NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deandre Hopkins.jpg
    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post
      Well, now I see why the Arizona Cardinals did that trade for WR Marquise Brown during the NFL Draft over the weekend.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post
        Barry Bonds?
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• There can be only one per team. Real QBs don't operate well with another...

Matt Ryan: If Falcons hadn’t pursued Deshaun Watson, “pretty good chance” I’d still be there

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 3, 2022, 11:20 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

When the offseason started, it looked like Matt Ryan was poised to stay the Falcons quarterback for at least 2022 — if not longer.

But then Atlanta elected to pursue Deshaun Watson.

That changed things for Ryan with the organization, as he detailed on the most recent episode of the Ryen Russillo podcast. While things seemed status quo at the end of the regular season, that changed in March. And that’s when Ryan requested, as he put it, the opportunity to look into his options.

“When free agency starts to pick up and they start to look into what they want to do, I kind of got filled into the loop that they were going to look into Deshaun Watson,” Ryan said. “And then at that point, I said, OK, I understand. But I also need to look into what I need to look into. And if this doesn’t go down, find out if this is probably still the best fit for me.

“And as that week went on and just kind of looked into, on my end, what might be the best possible landing spot, or what was best for myself and my family moving forward, as we did that research, to me, it became one spot. And you never know, though, in that situation whether or not that one spot is also going to feel the same way about you. And for me, fortunately, they did. And they have the belief in me and what I can bring to this team. So, from that standpoint, I think it worked out perfectly on my end.”

Obviously, Watson didn’t choose the Falcons. But Ryan still ended up a Colt. So Russillo then asked Ryan if he thought he would still be a Falcon if the organization had not aggressively pursued Watson.

“Had none of this gone down? There’s probably a chance — a pretty good chance,” Ryan said. “But it did, you know? So when it does, when the situations change and the circumstances change… You know, I had always thought, like everybody, when you’re drafted there, and you play there, this is where I’m going to play my entire career. For 14 years, every day I woke up, it was to try and help the Falcons win a championship. And that had been reciprocated on the other end for me. And so when that changed, I had to look into it.

“It’s certainly been a big change, for sure. But a good one. And so, it’s hard to say. But I think honestly, it’s more than likely I probably would’ve still been there had circumstances been different. But I’m excited with where I’m at.”

Ryan now has a chance to help lead the Colts to an AFC South title in 2022, which would be their first since 2014.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I think I think that if QBs were drafted like other positions, they all (except Pickett) would have been drafted a round earlier.

But, with QBs it isn't good to have a new shiny draftee from the first or second round. That's a good way to wake up to your current QB tweeting he wants out.

So the, "Well, just draft and develop him" thought is not a viable one in reality. It works rarely, but fails a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
              I think I think that if QBs were drafted like other positions, they all (except Pickett) would have been drafted a round earlier.

But, with QBs it isn't good to have a new shiny draftee from the first or second round. That's a good way to wake up to your current QB tweeting he wants out.

So the, "Well, just draft and develop him" thought is not a viable one in reality. It works rarely, but fails a lot.
              Which make the Jordan Love pick so baffling. Maybe I wasn't paying attention heading into the draft, but did anyone really have him as a first rounder? I get the feeling he would probably have been there for their second round pick. But that is a position where that 5th year can save you tens of millions later on. But was it worth it to upset Rodgers. That move alone could be part of the reason they are basically paying him 50 million a year instead of little over 40.

But this is a problem going back. Remember Stanton getting taken in the second, an obvious development guy. Didn't stop the fans for calling him to play even though he was no where near ready. Because that is the expectation of the fans when you get a QB high. Even if a 2nd rounder is basically on the same crappy deal all the rest of the non-first rounders. Third is when everyone really checks out (hell you can see that in the player threads here). Lots less pressure to play those guys.

Comment

• Shad Khan unloads on Urban Meyer: “How can you work with someone like that?”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 3, 2022, 2:25 PM EDT

Getty Images

At a time when Fox reportedly is close to re-employing Urban Meyer, his most recent employer is making it clear he wishes Meyer had never been employed.

“When you lose the respect, the trust and an issue of truthfulness, how can you work with someone like that?” Jaguars owner Shad Khan told Jarrett Bell of USA Today. “It’s not possible.”

The Jaguars and Khan reportedly have not reached an agreement on his buyout. The Jaguars don’t intend to pay Meyer, contending he was fired for cause.

“It was not about wins and losses,” Khan told Bell. “I think when you know someone is not truthful, how can you be around someone, OK? We had Doug Marrone here four years. We had Gus Bradley here four years. I have nothing but the utmost respect and friendship with them. That’s why they got the time, because it wasn’t a matter about respect or truth. It was a matter of wins and losses over four years. This is much bigger than that.”

Khan didn’t elaborate on the basis for his contention that Meyer wasn’t truthful. Obviously, however, something happened to cause Khan to change his mind fairly quickly about the head coach he had to hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post

Which make the Jordan Love pick so baffling. Maybe I wasn't paying attention heading into the draft, but did anyone really have him as a first rounder? I get the feeling he would probably have been there for their second round pick. But that is a position where that 5th year can save you tens of millions later on. But was it worth it to upset Rodgers. That move alone could be part of the reason they are basically paying him 50 million a year instead of little over 40.

But this is a problem going back. Remember Stanton getting taken in the second, an obvious development guy. Didn't stop the fans for calling him to play even though he was no where near ready. Because that is the expectation of the fans when you get a QB high. Even if a 2nd rounder is basically on the same crappy deal all the rest of the non-first rounders. Third is when everyone really checks out (hell you can see that in the player threads here). Lots less pressure to play those guys.
                  Yeah. On all that/

But Jordan Love was (i believe) on the Lions Senior bowl team that year and he did not look good. But just like now, he got propped up. And GB took the cheese. Good. We'll get a brand new franchise QB before they do. They have to go through Rodgers last years and then hope Love has learned something. Meanwhile, we are (somewhat) free to find and suit up our guy after this year.

But you are exactly right. if they picked someone now, we'd be sorting through that guy for 3 -5 years. No thanks

Comment

• My goodness. This just can't be true....

Bart Scott: NFL teams need tough guys, Ravens always had a couple players with felonies

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2022, 4:10 PM EDT

Getty Images

Former Ravens linebacker Bart Scott says that NFL teams need players with off-field character issues if they want to be tough, and he used his own former team as a prime example.

Scott, working the NFL draft on ESPN Radio, applauded the Packers for drafting Devonte Wyatt even though he was charged in 2020 with misdemeanor criminal trespass for allegedly kicking the door of a woman he had lived with.

They need to get tough up the middle,” Scott said, via Ryan Glasspiegel of the New York Post. “I know Wyatt may have some off-the-field issues, but you have to get some tough guys. Everybody can’t be choir boys. When I was with the Ravens, we had to make sure that we had at least two people on the team with a couple felonies, just to make sure our street cred was right, when we had to go into these back alleys and have some of these dog fights.”

Scott said he loved the Ravens’ bad reputation, noting that his Baltimore teammates Ray Lewis (who wore No. 52) and Jamal Lewis (who wore No. 31) both pleaded guilty to crimes during their Ravens careers, while Terrell Suggs was charged with felony aggravated assault, although he was later acquitted.

“Listen: The funniest sign I’ve ever seen in my life was ’52 + 31 = 10 to 20.’ It was Ray Lewis plus Jamal Lewis equals 10 to 20 in prison,” Scott said. “Terrell Suggs beat a dude with a stop sign coming out of Arizona State.”

Scott provided an interesting perspective, although one the Ravens and the NFL probably would have preferred to keep off the draft broadcast.

Comment

• CFL players move toward a strike

Posted by Mike Florio on May 12, 2022, 11:51 AM EDT

Getty Images

The CFL easily become overlooked in the broader world of pro football. It’s currently poised to make headlines for reasons other than its games.

The CFL Players Association has informed its members that six of the nine teams will be able to commence a strike on Sunday, March 15.

“Today, the CFL tabled a new offer which addressed a number of our key issues,” the union advised its players on Wednesday. “Unfortunately, our expectations on these issues have not been satisfied, and our committee does not believe that our key issues have been sufficiently resolved at this time. We need to negotiate further with the CFL on these critical issues to meet the standards and expectations of our membership.

“In order to do that, we need time and a united membership.

“We have planned a work stoppage, if required, that will satisfy labour laws in each club’s respective province. It is in our best interest as a Union for our members to travel to their individual club’s training facilities to be in a position to execute a legal strike. Six of our nine teams (BC, Sask, MB, Ont) will be able to strike beginning at 12:01 AM on Sunday, May 15th.

“If a new collective agreement cannot be negotiated within a reasonable time following our work stoppage, the CFLPA will ensure that no player is stranded, and we are committing to pay for players’ flights or drives home, where they may remain until an agreement is reached.”

Issues include length of labor deal, revenue sharing that would result in an annual increase in the salary cap, guaranteed contracts, and increased minimum salaries.

The strike won’t affect the entire CFL due to the laws of the different provinces in Canada. In Quebec, for example, a strike is complicated by the fact that the players must be at training camp for at least a week, before striking.

Comment

• Wow CFL, both the teams and players, need to be careful with this. Hard to imagine they can sustain a work stoppage. I hope they can all reach an agreement properly.

Found this tidbit online.

The Canadian Football League, on the other hand, can’t use playing in empty stadiums as a fallback plan. Unlike NFL teams, which reap vast windfalls from the league’s billion-dollar television contracts, CFL teams receive a comparatively modest $5.6 million Canadian (a little more than $4 million U.S.) per year from the league’s domestic television deal with broadcasters TSN and RDS. Instead, they are heavily reliant on ticket sales. In 2018, according to the Toronto Sun, the league’s three publicly owned “community teams” — the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Edmonton Eskimos — collected between 45 percent and 55 percent of their revenue from gate receipts and game-day concessions for an operating profit of between $1.4 million and $2.6 million.
                        These teams are not swimming in money.

Comment

• Yikes!!!

There's other differences that the Rock illuminated on with his TV show, Young Rock.

Comment

• Browns agree to terms with David Bell

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 12, 2022, 2:09 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Browns have gotten one of their draft picks under contract.

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Cleveland has agreed to terms with third-round receiver David Bell on his four-year rookie contract.

Bell was the 99th overall pick of the 2022 draft out of Purdue. He has the opportunity to play a significant role in Cleveland’s offense alongside receivers Amari Cooper, Anthony Schwartz, and Donovan Peoples-Jones.

Bell was the Big Ten’s receiver of the year in 2021 after recording 93 receptions for 1,286 yards with six touchdowns in 11 games.

Comment

• NFL reveals opener that could be a Super Bowl preview

The schedule is coming out......

Oh My God Omg GIF
                              Last edited by dpatnod; May 12, 2022, 06:57 PM.
                              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• The Lions have zero prime time games this season

The fucking packers have 6
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X