a couple games that are pretty cold, maybe snow, a little bit rainy, or windy. But temperature wise, I think this will be the coldest one for me.”

How does Mayfield prepare for the cold?

“Just mentally just accepting the fact that everybody’s got to deal with it,” Mayfield said. “So I think when it comes to cold weather, there’s different preparation, different things you can wear. So we’re going to explore all those things just to eliminate it as much as you can. When it comes down to it, like I said, everybody has to deal with it. I might have to go with a ski mask or something to keep myself warm, so we’ll see.”

Linebacker Bobby Wagner‘s attire won’t include protection for his arms.

“No sleeves, man,” Wagner told reporters. “No sleeves. I have a little warm shirt on though, a little heated thing. But outside of that, no sleeves.”

How about going shirtless in warmups?

“I am not,” Wagner said. “I’m not that dumb. There are limits, you can’t push it.”

Again, it comes down to mindset.

“I think a lot of it is just mental,” Wagner said. “It’s cold out there, hot out there, it really doesn’t matter; it’s mental. Once you get past it being cold out there, it should be straight. My mindset is the faster you make the play, the faster you get to the heaters. If you’re cold, then make a play so we can get to the heaters.”

That’s the best approach. The better you do your job, the sooner you get to the heaters.

Comment

• Cold is cold, but Lambeau is not your father's frozen tundra.

The field is heated so they are not playing on a frozen turf, the balls are kept warm and they swap them out every play so the QBs aren't throwing a rock and the kicking balls are kept warm too.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Packers are cutting Sammy Watkins.

Comment

• Originally posted by kreton View Post
                              Packers are cutting Sammy Watkins.
                              He put chili powder in Erin's tampon.
                              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Originally posted by kreton View Post
                                Packers are cutting Sammy Watkins.
                                He looked just awful the few times I saw him this year......Missed assignments, wrong routes...im surprised they didnt cut him sooner.

Comment

Working...
                                X