NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then Kitna should be on the table. Lol

I hope they do hire McCown. It would be fascinating to see how bad it could get.

Comment

• I want the Texans to hire McCown for entertainment purposes. Not surprising McCown is a finalist considering Jack Easterby’s influence on the organization.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The Giants released their response to the suit….it’s pretty comprehensive. They released interview schedules, itineraries, and notes from internal meetings. The nuggets:

that Daboll hadn’t interviewed in person yet when Flores was in (and that nobody gets hired before an in-person interview).

The biggest problem is that his beef with the Giants seems to center around the belief that Bill Belichek is the shot-caller in the Giants hiring process. This is not only bizarre but difficult to prove. Belichek is about to be under a microscope because all of Flores’ claims about NY seems to filter through him.
        Last edited by Nick Pappageorgio; February 4, 2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Bill Belichick gave his assistant, Joe Judge rave reviews, which played a key role in the Giants' decision to hire the 38-year-old as their head coach on Tuesday.

Comment

• It seems like a pretty big leap from “reference from a former employer” to “(any type of) control over hiring process”.

That’s a pretty hard-sell. I wish Mr. Flores’ attorney luck with that one.

Comment

• The case is trying.to be a class action suit. So it isn't just about Flores. It must be coincidence the Giants keep on going after Belichick men. I wish they would have won out over the Lions for Patricia. Anybody claiming NFL teams hire the best available candidate have to ignore the Patricia hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

My grandmother was a 1/4 but didn’t look it. Her mom being a half really resembled the Native American heritage. She was really pretty
                I'm 1/8 th. One of my Dad's brother looks just like the "Big Chief" logo. Uncle Fuzz died a few years ago.
                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Absolutely. Tanking is one thing but paying a coach to lose
                  is a different story.
                  Tanking is done at the GM level. IR, IR IR. The year that netted them Okudah, Quinn was IR'ing almost anyone of true worth. The key was IRing MS.

No coach or player should ever try and lose. How do you, as a coach or player, pull yourself out of that? I can see losing because you don't have enough thorough breds. But, incentivizing loses to your coach? I would not had believed it if it was not being reported by an ex-coach.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

A solution would be to do away with the Rooney Rule. It clearly causes hard feelings - and why wouldn't it. People are getting interviewed who are not in the running for the job. Why is having a black coach different than having a black left tackle? Just hire the best person for the job. Next thing you know, the NFL will be requiring all teams to spend at least one draft pick on a black female so they can address the gender and race inequities at the same time. Quotas never work.
                    Over the last couple of days I've heard this from a few people. May I say that there's an insinuation that these black coaches aren't qualified? To that I would say you are wrong. If Josh McClown can be a candidate, there's a low bar.

Next thing you know, the NFL will be requiring all teams to spend at least one draft pick on a black female so they can address the gender and race inequities at the same time.
                    But hey, I'm sure true Patriots will jump on that bandwagon with you. The lowly black people are always stirring things up and making up these fantasy bad stories right?

The problem is the owners seem to feel more comfortable with white coaches. But that's discrimination. The league tried to implement the Rooney rule to force them to at least sit down and get to know black coaches. But now we are finding out that they've been making these hires before they even talk to all the candidates.

Comment

• I'm going to dismiss myself from that discussion. I can't just say it's ok and I don't want to fight.

Comment

• Jaguars announce hiring of Doug Pederson as head coach

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 3, 2022, 11:35 PM EST

Getty Images

The Jacksonville Jaguars have officially announced the hiring of Doug Pederson as their newest head coach.

Pederson joins the Jaguars after a five-year run as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles that included a Super Bowl title in 2017. Pederson did not coach last season and is replacing Urban Meyer in the position with the Jaguars.

“Doug Pederson four years ago won a Super Bowl as head coach of a franchise in pursuit of its first world championship. I hope Doug can replicate that magic here in Jacksonville,” Jaguars owner Shad Khan said in a statement. “But what is certain is his proven leadership and experience as a winning head coach in the National Football League. It’s exactly what out players deserve. Nothing less. Combine this with his acumen on the offensive side of the ball, and you have why I am proud to name Doug Pederson the new head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. I know our fans will warmly welcome Doug and his family to Duval and I personally look forward to having Doug as part of everything we envision for the team, downtown and community in the years ahead.”

Pederson’s top task in Jacksonville will be making Trevor Lawrence successful. Last year’s No. 1 pick had a shaky first campaign with the Jaguars as Meyer imploded in his leadership of the team, leading to a mid-season dismissal. Lawrence threw just 12 touchdowns with a league-high 17 interceptions as the Jaguars managed only a 3-14 record.

Pederson managed to win a Super Bowl in Philadelphia with a backup quarterback in Nick Foles taking over seamlessly for an injured and previously thriving Carson Wentz during the 2017 season. While his tenure with the Eagles didn’t end on a high note, Pederson’s track record with quarterbacks would have been among his top selling points to the Jaguars.

The Jaguars have another No. 1 overall pick this spring to help bolster the talent lever around Lawrence as well.

“Let’s get to work💪🏼 – Welcome to #DUUUVAL ! Great days ahead,” Lawrence wrote on his Twitter account Thursday night.

Comment

• It's clear the Rooney Rule has flaws and they have been exposed time and time again, but if you think sham interviews would cease if they got rid of them, I have a bridge to sell you. This forum has existed previous to the Rooney Rule. Back then Tony Dungy wasn't even getting interviews for jobs for like three hiring cycles when he was thought to be a clear top candidate. Back then the same old canard about hiring the best available candidate was tossed around in here. Somehow guys like Rich Kotite we're more qualified. He got hired by the Bucs and had a good career there, they instituted the rule after he was fired by the Bucs to hire Good Old Boy Jon Gruden. The one success story I can remember about the rule was it got Marvin Lewis hired, he was going throught the same thing where he was clearly a top candidate and kept getting passed over. Cincy brought him in for an interview and he won them over and had a good career with the Bengals.
                          Last edited by froot loops; February 4, 2022, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            It's clear the Rooney Rule has flaws and they have been exposed time and time again, but if you think sham interviews would cease if they got rid of them, I have a bridge to sell you.
                            If you think forcing teams to interview a black candidate would put an end to the good ol boy system of hiring coaches, I have a bridge to sell you.

The Rooney Rule is just virtue signaling, and like all virtue signaling it makes the corrupt system feel better about itself without actually solving anything. Defending it is defending the good ol boy system. If the NFL wants to break the good ol boy hiring system, they need to do something that has real teeth. Don't let them get away with stupid virtue signaling rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post

If you think forcing teams to interview a black candidate would put an end to the good ol boy system of hiring coaches, I have a bridge to sell you.

The Rooney Rule is just virtue signaling, and like all virtue signaling it makes the corrupt system feel better about itself without actually solving anything. Defending it is defending the good ol boy system. If the NFL wants to break the good ol boy hiring system, they need to do something that has real teeth. Don't let them get away with stupid virtue signaling rules.
                              I was replying to the idea that DaGeezer proposed as a solution. He said the solution would be to remove the rule and let the best man qualified to get the job be hired. Left to their own devices I think theowners would go back to only white guys getting interviewed, but I think they would still do sham interviews to try and avoid the PR fiasco.

Comment

• Any kind of rule is and should be a temporary solution aimed at leveling the playing field and then going away. I think the compensatory picks for hires is much better than the Rooney rule. Not saying the intent is bad. Just that, in practice, it doesn't do what you want it to do.

The compensatory picks will incentivize teams to hire more minority assistants and it won't happen overnight but the hope would be that eventually teams will start to look really stupid for passing on guys when the team that gives them a go succeeds. Nothing is perfect though and it will need to evaluated and adjusted or scrapped. The lack of faith in the Rooney rule isn't new though. That's why this exists in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X