• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As expected, labor shortages impact NFL stadiums

Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2021, 7:56 PM EDT

Getty Images

It was expected. It’s now happening.

Via Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, NFL stadiums have experienced challenges when it comes to hiring game-day workers.

At SoFi Stadium and at least three other stadiums, staffing issues arose last weekend, the first of the preseason.

Fischer reports that teams and stadiums are optimistic that they can hire enough workers before the regular season commences. One cause is believed to be enhanced unemployment benefits. However, as one team executive said, “A lot of these people are retirees,” which will make them more inclined to avoid crowds as the Delta variant continues to spread.

In the end, the NFL and its teams will find a way to continue to separate fans from their money. It may just cost a little more money to do it. Presumably, those costs will be passed along to the consumer, in some way.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I suppose that's the thrust of it; a lack of consistency.

Comment

• One of the most tiring things about the NFL is every year there is a point of emphasis. It is exhausting.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          One of the most tiring things about the NFL is every year there is a point of emphasis. It is exhausting.
          It like every year the NFL twists itself into knots trying to say, "Yeah, we know our refs suck" without actually saying, "Yeah, we know our refs suck."

Comment

• The point of emphasis is to have a point of emphasis.

Watched some of the Patriots vs Eagles game last night. Pats are stacked at RB. Harris, Michel, White, Stevenson, and Taylor. Interested to see if they keep 5 RBs. JJ Taylor is someone that should have interest if he is the odd man out.

Mac Jones looks really good, granted it’s preseason. Don’t want to overreact to anything like I mentioned with Justin Fields.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I'd bet the over on the Pats. They had a ton of critical guys opt out last year. Then injuries. On top of trying to integrate Cam with no off season. The QB Jesus people proclaiming that they were bad (still had a better record then a third of the league BTW) because Brady left may find that take sour over the course of the year. IMHO, it is a toss up btwn NE and KC in the AFC. I still think Baker holds the Browns back from beating either of them.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• He cracked the crap out of that guy! Great picture.

Bruce Arians won’t punish Antonio Brown or other players for fighting during practice with Titans

Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2021, 4:45 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The Buccaneers and Titans had several skirmishes during practice on Thursday, headlined by a scrum involving receiver Antonio Brown. Tampa Bay coach Bruce Arians won’t be doing anything about it.

Arians told reporters he won’t punish any of his players for any fights that happened on Thursday.

Brown at one point was ejected from practice for ripping off the helmet of Titans cornerback Chris Jackson. Brown, who returned after cooling off, landed a solid left hook (as the attached photo demonstrates).

Arians also was happy with the overall experience coming from two days of practices with the Titans.

“Really pleased with the work we’ve gotten the last two days — extremely good competition,” Arians said. “Obviously, it always happens when the flyers and the gunners get together, something starts. But it was spirited, it was great practice and I really appreciate the Titans for coming down here and helping us get better, and hopefully we made them better.”

The incident with Brown and Jackson happened during one-on-one drills, not during a special-teams period.

Arians also was happy that the offense was sharper on Thursday than on Wednesday, when he was upset about dropped passes.

“I think yesterday [was] a little bit of the newness and some of that,” Arians said. “Coaches got on their ass pretty good, too.”

He added that the Buccaneers were hungrier on Thursday, and that it showed in their performance. Three Thursdays from now, the time comes for the Bucs to begin performing at a much higher level, when they host the Cowboys for the first game of the 2021 regular season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                  I'd bet the over on the Pats. They had a ton of critical guys opt out last year. Then injuries. On top of trying to integrate Cam with no off season. The QB Jesus people proclaiming that they were bad (still had a better record then a third of the league BTW) because Brady left may find that take sour over the course of the year. IMHO, it is a toss up btwn NE and KC in the AFC. I still think Baker holds the Browns back from beating either of them.
                  They should be better.
                  I would have a difficult time deciding on the Pats O/U of 10.5 wins in 2021. Vegas has this close to right.
                  Newton is more comfortable in the offense. RB, WR, TE, and OLine are all better for them. Defense should be better with their FA signings and opt outs coming back. If Stephon Gilmore can play up to his ability, that's a plus. I'm guessing Belichick is motivated after seeing Brady get a ring in TB. All of their issues last season and the Pats still were 7-9.

It will surprise me if the Patriots don't bounce back.
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

They should be better.
                    I would have a difficult time deciding on the Pats O/U of 10.5 wins in 2021. Vegas has this close to right.
                    Newton is more comfortable in the offense. RB, WR, TE, and OLine are all better for them. Defense should be better with their FA signings and opt outs coming back. If Stephon Gilmore can play up to his ability, that's a plus. I'm guessing Belichick is motivated after seeing Brady get a ring in TB. All of their issues last season and the Pats still were 7-9.

It will surprise me if the Patriots don't bounce back.
                    BB is always motivated

Comment

• Patriots’ plane will deliver supplies to Haiti to aid earthquake recovery

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 20, 2021, 12:26 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Patriots are stepping up to assist in the earthquake recovery effort in Haiti.

New England’s team plane, a Boeing 767, will be loaded up with supplies and medical equipment today and fly from Boston to Haiti tomorrow morning, according to CBS 4 in Boston.

Haiti was hit last week by a massive earthquake that left more than 2,000 dead, more than 12,000 injured and many more homeless.

This is not the first time the Patriots’ plane has been used for good causes. Dozens of vaccinated health care workers got a free trip to the Super Bowl aboard the Patriots’ plane this year, and the Patriots’ plane went to China to pick up 1.2 million N95 masks for health care workers last year.

Comment

• I remember seeing that plane at Metro Airport when they were here. I can't remember if they were here for a game or for a joint practice.
                        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Browns have a couple interesting stories.
                          Malik McDowell might actually make their roster. Amazing comeback story for him if that happens. I totally forgot that the Browns signed McDowell. Former top 10 talent that slipped in the draft. Scary ATV accident shortly after being drafted.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, the top 10-15 draft talent from 2021 that slipped to the 2nd RD, is standing out. No surprise there.

I might find myself temporarily rooting for the Browns this year after the Lions are out of it. Very likable team with a recent losing history that compares to the Lions.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Dolphins put Lynn Bowden Jr. on IR, cut three

Posted by Josh Alper on August 24, 2021, 4:12 PM EDT

Getty Images

Dolphins wide receiver Lynn Bowden Jr. limped off the field with a hamstring injury during a joint practice with the Falcons last week and he won’t be back on the field for Miami at all this year.

The Dolphins put Bowden on injured reserve Tuesday as they cut their roster down to 80 players. Bowden will not be eligible to return this season unless the Dolphins release him and he signs with another team.

Bowden was a Raiders third-round pick in 2020 and he was traded to the Dolphins before the start of the season. He had 28 catches for 211 yards and nine carries for 32 yards in 10 games as a rookie.

The Dolphins also released offensive lineman Jermaine Eluemunor and wide receiver Isaiah Ford while waiving wide receiver Robert Foster with an injury designation.

Comment

• Travis Etienne officially out for season

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 24, 2021, 3:32 PM EDT

Getty Images

Jaguars running back Travis Etienne will mis his entire rookie season.

The Jaguars put Etienne on injured reserve today, which means he will not play at all in 2021. The move had been expected after tests today revealed he suffered a serious foot injury in last night’s preseason game.

The Jaguars surprised everyone by taking Etienne with the 25th overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft. They really didn’t need a running back, and Urban Meyer said Etienne may play wide receiver instead, but now he won’t play at all as a rookie.

Jacksonville will now hope Etienne can get healthy and become a contributor in Year 2.

Comment

• George Kittle sees “new energy” on 49ers defense with Nick Bosa back in team drills

Posted by Josh Alper on August 27, 2021, 6:51 AM EDT

Getty Images

49ers defensive end Nick Bosa‘s path back to the lineup after last year’s torn ACL progressed to participation in team drills this week and tight end George Kittle said not much has changed about his teammate.

Kittle said “Nick Bosa’s Nick Bosa,” which means he is playing at “a high level, physical, fast” on the 49ers’ defensive front. Those are positives for the defense, as is the impact that Bosa’s presence has on the other 10 players on the unit.

“I know he’s happy to be back, and I know that he’s feeling great,” Kittle said, via 49ersWebZone.com. “I mean, he just brings a new energy to our defense too because when Nick Bosa is on the field, you got to kind of put a lot of attention on him, and it opens up a lot of things for our defense.”

Game action is the next step for Bosa. That will likely come against the Lions in Week One and Detroit will likely follow Kittle’s advice when it comes to paying attention to what he can do off the edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X