• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
    Wink Martindale: Derrick Henry is a modern-day Jim Brown

Posted by Charean Williams on September 7, 2022, 5:55 PM EDT

Getty Images

Some consider Jim Brown the greatest running back in NFL history. Giants defensive coordinator Wink Martindale was 2 when Brown retired after the 1965 season, so he never saw the Browns running back play except on NFL Films.

But Martindale has seen Derrick Henry play in person, and he’ll see the Titans running back again Sunday, and Martindale sees Brown when he watches Henry.

“He’s a physical guy that can be one cut and go,” Martindale said, via Ed Valentine of Big Blue View. “He can be whatever he wants to be at certain times. He’s a very talented back. He’s like our modern-day Jim Brown. He’s just that much different when he has the ball. He’s a challenge every time he touches it.”

Since 2018, Henry has led the league with 1,115 attempts for 5,563 yards. After back-to-back rushing titles in 2019 and 2020, Henry was leading the league in rushing after eight games last season when he injured his foot. It took Jonathan Taylor until the 11th game to pass Henry, who didn’t return until the postseason.

The Titans expect Henry to return to his pre-injury form. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have given Henry a raise last week, making him the highest-paid running back for 2022.

“I still don’t think they gave him enough,” Martindale said.

Henry ran for 133 yards on 28 carries in the Titans’ win over Martindale’s defense in Baltimore during the 2020 regular season after Henry had 30 carries for 195 yards in an upset of the Ravens in a playoff game the previous postseason.

“Thanks for reminding me,” Martindale said sarcastically.

So, Martindale knows exactly what awaits his defense Sunday, making for a sleepless week.
    I never like the old time comparisons to Jim Brown. The modern day era guys are all multimillionaires. Brown was a badass on the field and blazed trails with more pressure from both sides of the coin to either be successful or fail.

I hate all the things that divide people in this day and age but the shit that guys like Jim Thorpe, Jim Brown, Jackie Robinson etc had to endure is nothing these guys today could make it through. Those guys were something special
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
      Possible future Detroit Lions player if the season doesn’t go well for Goff 🤔
      Stars could align for this to happen next offseason. QB need… Lions having the trade assets… the general fluidity at the QB position in recent years.

Not that I should be thinking about next year already. I hope Goff lights it up for the Lions!

Stay in the pocket and stay healthy young man
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Jackson isn't going anywhere. Even if he actually wants to, or clearly wants to, the Ravens will tag him and then tag him again. He's on a rookie contract. Even though successive tags, I believe, raise the price exponentially, that is, by a fixed multiplier, the small initial salary can allow them to withstand the exponential growth. He's a running QB, he will be worn down like Cam was. The Ravens will suck the life out of him and probably make him run it even more if they realize they have to keep tagging him. Much like what Pittsburgh did with whats-his-name at running back.
        "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
        Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• The rookie contract is a non-issue for franchise tags. 1st tag is average of the top 5 quarterback salaries. That would be something in the mid 40s. Second year would be 120 percent of that, a third year would be 144 percent That was the Kirk Cousin's plan. You would be talking 45 + 54 + 78 = 178 million. Realistically a team can use it for a quarterback and then it becomes detrimental for the team. The Redskins got cute with Cousins and got burned.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            The rookie contract is a non-issue for franchise tags. 1st tag is average of the top 5 quarterback salaries. That would be something in the mid 40s. Second year would be 120 percent of that, a third year would be 144 percent That was the Kirk Cousin's plan. You would be talking 45 + 54 + 78 = 178 million. Realistically a team can use it for a quarterback and then it becomes detrimental for the team. The Redskins got cute with Cousins and got burned.
            Yep.

If the Ravens think Jackson is the guy, they need to stop trying to be cute, hoping to pressure him into taking a "hometown discount." If they don't think he's the guy, they need to stop trying to be cute, let him walk away and move on.

Comment

• He’ll get his but those career ending injuries can always happen. I hope he avoids it because I think he’s a helluva athlete
              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                The rookie contract is a non-issue for franchise tags. 1st tag is average of the top 5 quarterback salaries. That would be something in the mid 40s. Second year would be 120 percent of that, a third year would be 144 percent That was the Kirk Cousin's plan. You would be talking 45 + 54 + 78 = 178 million. Realistically a team can use it for a quarterback and then it becomes detrimental for the team. The Redskins got cute with Cousins and got burned.
                Can't believe I forgot how the tag works. LOL. Still though, they will tag him at least once, and probably will work him to the bone and then let him hit FA when he's got nothing left.

Comment

• I’d pass on Jackson. I’d rather have a pocket passer.

Comment

• Baltimore would be silly to let him go, this is way too premature. It was a fake deadline that Jackson made, he is making a mistake by representing himself but there is plenty of time to get a deal done. Both sides have an incentive to make a deal.

In the NFL, when you have a quarterback you keep him as long as you can. I prefer traditional pocket passers and have doubts about Jackson, but the Ravens would be fools to let him go somewhere else. Getting the quarterback is the heavy lifting part. The Ravens would be wise to surround him with more than "meh" offensive skill position players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                      Baker has to be my personal leader in popcorn moments...

Baker Mayfield saying all the right things as another revenge game approaches

Posted by Charean Williams on September 7, 2022, 10:03 PM EDT

Getty Images

Baker Mayfield‘s football life has been filled with revenge games.

He returned to Texas Tech in 2016 after transferring from Oklahoma and outdueled Patrick Mahomes in a 66-59 win. A year after Ohio State won in Norman, Mayfield planted an OU flag at midfield in Columbus after a win in 2017.

In 2018, Mayfield stared down the Bengals sideline after former Browns coach Hue Jackson joined the Cincinnati staff.

“When Baker is out there, swinging (his arms), with his chest out . . . that’s what we want to see — him talking his talk, and walking his walk,” Panthers receiver Rashard Higgins, who spent four years with Mayfield in Cleveland, said, via Steve Reed of the Associated Press. “When he’s jacked up, he plays good. So I want to see it from him.”

Mayfield is jacked up all right.

He has denied telling an NFL Media reporter that he was going to “f— up” the Browns in the season opener. But his camp did begin selling T-shirts with Mayfield in a cowboy hat with the words “off the leash,” showing him breaking free of a chain on a dog collar.

Mayfield said the T-shirts had “subliminal messages” but added that he didn’t design them.

The fifth-year quarterback admits he is looking forward to “smack talking” with former teammates, but he didn’t give them any bulletin board material Wednesday.

“I’m grateful for my time in Cleveland,” Mayfield said. “I started my career there and it ended abruptly and unexpectedly, but we’re here now and everything happens for a reason. I’m rolling with the punches.”

There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that Mayfield wants to take it out on the Browns on Sunday, but it’s anyone’s guess as to what happens if he does.

Popcorn GIF by WWE
                      Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Jim Brown was not only a great player but a wonderful person. I've read that he gives both time and money back to the community. We need more athletes like him and my childhood hero, Roberto Clemente.

Comment

• I know what i’m about to say applies to the 1% of this forum who read my posts (99% scroll wheel) ——->> but this quote from Iron Lion:

He's on a rookie contract. Even though successive tags, I believe, raise the price exponentially, that is, by a fixed multiplier, the small initial salary can allow them to withstand the exponential growth.
                          (End quote)

I could live to 486 and still not understand that shit.
                          Seriously, wtf?
                          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                            I know what i’m about to say applies to the 1% of this forum who read my posts (99% scroll wheel) ——->> but this quote from Iron Lion:

He's on a rookie contract. Even though successive tags, I believe, raise the price exponentially, that is, by a fixed multiplier, the small initial salary can allow them to withstand the exponential growth.
                            (End quote)

Seriously, wtf?
                            I was incorrect. That's not how the tag works. If you are a player who is about to become a free agent, your team can use its franchise tag on you. Teams get to use one franchise tag per offseason. As a player, if tagged, you can refuse to sign, in which case you are sort of in limbo. You can't sign with another team, but you aren't under contract with your current team. You can effectively use this to sit out of training camp without repercussions and then sign the franchise tag offer at the end of training camp. Players often do this. If you sign the franchise tag offer, you're given the average of the top 5 players' salaries at your position. If a team uses a tag on the same player the next year, the price jumps up significantly.

Edit - franchise tag offers are one year contracts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                              I know what i’m about to say applies to the 1% of this forum who read my posts (99% scroll wheel) ——->> but this quote from Iron Lion:

(End quote)

Seriously, wtf?
                              Yeah that was a head scratcher.
                              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• He must be a politician-no one can say so much without saying a damm thing that makes no sense
                                Or maybe a climatologist

Comment

Working...
                                X