NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    Yeah... funny enough people would rather not see players taking frontier justice for any perceived slight.

The current taunting rules are definitely dumb, but the idea of "just let players police their own behavior" justifiably has gone the way of the dodo.
    Lets this shit go unchecked (because the players and coaches used to check it before) and that is exactly where it will return to.
    History will repeat itself, and the players are too stupid to realize it. Hey, look at me fronting the other team - lol.
    As far as the dodo - if that shit would have happened 30-40 years ago with Fields (the blind side hit on the QB 2 strides after he threw it) the OT and the rest of the team would have dogpiled that guy - penalties be damned. You protect your teammates.
    Last edited by Fraquar; November 10, 2021, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• A mean spirited clothesline from a player in the 50s probably gives you a concussion.

A mean spirited clothesline from a modern player could paralyze you. The game and players have changed considerably, grandpa.

Comment

• I think Nikola Jokic is going to get deservedly suspended but I doubt Markieff Morris will think twice before gooning it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          I think Nikola Jokic is going to get deservedly suspended but I doubt Markieff Morris will think twice before gooning it up.
          Yeah, he'll think "Mission Accomplished" and go right back to his bullshit.

These sort of professional trolls know EXACTLY what they're doing. They accept they're going to occasionally get retaliation, and it is NO deterrent as a result. It's literally the consequences of the job they're being paid for. What would be a deterrent is to start losing a significant number of paychecks for their instigation. If Morris was suspended an increasing number of games every time he was caught on video targeting someone (for example, he was actually targeting Jokic's knee), he'd eventually get the message to stop doing it.

But of course, we're talking about "frontier justice" and not the fact that Markiff Morris tried to end a dude's season.
          Last edited by chemiclord; November 10, 2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• The USFL and the Michigan Panthers are back, starting Spring.

Comment

• Will they again be champions before the Lions win a playoff game?
              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• People will never stop trying.to.make.spring football work. It's a doomed idea but suckers are always in supply.

Comment

• Why do you think that is? I was watching the XFL every week - surely there’s a percent of football junkies that just want more?

Comment

• There is a percent that wants more but it has to be enough for them to make money, it typically isn't. Still a spring league has a better chance imo. TV wise there's probably more interest during the NFL season but it's also likely more difficult to sell tickets when competing with College and pro football. If you play on weekdays to avoid TV competition it further complicates ticket sales with work/school.

I was born in 85 so I'm not old enough to know firsthand but I was under the impression the USFL was doing fine as a spring league until idiot owners like Trump decided they needed to directly compete with the NFL instead. I read they blew their load on a lawsuit against the NFL and won 3 bucks.

Comment

• Some people will watch but not enough to justify the costs of a new league. To create a new league you need deep pocketed owners to eat the costs of a league for at least a.decade maybe more.

By the time tne Super Bowl has come around people.have had their fill of football. College and the NFL is enough. Basketball, hockey and baseball start to heat up.

Comment

• When the Michigan Panthers were around, they had a sizable audience. I went to at least one game their inagural year. It was cool that they won the first championship. But when they dissolved after the second season they were quickly forgotten about.

Comment

• Maybe my memory is off. It was a long time ago, and I was a kid.....

But it seems the USFL had better talent than the other leagues that have been attempted, like the XFL. At least that's how I remember it. Or am I biased because of AC? NFL quality players going into the USFL right out of college. I don't recall that with any of the other leagues.
                          Lions Fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                            Maybe my memory is off. It was a long time ago, and I was a kid.....

But it seems the USFL had better talent than the other leagues that have been attempted, like the XFL. At least that's how I remember it. Or am I biased because of AC? NFL quality players going into the USFL right out of college. I don't recall that with any of the other leagues.
                            Your memory isn't wrong at all.

They had people like Anthony Carter, Bobby Hebert, Pro Football Hall Of Famers Steve Young, Reggie White and Jim Kelly played in the USFL. Also, Marv Levy and Bill Polian worked in the USFL.

A quick wiki article here:
                            Last edited by whatever_gong82; November 22, 2021, 08:24 PM.
                            "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                            My friend Ken L

Comment

• I'm sure the new USFL will be more like all the other leagues they've tried. I mean, no way you could convince players to choose that route over the NFL today, right? NO way you could get that kind of buy-in. There will not be another AFL. There is just no competing with the NFL.
                              Lions Fans.

Comment

• Well the NFL was still the big dog at that time but it wasn't the Juggernaut it is today. Competition with the NFL would be a looooonng term goal. Starting off your hope would be to have undrafted players balling out earning NFL jobs or vets getting another chance to prove it and doing so. If you aren't an official or unofficial NFL talent breeding ground most won't care. Don't think the NFL is interested either in an official capacity. Long term success could change that.
                                Last edited by JGSpartan; November 23, 2021, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X