NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

Boy. You are out of touch. They have talent spread all over their roster of 1st and second round players. Sprinkled around high priced FAs.
    We’ll see
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Ravens To Sign RB Kenyan Drake

August 31st, 2022 at 3:19pm CST by Adam La Rose

AUGUST 31: The deal is going through. Drake will join his fourth team, with Rapoport adding the Ravens have agreed to terms with the seventh-year back (Twitter link).

AUGUST 30: With plenty of questions still surrounding their RB room, the Ravens are set to make an addition at the position. Baltimore is hosting veteran Kenyan Drake and “likely will sign him” pending a physical, per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport (Twitter link).

The 28-year-old was on the roster bubble in Vegas, leading to the recent announcement that he would either be traded or cut. Nothing materialized on the trade front, as expected, leaving Drake on the open market. His Raiders tenure lasted one season, and produced 254 rushing yards and a pair of touchdowns; he added 30 catches for 291 yards and another score across his 12 games played.

Despite his release causing $8MM in total dead cap charges, the Raiders were willing to proceed with the move. That leaves the team with Josh Jacobs in the No. 1 spot for at least one more season, as they declined his fifth-year option, and a mix of veterans and rookies behind him. Drake will enter a similarly-crowded Ravens backfield, but he should be in line for a more significant workload.

Baltimore could have lead back J.K. Dobbins on the field for the first time since 2020 as early as Week 1, but he will not handle a full starter’s workload right away. That, coupled with the absence of backup Gus Edwards for at least the first four games of the season, leaves plenty of snaps available for other options. That list includes veteran Mike Davis and sixth-round rookie Tyler Badie.

Drake will compete with those two for a role in the build-up to the regular season. At least until Dobbins and Edwards are back to full health, he should give the team a more proven pass-catching back.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Baker Mayfield: I never said I’m going to f—k Browns up

Posted by Josh Alper on August 31, 2022, 4:34 PM EDT

Getty Images

Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield will be facing his former team in Week 1 and he’s admitted that the game means something extra because of how his time with the Browns came to an end.

Mayfield denies that extra emotion led him to tell Cynthia Frelund of NFL Media that he is going to “fuck them up” in the season opener. Frelund relayed the quote during a recent podcast appearance and it drew enough attention on Tuesday that Mayfield was asked about it on Wednesday.

Mayfield said he always wants to win, but that he never said what Frelund quoted him as saying.

“First, I didn’t say it,” Mayfield said, via Joe Person of TheAthletic.com. “Obviously everybody’s going to write whatever story they want, there’s history that I played there the last four years. I’m an extremely competitive person. Everybody knows that. If I wasn’t wanting to win then there would be a really big issue with me being the quarterback here. I want to win in everything I do. That’ll never change. That is not how I phrased it. It’s not even what I said.”

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett said “we’ll take it and we’ll use it” in reference to Mayfield’s purported quote about the matchup, but one imagines there wasn’t much need for extra motivation to kick off the season with a strong performance against the former Brown.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Sure Baker.. we believe you
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Baker Mayfield “kind of shocked” by Laviska Shenault’s physical presence

Posted by Josh Alper on September 1, 2022, 8:18 AM EDT

Getty Images

Wide receiver Laviska Shenault joined the Panthers at practice on Wednesday for the first time since the Jaguars traded him to the NFC South team this week and one thing about him jumped out to his new team.

Head coach Matt Rhule said the team made the trade because they need playmakers, but pivoted to note Shenault’s size and that he “can be a really, really physical blocker” for the offense. Quarterback Baker Mayfield also focused on Shenault’s physicality when he was asked about his first impressions of the wideout.

“Honestly, I was kind of shocked,” Mayfield said, via Darin Gantt of the team’s website. “He’s a big dude. Really physical presence. He came out there, obviously, he’s learning on the fly for us right now, but I can relate to that. He did well today. He has a physical presence. Obviously his athleticism jumps off the tape. Seeing him in person is another thing. We’re happy to have him, and just see what he fits in with what he’s doing.”

Shenault said he hopes to get “in different positions” to help his new club this season and his physical presence has led to comparisons to Cordarrelle Patterson, who entered the league as a wideout but has morphed into a running back role with the Falcons. If Christian McCaffrey is healthy, running back reps may be in short supply but the more Shenault can do the more he’ll be on the field this fall.

Comment

• Ravens bring back Brent Urban, move David Ojabo to IR

Posted by Josh Alper on September 1, 2022, 6:56 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Ravens made defensive end Brent Urban one of their final cuts on Tuesday, but he wasn’t away from the team for long.

Urban re-signed with the Ravens as they shuffled their roster a day after dropping to 53 players. Urban spent the first four years of his career in Baltimore before spending the next three seasons with the Bears, Titans, and Cowboys. He returned to the Ravens as a free agent this offseason and will provide depth on the defensive line.

The Ravens also signed running back Kenyan Drake on Wednesday and they cleared roster spots by placing second-roun edge rusher David Ojabo and fourth-round tight end Charlie Kolar on injured reserve. Ojabo tore his Achilles working out ahead of the draft and Kolar is returning from sports hernia surgery. Both players will be eligible to return after missing four games.

Baltimore opened one more roster spot on Wednesday. They waived offensive lineman Tyre Phillips, who started 13 games after joining the team as a 2020 third-round pick.

Comment

• Can you believe the Ravens wasted a second-round pick on some injured dude? /shakeshead

Seriously though, damn did that injury happen at the worst time for Ojabo; because I think a somewhat compelling argument could have been made that Hutchinson wasn't even necessarily the best pass rusher on the Wolverines. Hopefully he'll be able to hit his stride quickly.

Comment

• Wk 1 opponent

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson: Everything felt natural in first Eagles practice

Posted by Josh Alper on September 1, 2022, 6:45 AM EDT

Getty Images

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson doesn’t have much time to practice with the Eagles before the start of the regular season, but he doesn’t sound concerned about that holding him back on the field.

The Eagles acquired Gardner-Johnson from the Eagles in a Tuesday trade and the team’s decision to release Anthony Harris on the same day sent a message that they see Gardner-Johnson playing a big role for them at safety. That’s a change from the nickel corner role he played in New Orleans, but Gardner-Johnson said he felt right at home after his first practice with the team.

“I’m a ballplayer,” Gardner-Johnson said, via Josh Tolentino of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “It’s just football. I’ve been playing it since I was 6 years old. I’m staying in and putting in overtime. I’m new here. I’ve got 10 days before the season starts. Coaches have been A-1. Players have been A-1. They’ve been helpful. It’s the first day of practice, and I was out there flying with the guys. I got some [first-team] reps, some [second-team] reps. Everything felt natural. It’s like I was out there playing like a kid. Having fun.”

Players like wide receiver A.J. Brown, edge rusher Haason Reddick, and cornerback James Bradberry joined the Eagles during the offseason, so the Gardner-Johnson acquisition is another sign of the Eagles going after veterans they believe will push the team further than they were able to get in losing to the Buccaneers in the first round of the playoffs last season.

per Deb: #bidsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                    Can you believe the Ravens wasted a second-round pick on some injured dude? /shakeshead

Seriously though, damn did that injury happen at the worst time for Ojabo; because I think a somewhat compelling argument could have been made that Hutchinson wasn't even necessarily the best pass rusher on the Wolverines. Hopefully he'll be able to hit his stride quickly.
                    The DT they got in the third rdTravis Jones (UCONN) was straight wreckin dudes before he got injured. He's just pushing OG and Cs back into the QB. I couldn't believe he lasted that long. He did the same thing at the Senior Bowl. HE is going to be that guy that everyone scratches their heads and say how did we miss him?

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• So is that 4 or 5 QBs?

Browns sign Josh Rosen to practice squad

Posted by Myles Simmons on September 1, 2022, 10:17 AM EDT

Getty Images

Despite claiming Kellen Mond off waivers, the Browns are keeping Josh Rosen around.

Cleveland announced the team has signed Rosen and defensive end Isaac Rochell to its practice squad.

Rosen, the 10th overall pick of the 2018 draft, joined the Browns in July. He was competing with quarterback Joshua Dobbs to be the team’s third quarterback — which is effectively the backup behind Jacoby Brissett for the first 11 games of the season given Deshaun Watson‘s suspension. Dobbs made the 53-man roster and Rosen did not.

Then the Browns claimed Kellen Mond off waivers from the Vikings. By keeping Rosen, Cleveland now has four quarterbacks currently in the building with Brissett, Dobbs, and Mond on the active roster and Rosen on the practice squad. Watson’s suspension began this week when rosters were reduced to 53 players.

Rosen started 13 games as a rookie for the Cardinals, compiling a 3-13 record as a starter. He was then traded to Miami after Arizona selected Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick of the 2019 draft and went 0-3 as a starter in 2019. Rosen appeared in four games for Atlanta last year, completing 2-of-11 passes for 19 yards with two interceptions.

Rosen has also spent time with the Buccaneers and 49ers.

Rochell was released on Wednesday as a corresponding move for the Browns claiming Mond.

Comment

• He's missing a great promotoinal opportunity with the "Whack-a-Mole" people....

Aaron Donald sponsored media appearance included effort by P.R. rep to block questions about helmet incident

Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2022, 11:18 PM EDT

Getty Images

Six days after an incident that made Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald the talk of the league, Donald didn’t want to talk about the incident.

He did a media tour on Wednesday to promote a product. It’s a simple quid pro quo. The player submits to an interview, with the understanding that he’ll get a chance to promote his product.

Usually, there’s no effort to limit the subject matter of the interview portion of the questions. Sometimes there is. Sometimes the interviewer will comply. Sometimes the interviewer will politely explain that the questions must be asked. Sometimes the interviewer will simply cancel the interview because, frankly, it’s inappropriate for anyone who is being interviewed to attempt to apply restrictions on the topics to be discussed.

Donald’s appearances included a spot with Zach Gelb of CBS Sports Radio. In a very unusual move, a P.R. person actually interrupted the segment after Gelb asked one too many questions about the helmet-swinging fracas from L.A’s joint practice with the Bengals.

Here’s the relevant excerpt.

Gelb: “What happened last week in joint practices, because we all saw the video of you swinging helmets? And people were wondering what was going on there?”

Donald: “It was just a practice. Obviously, people got phones out and things like that. But I’m not gonna sit and talk about negative stuff that happened at a practice. My main focus is Buffalo.”

Gelb: “Was there any internal punishment?”

Donald: “We talked. We talked, so. . . .”

Gelb: “Were you thinking maybe you were going to get suspended or anything?”

P.R. person: “Hey Zach, we’re just gonna focus just here because Aaron’s here today to talk about [product we have no compulsion to mention]. So you do have two minutes left, if you want to pivot to your last question please.”

Gelb then tried, to his credit, to ask one more question about the incident. He asked what sparked the fight. Donald deftly twisted it into a pitch for his product. And that was that.

It’s unfortunate. Donald ultimately faced no real accountability for engaging in inherently dangerous conduct. The league inexplicably couldn’t suspend him, and the Rams predictably wouldn’t. Then, while on a paid media tour that included the ability to interview him in exchange for giving him the opportunity to sell the product, Donald didn’t want to answer simple questions about what caused him to blow a fuse so violently and shockingly.

He should have canceled or postponed the media tour. He surely doesn’t need the money. He definitely doesn’t need the headache.

Then again, neither did the guy who had football helmet violently slammed against the football helmet he was wearing last Thursday.

Comment

• So we'll face WAS without their best RB and their best pass rusher...

Commanders preparing to start year without Brian Robinson but hope for his return later this season

Posted by Charean Williams on August 31, 2022, 6:58 PM EDT

Getty Images

Football was the last thing on anyone’s mind when Commanders running back Brian Robinson Jr. was shot twice in the right leg Sunday. But he was released from the hospital after surgery Monday and now is on the mend, prompting a question about when he might return.

The Commanders have no timeline.

They are preparing to start the season without him, while hoping he gets back at some point in 2022.

“He is tremendously blessed and fortunate to be where he is,” General Manager Martin Mayhew said Wednesday, via Stephen Whyno of The Associated Press. “Initially when you hear something like that, you worry about the guy living, and then you worry about his health long term, and then you worry about his ability to play football. And so for him to come through that situation the way that he did is a tremendous blessing.”

Robinson, 23, was on crutches at the team facility Tuesday and Wednesday.

He was expected to start at running back for the Commanders this season. Now, Antonio Gibson returns to his starting role. J.D. McKissic also is on the roster, along with Jonathan Williams.

Robinson escaped a life-threatening or a career-ending injury, with the bullets avoiding damage to ligaments or joints in his knee. But the Commanders will consider Robinson’s mental well-being as well as physical availability before returning him to the lineup, coach Ron Rivera said.

“We know he’s got a bright future, and the future doesn’t have to be immediately now,” Rivera said. “Until he’s ready to roll, we have no intention of putting him out there.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                              He's missing a great promotoinal opportunity with the "Whack-a-Mole" people....

Aaron Donald sponsored media appearance included effort by P.R. rep to block questions about helmet incident

Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2022, 11:18 PM EDT

Getty Images

Six days after an incident that made Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald the talk of the league, Donald didn’t want to talk about the incident.

He did a media tour on Wednesday to promote a product. It’s a simple quid pro quo. The player submits to an interview, with the understanding that he’ll get a chance to promote his product.

Usually, there’s no effort to limit the subject matter of the interview portion of the questions. Sometimes there is. Sometimes the interviewer will comply. Sometimes the interviewer will politely explain that the questions must be asked. Sometimes the interviewer will simply cancel the interview because, frankly, it’s inappropriate for anyone who is being interviewed to attempt to apply restrictions on the topics to be discussed.

Donald’s appearances included a spot with Zach Gelb of CBS Sports Radio. In a very unusual move, a P.R. person actually interrupted the segment after Gelb asked one too many questions about the helmet-swinging fracas from L.A’s joint practice with the Bengals.

Here’s the relevant excerpt.

Gelb: “What happened last week in joint practices, because we all saw the video of you swinging helmets? And people were wondering what was going on there?”

Donald: “It was just a practice. Obviously, people got phones out and things like that. But I’m not gonna sit and talk about negative stuff that happened at a practice. My main focus is Buffalo.”

Gelb: “Was there any internal punishment?”

Donald: “We talked. We talked, so. . . .”

Gelb: “Were you thinking maybe you were going to get suspended or anything?”

P.R. person: “Hey Zach, we’re just gonna focus just here because Aaron’s here today to talk about [product we have no compulsion to mention]. So you do have two minutes left, if you want to pivot to your last question please.”

Gelb then tried, to his credit, to ask one more question about the incident. He asked what sparked the fight. Donald deftly twisted it into a pitch for his product. And that was that.

It’s unfortunate. Donald ultimately faced no real accountability for engaging in inherently dangerous conduct. The league inexplicably couldn’t suspend him, and the Rams predictably wouldn’t. Then, while on a paid media tour that included the ability to interview him in exchange for giving him the opportunity to sell the product, Donald didn’t want to answer simple questions about what caused him to blow a fuse so violently and shockingly.

He should have canceled or postponed the media tour. He surely doesn’t need the money. He definitely doesn’t need the headache.

Then again, neither did the guy who had football helmet violently slammed against the football helmet he was wearing last Thursday.
                              I guess its OK if you rip off someone's helmet and start swinging in a scrimmage just as long as you dont do it in a game? Or is it because he is Aaron Donald that there is no punishment?

Comment

• The media is saying the NFL doesn't monitor or preside over scrimmages. That's crap though. The Bengals G started it and Donald went whack a mole crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X