No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NE is just making room for this guy...

JAHLANI TAVAILB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
    Lions waived LB Jahlani Tavai.

The Lions are pulling the plug on their 2019 second round draft pick out of Hawaii. Tavai, 24, missed the the end of the 2019 season with the same shoulder injury that cost him his senior season at Hawaii. He started ten games in 2020 and was expected to see more playing time this year with Jarrad Davis gone. He's a good bet to take on a rotational role with another team.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Would be funny if Tavai turns into KVN 2.0. I doubt it because KVN was actually great in college and worthy of a 2nd RD pick... and KVN has actual talent.
      It would still be funny to see. Quinn is in Cleveland. Patricia is in New England. Go claim your guy... Mr. Tavai!

Cam Newton being released is surprising. No doubt Newton would stay if he was vaccinated. The NFL COVID protocol is too much of a hassle to deal with ... why involve that with your QB.
      While it can't be confirmed, there are some that believe this is part of the reason why Mike Ford was released by the Lions.

I think Mac Jones will easily have the best season of the rookie QBs. The team around him is set. All they need is Jones to manage the game. They will run the heck out of the ball with Harris and the other RBs.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• CAM NEWTONQB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Patriots released QB Cam Newton.

The Mac Jones era begins in New England after the team's shocking release of Newton, who drew continuous praise from head coach Bill Belichick during his stint with the team. The Patriots reportedly didn't try to trade Newton before his release. The unvaccinated Newton missed a critical week of joint practices after a COVID-19 testing mixup prevented him from entering the team facility. Jones then took all the Pats' first-team reps and perhaps established himself as the unquestioned starter. Jones will head into the regular season without the threat of Newton taking goal line carries -- a boon for Jones, Damien Harris, and the rest of the team's skill position players. The Boston Globe's Ben Volin said releasing Newton "was the only way to make this Mac Jones' team and give him the space he needs to become the leader." Jones profiles as a decent pick in superflex formats but only as a floor option in a New England offense determined to play bully ball this season. After years of passing struggles, it's fair to question whether Newton, 32, is done as an NFL starter.

... See More
        RELATED:
        SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
        Aug 31, 2021, 10:08 AM

Lions should claim him. Can't be worse then Blough/Boyle
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• That probably should have been obvious to players. If the job is open and competition is close then teams are absolutely gonna pick the vaccinated players

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
            CAM NEWTONQB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Patriots released QB Cam Newton.

The Mac Jones era begins in New England after the team's shocking release of Newton, who drew continuous praise from head coach Bill Belichick during his stint with the team. The Patriots reportedly didn't try to trade Newton before his release. The unvaccinated Newton missed a critical week of joint practices after a COVID-19 testing mixup prevented him from entering the team facility. Jones then took all the Pats' first-team reps and perhaps established himself as the unquestioned starter. Jones will head into the regular season without the threat of Newton taking goal line carries -- a boon for Jones, Damien Harris, and the rest of the team's skill position players. The Boston Globe's Ben Volin said releasing Newton "was the only way to make this Mac Jones' team and give him the space he needs to become the leader." Jones profiles as a decent pick in superflex formats but only as a floor option in a New England offense determined to play bully ball this season. After years of passing struggles, it's fair to question whether Newton, 32, is done as an NFL starter.

... See More
            RELATED:
            SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
            Aug 31, 2021, 10:08 AM

Lions should claim him. Can't be worse then Blough/Boyle
            I don't see him being a good backup with how self-important he is but I could be wrong.

Comment

• WAS should take a flier on him. Fitz magic wears off after a point of the season.

Comment

• Maybe Cam Newton just isn’t good anymore. Even if he were vaccinated he could have still got COVID and missed time from the team.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• True. He looked terrible last season. I've never been the biggest Cam fan so, meh.

Although he did open the door by not being so. He got Pipped

Comment

• Browns Expected To Add QB Nick Mullens

August 31st, 2021 at 11:21am CST by Sam Robinson

Nick Mullens will not be without a team for long. The Browns are expected to sign the veteran backup quarterback, Mike Garafolo of NFL.com tweets.

This will be a practice squad addition, per Garafolo. Teams cannot officially set their practice squads until after today’s 3pm CT roster-finalization deadline, but Mullens is on track to have a gig in Cleveland soon.

Upon trading for Gardner Minshew late last week, the Eagles cut Mullens. The former San Francisco backup had made his way back from elbow surgery. After failing to solidify a job in Philadelphia, Mullens looks set to be Cleveland’s de facto third-string quarterback behind Baker Mayfield and Case Keenum. The Browns waived Kyle Lauletta on Monday.

A 2017 UDFA who spent time on the 49ers’ practice squad in 2017 and ’18, Mullens started eight games during the 2018 and ’20 seasons. He fared well for the 2018 team in Jimmy Garoppolo‘s absence, throwing 13 touchdown passes and averaging 8.3 yards per attempt, and had moments last season — prior to the elbow malady ending his slate early.

Comment

• Make note FF players. You may be able to add him a lot later in drafts. You'll have to wait 6 weeks for him to play, but if he can return to his usual self you will get second round production for a 4th-5th ADP (if that).

Michael Thomas Expected To Start Season On Saints’ PUP List
                      August 31st, 2021 at 11:04am CST by Sam Robinson

Michael Thomas‘ foot injury will sideline him for nearly eight more weeks. The Saints are expected to stash their All-Pro wide receiver on the reserve/PUP list, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets.

The sixth-year standout underwent surgery later than the Saints wanted, causing a rift between the parties. While Thomas and Sean Payton are believed to be on better terms, the Saints will still be in line to play their first five games without their top wide receiver. Thomas must miss the first six weeks, but the Saints have a Week 6 bye. This could allow Thomas to play in New Orleans’ final 12 games.

New Orleans is transitioning to a new quarterback for the first time in 15 years, moving from Drew Brees to Jameis Winston. After the team rostered Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders last year, Winston will not have the same weapons Brees did. That said, Thomas missed much of the 2020 slate due to injuries and a one-game suspension. His stock has dipped a bit after posting back-to-back first-team All-Pro seasons and setting the NFL’s single-season reception record (149) in 2019.

In addition to Thomas’ absence, the Saints were without Tre’Quan Smith for a chunk of training camp. While Marquez Callaway has played well and stands to be a key target for Winston, the Sanders release and Thomas’ surgery decision will leave the Saints more vulnerable at wideout than they have been going into a season in many years.

Comment

• Unite the bros in Mo!!!

Packers To Waive WR Equanimeous St. Brown

August 31st, 2021 at 11:00am CST by Sam Robinson

The Packers made some notable additions at wide receiver this offseason, and a second notable holdover did not make the cut. Green Bay will waive Equanimeous St. Brown, per Tom Pelissero of NFL.com (on Twitter).

A 2018 sixth-round pick, St. Brown has battled injuries as a pro but served as one of Aaron Rodgers‘ auxiliary options at points during the 2018 and ’20 seasons. This move follows the Pack’s decision to reach an injury settlement with Devin Funchess, removing him from the team’s 2021 equation.

Green Bay used a third-round pick on Amari Rodgers and then, at Rodgers’ request, reacquired Randall Cobb via trade. These two will work with Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Allen Lazard on a suddenly deep Packers receiving corps.

St. Brown missed all of the 2019 season due to injury but returned to play in 12 games last year. For his career, production has been largely elusive. The Notre Dame product and elder of the NFL’s two St. Browns has just 28 receptions for 445 yards and a touchdown as a pro.

Comment

• Sign him up and milk him for info:

49ers To Release WR Travis Benjamin

August 31st, 2021 at 2:10pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg

Another familiar veteran has found himself on the chopping block. The 49ers are cutting receiver Travis Benjamin, a source told veteran NFL reporter Josina Anderson (Twitter link).

Benjamin sustained a concussion during the team’s preseason finale, Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News tweets, so maybe that had something to do with the decision. After Richie James Jr went down with a knee injury, the initial thought from many was that Benjamin would be in line to take over as punt returner, potentially saving him from being a cutdown casualty.

Apparently not so, as Kyle Shanahan has other plans for the team’s return game. A fourth-round pick out of Miami in 2012, Benjamin began his career with the Browns. He had a breakout 2015 campaign when he racked up 966 yards and five touchdowns. After his rookie deal ran out, he earned a four-year $24MM deal from the Chargers.

He put up some decent numbers in his first two years with the Chargers, but fell off after that. Benjamin signed a one-year deal with the 49ers last offseason, but opted out of the 2020 campaign. He does have a solid history with punt returns, with four career return touchdowns on 109 tries.

Comment

• Jaguars Cut WR Phillip Dorsett

August 31st, 2021 at 2:02pm CST by Zachary Links

The Jaguars are releasing Phillip Dorsett (Twitter link via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com). As a vested veteran, the wide receiver will be free to sign with any club.

The ex-Patriots receiver made two trips to the Super Bowl (including a victory in Super Bowl LIII) during his time in New England. However, he struggled to climb the depth chart, as he hauled in only 73 total receptions for 881 yards and eight touchdowns in 45 games for the Patriots. Last spring, he hooked on with the Seahawks, but lost the year to injury. The Jaguars picked him this past spring, but he couldn’t crack the WR depth chart.

To date, 2016 stands as Dorsett’s most productive year. In 15 games with a career-high 7 starts, Dorsett caught 33 receptions for 528 yards and a pair of touchdowns with the Colts. He’ll look for work as the Jags move forward with D.J. Chark, Marvin Jones, and Laviska Shenault as their top WRs.

Comment

• He showed to be better then our backups Friday. Why not?

Colts To Cut Brett Hundley

August 31st, 2021 at 1:30pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg

The Colts clearly aren’t too concerned about Carson Wentz‘s foot, or his vaccination status. Indianapolis is waiving fellow quarterback Brett Hundley, a source told Jim Ayello of the Indianapolis Star (Twitter link)

The move comes even after sixth-round rookie Sam Ehlinger suffered a knee injury that will sideline him for at least the early part of the season, so they must really not be concerned. It also suggests the team is pretty comfortable with 2020 fourth-round pick Jacob Eason, since he’ll be the only other healthy quarterback behind Wentz on the initial 53-man roster.

This suggests that Wentz’s foot will be all healed up and ready to go by Week 1. After Wentz’s injury originally had a harsher prognosis, the team signed Hundley just to give them some semblance of a veteran presence. A fifth-round pick of the Packers out of UCLA back in 2015, Hundley had some serious buzz around him for a while after some strong preseason performances.

But when he was forced to start nine games in 2017 in place of an injured Aaron Rodgers, he fell flat on his face, ruining his stock. He spent the past few seasons as a backup with the Seahawks and Cardinals. Considering he was unsigned until the last day of July, his phone won’t be ringing off the hook now that he’s a free agent again.

Comment

• Raiders Cut Karl Joseph

August 31st, 2021 at 2:16pm CST by Zachary Links

The Raiders are releasing Karl Joseph (Twitter link via Vincent Bonsignore of the Review Journal). The safety returned to the Raiders earlier this year, but it proved to be a short-lived reunion.

I never wanted to leave,” Joseph said earlier this year. “This is my home. I was drafted here. I feel like I was born to be a Raider.”

Joseph would’ve still been a Raider in 2020 if the team hadn’t declined his fifth-year option. The 2016 first-rounder spent last year with the Browns and started eight of 14 games. He finished with his worst ever Pro Football Focus assessment. PFF viewed Joseph as better during his Raiders seasons and slotted him outside the top 70 safeties in 2020. The 27-year-old (28 in September) made 67 tackles, intercepted a pass and recovered two fumbles with Cleveland. He also added a playoff interception in Kansas City.

It felt like the right decision was to come back and help finish what I started here and be a part of that,” Joseph said back in April. “All the pieces are there. I think we’re ready to win. So whatever I’m going to need to do to help us win, that’s what I am going to do.”

Joseph won’t get that opportunity. Instead, he could be en route to his third pro team.

Comment

Working...
                                X