No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, and he's from Detroit so that could go either way in his feelings of playing here. Some people want to play at home and some want no part of that.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Being invested in Goff is a fool’s errand. Give him a year to see what he can do, sure. But be ready to cut bait and I mean quick.

A JAG paid like a star isn’t how I want to be rebuilding.

Comment

• You can't "give him a year to see what he can do" without giving him something to work with. I'm not a believer in Goff particularly, but he had no shot for large parts of last season because of the crap they were rolling out at WR. Amon-Ra is a nice piece, but he's just that, a piece.

Comment

• Goff has only been a Jag during his rookie year and for a small window of a depleted skeleton crew this year. He's always been above average.

Take out those 5 shit games between Ragnow and Cephus going down and Reynolds and Decker coming in. Then average the other 9 games in which he actually had time to throw over the course of 17 games. He'd have 4223 yards, 34 TD's and 6 INT's. Those aren't JAG numbers. They are top 10. With what even during those healthy times would be considered a well below average receiving corps. That's what he's been most of his career with the caveat of turning the ball over to much. Stafford had the same issue until the same age. The Question is if the turnover rate in those 9 games is here to stay. If it is he'll be solid. If not he'll still be a step ahead of half the league.

That's not someone you aim to be cutting bait with. If the opportunity arises for something better? Go for it. If you wind up in position to get a rookie with potential, take em and let them compete. Forcing it can very easily get you something far worse. Focusing on the bad makes you overlook the good. That's the Stafford hater playbook and yet many of you apply it blindly to Goff.
          Last edited by JGSpartan; February 18, 2022, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Stafford isn’t Goff and Goff isn’t Stafford. That’s why the Rams have the Lombardi and we got the younger guy with two firsts and a third.

Rebuilding around an inferior QB on more money isn’t how I want to go about things. Goff was bad the season before last in LA and has had one good year in his career

Could he take a jump? It’s possible and I’d give him pieces but he is not a guy I’m invested in for more than another season unless he plays lights out. Just good enough/serviceable isn’t good enough for his salary.

Comment

• When Stafford won the Super Bowl it meant another pocket.oasser that won the Super Bowl.

Comment

• When I heard rebuild I assumed it would be around a rookie QB on a rookie deal with Goff as the (expensive) bridge. I’d have to see a lot from Goff to make me think he’s the center piece.

It could still go that way but I don’t want to drag the Goff era on longer than it has to be unless we get a sea change. But he should get an audition.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
                  Goff has only been a Jag during his rookie year and for a small window of a depleted skeleton crew this year. He's always been above average.

Take out those 5 shit games between Ragnow and Cephus going down and Reynolds and Decker coming in. Then average the other 9 games in which he actually had time to throw over the course of 17 games. He'd have 4223 yards, 34 TD's and 6 INT's. Those aren't JAG numbers. They are top 10. With what even during those healthy times would be considered a well below average receiving corps. That's what he's been most of his career with the caveat of turning the ball over to much. Stafford had the same issue until the same age. The Question is if the turnover rate in those 9 games is here to stay. If it is he'll be solid. If not he'll still be a step ahead of half the league.

That's not someone you aim to be cutting bait with. If the opportunity arises for something better? Go for it. If you wind up in position to get a rookie with potential, take em and let them compete. Forcing it can very easily get you something far worse. Focusing on the bad makes you overlook the good. That's the Stafford hater playbook and yet many of you apply it blindly to Goff.
                  And overly focusing on 1 position. As important as QBs are, they can't shine without a team.

Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                  Stafford isn’t Goff and Goff isn’t Stafford. That’s why the Rams have the Lombardi and we got the younger guy with two firsts and a third.

Rebuilding around an inferior QB on more money isn’t how I want to go about things. Goff was bad the season before last in LA and has had one good year in his career

Could he take a jump? It’s possible and I’d give him pieces but he is not a guy I’m invested in for more than another season unless he plays lights out. Just good enough/serviceable isn’t good enough for his salary.
                  Fallacy of the Hero Ball Syndrome

How about we build a team so good Trent Dilfer or Rob Johnson could win with?

We can do this in the next 16 months. IF Goff shows to be lacking, we can go get someone.

One sure way to screw all this up is reaching and rushing.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• TLL, I'm saying this as a friend because you seem to be a good dude, but, you are giving off the same energy as the DWTs of the world. You can't get what you want so you are punishing us for it. If Goff isn't good enough, it will play out.

Comment

• It’s not about the QB being a hero - you have to build a team AND find a QB, preferably a rookie QB. That’s what Buffalo, KC (to some extent - maybe more imbalanced) and Cinci have done.

The Dilfer system QB/game manager model is in my opinion outdated in the NFL. More likely is that you join the tier of teams that have a good core but no quarterback and are on the carousel. The closest were the Niners who have just dumped their Goffesque QB to the trade block, because they don’t believe he’s a guy who’s going to take them over the top due to his limitations.

I’m fine with Goff as a bridge but conning yourselves that a meh guy on a huge contract for anything longer (unless he balls out) is also a route to failure​​​​​​.

Comment

• If you study the teams that made the playoffs and how they did a rebuild, when they did a rebuild and how they did it. Every situation is unique and most didn't do a total rebuild with with a rookie quarterback from the ground floor. The rookie quarterback salary slot story is the most overplayed media hype there is. If you are going to be a perennial contender, you are going to be paying a shit ton to your quarterback.

The most important attribute the Lions need to have is flexibility. They can't make one of these available quarterbacks better than they are because someone wrote a Ringer article on rookie salary cap quarterbacks.

Comment

• Joe Burrow was a game manager in these playoffs. He may go on to be the greatest player of all time, but he was not dynamic in these playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            If you study the teams that made the playoffs and how they did a rebuild, when they did a rebuild and how they did it. Every situation is unique and most didn't do a total rebuild with with a rookie quarterback from the ground floor. The rookie quarterback salary slot story is the most overplayed media hype there is. If you are going to be a perennial contender, you are going to be paying a shit ton to your quarterback.

The most important attribute the Lions need to have is flexibility. They can't make one of these available quarterbacks better than they are because someone wrote a Ringer article on rookie salary cap quarterbacks.
                            I don’t mind paying THE guy a lot of money for the QB position. I mind paying A guy a lot of money.

Goff was given that contract after the Super Bowl run and hasn’t played up to it since. That’s why he’s here in the first place.

Ideally this would have been sorted out already as I don’t really want a rookie QB to be starting in year 3 when it should be a post season target. It’s possible that Goff turns it around but just good enough isn’t going to get us where we want to go.

Comment

• Yes we realize you know his contract details as you have told us many, many times.
                              Last edited by froot loops; February 21, 2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Look at superbowl winning QB's over the last decade or so. Mostly all vets and only a few with their original team. Panicking over Goff's contract is ridiculously pointless. If they won't be able to draft for a QB they desire there will surely be someone being moved. If they were ready to win now and he sucked it would be in issue. He'll be easily moved on from if necessary. They aren't ready to win though and he for the most part hasn't sucked other than one small stretch. Stafford played just as bad as Goff did when they were depleted after Tate got moved, and Marvin Jones and Kerryon got hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X