No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Snyder couldn't reject a teammates shot. He would try, but you know that dude has no athletic ability. He oozes Napoleonic syndrome.

Comment

• Damn. Pretty high asking price for my # 1 target for the Lions from the 2019 NFL Draft… But nah, always draft TE in the 1st RD. I speculate it’s the Chiefs that made the offer.
      1. Chiefs are a contending team.
      2. Chiefs just cleared cap space with a contract restructure.
      3. Need of pass rush.
      4. Panthers would be wise to reject an offer if the team will likely being drafting in the late 20s/ early 30s.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I’d make a call about Derrick Brown
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
          Damn. Pretty high asking price for my # 1 target for the Lions from the 2019 NFL Draft… But nah, always draft TE in the 1st RD. I speculate it’s the Chiefs that made the offer.
          1. Chiefs are a contending team.
          2. Chiefs just cleared cap space with a contract restructure.
          3. Need of pass rush.
          4. Panthers would be wise to reject an offer if the team will likely being drafting in the late 20s/ early 30s.

Yeah, we both wanted Burns big time in that draft.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Kareem Hunt trade possibilities could hinge on Monday night’s outcome

Posted by Mike Florio on October 26, 2022, 10:31 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Browns have an underachieving team and a disgruntled running back whose contract expires after the current season. To no surprise, then, trade chatter has emerged regarding whether Kareem Hunt will land with a new team by next Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Reports definitely will emerge that the Browns are getting calls for Hunt, because calls are constantly made at this time of year for players who are or may be available in trade. The Browns have no reason to conceal it, because they want to get the best possible offer for the player.

The question is what will it take to get a deal done? A league source tells PFT that the Browns want a Christian McCaffrey-style haul. That’s excessive, but that’s where the Browns apparently are.

For now.

That could change if/when they lose to the Bengals on Monday night. If the Browns fall to 2-6, they may need to start thinking about loading up assets for improving the team in 2023, especially since Hunt will be gone after 2022, anyway.

If they beat the Bengals and more to 3-5, the vibe could be different. The Browns may be more inclined to hold Hunt, unless they get the kind of offer they want.

The broader point is this — teams may not know how aggressively they’ll be selling or buying until after the Week Eight games are played. The Browns play the very last game of Week Eight. That outcome may be the key to whether the Browns will take what they can get, or try to get more than anyone wants to give.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Ha!

In calling out teammates, Aaron Rodgers necessarily calls out his coach

Posted by Mike Florio on October 26, 2022, 9:41 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

My all-time favorite sound bite from any coach or player came six years ago next month, when Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers dismissed an opinion of mine, calling me out by name and saying “don’t waste your time reading crap like that.”

(I should have sent Aaron a free copy of Playmakers.)

The issue came up because Rodgers, at the time, was offering public criticisms of the team that logically were also criticisms of coach Mike McCarthy. Rodgers had said after a loss to the Colts that the sideline lacked energy. Rodgers also said that the players needed to have a healthy fear of losing their jobs, if they fail to do them.

My point was simple. It’s ultimately on the head coach to ensure that the sideline exudes energy, and that the players fear the consequences of poor performance. Thus, Rodgers necessarily was questioning whether the head coach was doing his job, even if Rodgers didn’t say it.

Rodgers didn’t like that I made the logical connection then. He probably won’t like what I’m about to say now.

But I can’t avoid it. It’s sitting right there, staring us all in the face. When Rodgers says players are making mental mistakes 20 percent of the time (i.e., one out of every five plays), and when he suggests that players who are making too many mistakes shouldn’t be playing but they obviously are, that’s a shot at coach Matt LaFleur.

How can it not be? What else would it be? Who else would be responsible for tolerating chronic mistakes by players who have faced no consequences for chronically making mistakes?

Maybe, this time around, Rodgers won’t be upset that I finished his thought. In 2016, he seemed to be determined to never say anything that could get him scrutinized, by anyone. He has since made a calculated heel turn, taking positions and stances and chiming in on controversial issues, damn the consequences.

Still, he surely hopes to have his teammates and coaches on his side. Explicitly calling out unnamed players for making too many mistakes won’t help. Implicitly calling out the man in charge of the performance of all players won’t help, either.

It should be interesting today, when LaFleur meets with reporters at the press-room podium. And when Rodgers stands in front of his locker, possibly reminding everyone once again to not waste their time reading crap like this.

Comment

• 49ers cut Tevin Coleman

Posted by Charean Williams on October 25, 2022, 6:29 PM EDT

Getty Images

The 49ers released running back Tevin Coleman from their active roster, the team announced Tuesday.

They signed Coleman to the practice squad on Sept. 21 and promoted him to the 53-player roster on Oct. 12.

In four games, Coleman totaled 12 carries for 26 yards and a touchdown, while catching three passes for 44 yards and a touchdown.

The 49ers traded for running back Christian McCaffrey last week, giving them five running backs on the active roster. Jeff Wilson Jr., Tyrion Davis-Price and Jordan Mason are the other running backs on the 53-player roster, and Elijah Mitchell is set to return soon after the bye week.

Coleman is a candidate to re-sign with the practice squad after the 49ers lost Marlon Mack off their practice squad when he signed with Denver’s active roster.

Coleman spent his first four seasons with the Falcons before signing with the 49ers as a free agent in 2019. He appeared in 22 games over two seasons before moving on to the Jets.

He has played 93 games with 37 starts in his career and has 920 touches for 4,636 yards and 38 touchdowns.

Comment

• Dolphins work out Malcolm Butler

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 25, 2022, 5:32 PM EDT

Getty Images

Veteran cornerback Malcolm Butler is getting another look in the NFL.

The Dolphins brought Butler in for a workout today, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

The Patriots put Butler on injured reserve during the preseason, which usually means a player won’t play at all that year, but they later released him with an injury settlement, meaning he’s free to sign elsewhere.

Presumably he is now medically cleared to play and looking for a team that wants to play him.

Butler hasn’t played since 2020, when he started all 16 games for the Titans. He signed with the Cardinals in 2021 but announced his retirement before the season. He then announced his un-retirement this year and signed with the Patriots.

Comment

• Jets, Jaguars officially announce James Robinson trade

Posted by Josh Alper on October 25, 2022, 3:53 PM EDT

Getty Images

Word came on Monday night that the Jaguars were trading running back James Robinson to the Jets and the deal became official on Tuesday afternoon.

The Jaguars and Jets have both announced the deal. The Jets are sending a 2023 sixth-round pick to Jacksonville and it can become a fifth-round pick. Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports that the pick will be a fifth-rounder if Robinson runs for 260 yards for the Jets this year.

That’s a number the Jets will be happy to see Robinson reach quickly. Breece Hall‘s torn ACL left a big hole in the Jets backfield because of the heavy role he’s had in their 5-2 start to the season. Michael Carter and Ty Johnson are also on hand in the backfield, but Robinson’s first two seasons showed he’s capable of leading a rushing attack.

Robinson ran 404 times for 1,837 yards and 15 touchdowns while playing 28 in his first two seasons. A torn Achilles ended his 2021 campaign and Travis Etienne‘s return to action pushed him into a smaller role in Jacksonville this year, but he’s still managed 81 carries for 340 yards and three touchdowns.

Comment

• Nah. We couldn't use that guy.

But we can throw away a better pick for a guy we cut.

Comment

• Aaron Rodgers: Packers make too many mistakes, those guys shouldn’t be playing

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 25, 2022, 3:24 PM EDT

Getty Images

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says his teammates are making too many mistakes, and those who keep screwing up should be benched.

That harsh assessment came on Rodgers’ weekly appearance with Pat McAfee, where Rodgers said the Packers’ problems go deeper than just an occasional play going wrong.

“It’s definitely not just one play here or there,” Rodgers said. “It’s 20 percent of the time. If we have 50 plays and we have 10 missed assignments or mental errors, that’s 20 percent of the time. So that’s way too high. In the past we were looking more like, less than 10 percent, so that gives us a really good chance to be successful. 20 percent, that’s way too high. That’s one play a series where you’re really making it tough on yourself. So we’ve got to fix that. I think guys who are making too many mistakes shouldn’t be playing. Gotta start cutting some reps. And maybe guys who aren’t playing, give them a chance.”

Rodgers did not name any teammates who shouldn’t be playing, but it’s likely that the players he’s referring to know who they are. It’s also likely that some teammates have noticed that Rodgers himself has made his share of mistakes during this disappointing Packers season.

Comment

• Eat that f***er

Ezekiel Elliott won’t practice Wednesday

Posted by Josh Alper on October 26, 2022, 11:50 AM EDT

Getty Images

Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott left last Sunday’s game after taking a hit to his right knee in the first half, but he returned to play in the second half of the win over the Lions.

While Elliott’s knee held up last weekend, the team is taking it easy with him to kick off the practice week. Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said that Elliott will not practice on Wednesday and that he will work with director of rehabilitation Britt Brown instead.

The fact that Elliott played through the injury suggests that Wednesday’s absence may be more about managing his workload than concern about his injury. His participation on Thursday and Friday will provide more of an idea if that’s the case.

The Cowboys will have plenty of time to rest after facing the Bears on Sunday. They have a bye in Week Nine before returning to face the Packers in Week 10.

Comment

• Let's ride... Errrr cook... Or whatever crap he's spewing at the moment...

Russell Wilson says he could play right now without any limitations: “I’m ready to rock”

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 26, 2022, 11:08 AM EDT

Getty Images

Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson indicated today that he’ll be on the field in London for Sunday’s game against the Jaguars.

Asked after today’s practice whether he could play a game right now without any limitations, Wilson answered, “Yeah. I feel great. I’m ready to rock.”

Wilson’s comments echo those of Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett, who said on Monday that Wilson is trending in the direction of playing.

After playing the first six games of the season, Wilson missed Sunday’s loss to the Jets with a hamstring injury. Brett Rypien started in Wilson’s place and the Broncos’ offense struggled — though no more than it has struggled for most of the season with Wilson at the helm.

The Broncos have their bye after the London trip, and it might be tempting to give Wilson one more week off so that he can be fully rested for the second half of the season. But from all indications, Wilson will be back on the field on Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                              Nah. We couldn't use that guy.

But we can throw away a better pick for a guy we cut.
                              It's going to be hard to make any trade. They are doing financial tricks to get Badgely on the squad full time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                                Eat that f***er

Ezekiel Elliott won’t practice Wednesday

Posted by Josh Alper on October 26, 2022, 11:50 AM EDT

Getty Images

Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott left last Sunday’s game after taking a hit to his right knee in the first half, but he returned to play in the second half of the win over the Lions.

While Elliott’s knee held up last weekend, the team is taking it easy with him to kick off the practice week. Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said that Elliott will not practice on Wednesday and that he will work with director of rehabilitation Britt Brown instead.

The fact that Elliott played through the injury suggests that Wednesday’s absence may be more about managing his workload than concern about his injury. His participation on Thursday and Friday will provide more of an idea if that’s the case.

The Cowboys will have plenty of time to rest after facing the Bears on Sunday. They have a bye in Week Nine before returning to face the Packers in Week 10.
                                Zeke is getting to the end of his career. That knee has been bothering him for a couple of years. He is still a heck of a back, but the wear and tear is catching up with him.
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X