NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL'S BEST COACHES 2021

Patrick Daugherty ranks and evaluates all 32 of the NFL's coaches, including this year's seven new hires.
    MORE

1. Bill Belichick, Patriots
    Career Record: 280-136 (.673)
    With The Patriots Since: 2000
    Last Year’s Ranking: 1

Bill Belichick is a black box. For as expansive as he can be on matters of NFL history or special teams strategy, he won’t provide a window into the thought process that allowed Tom Brady to depart in free agency. Was 2020’s 7-9 record — the Patriots’ first losing season since 2000 — considered a painful necessity all along? Or was it a rare piece of humble pie for a genius who thought he could immediately put his co-icon behind him? Whatever it was, it was in keeping with one of Belichick’s most famous practices: It’s better to be one year too early instead of one year too late. In this case, Belichick’s too early was someone else’s Super Bowl championship. Probably not the result he expected, but it was the process he was always going to follow. Belichick was wrong, as he often is. His gift remains being the least wrong in a business where mistakes are a part of daily life.

Kevin Stefanski is too low. He should be a lot higher

Matt LaFleur and Matt Nagy, should be lower.

New Hires (In Alphabetical Order)

Dan Campbell, Lions
    Career Record: 5-7 (.417)

One way to know you’ve made an interesting hire? One of his suggested Google searches is “kneecaps.” By now you know all about The Quote. Dan Campbell is here to take your kneecaps, etc. Taking Campbell at face value, he is throwing the modern football car into reverse. Smash-mouth defense, running the ball, etc. If you dig a little deeper, there was something new age-y in his initial comments. “I'm a big mind-over-matter person and a lot of you are going to think I'm a kook a little bit here, but I do believe you can will things to happen in some regard,” Campbell said. "If you're a really positive thinker, I think positive things can happen to you and those around you. … They feel your energy." Campbell, who was prone to these sorts of asides during his long-forgotten tenure as Dolphins interim coach, stayed player-friendly with his hires, stocking his staff with one recently retired NFLer after another. We laugh, but the tone certainly needed changing in Detroit, especially after the ludicrously pompous Matt Patricia era. At worst for the Lions, Campbell is a readymade fall guy for yet another rebuild. The best-case scenario is that he puts a modern spin on football’s oldest clichés of toughness and determination, shaking up an organization in dire need of being stirred.
    The author has only looked into DC's initial presser. Well, at least the treatment is consistent of the Lions.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• ZACH ERTZTE, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports "at least three" teams are interesting in trading for Eagles TE Zach Ertz.

Fowler said trade talks for Ertz could pick up this week, and that the Eagles wouldn't part with the 30-year-old tight end "for nothing in return." Fowler described the interested trade partners as "tight end needy" teams, which could mean the Bills, Jaguars, Cardinals, Bengals, Chargers, or Panthers. Ertz, who recorded at least 75 receptions every season from 2015 to 2019, did not attend Philadelphia's voluntary offseason workouts last week. His departure would lead to a target bump for Dallas Goedert. Ertz as Buffalo's primary pass-catching tight end would be intriguing for fantasy purposes. Last year, Bills tight ends were largely phased out of the team's rampaging passing attack. That would likely change if the Bills acquired Ertz.

... See More
      RELATED:
      SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
      Jun 1, 2021, 9:43 AM
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• JOSH ALLENQB, BUFFALO BILLS
        NFL players who don't get the COVID-19 vaccine will be required to stay in town during their team's bye week and be tested for the virus every day.

NBC Sports' Peter King reported on an unspecified team that had 65 of its 90 players vaccinated against COVID. That team would need another dozen players to get the jab before they can return to pre-COVID meeting and practice schedules. NFL teams with vaccination rates below 85 percent will have to keep running practices and meetings like they did in 2020. The Bills have become the most prominent vaccine-skeptical team, as Josh Allen and Cole Beasley have said they need to do more "research" before they sign up for the vaccine. Teams that can revert to pre-COVID practices will have distinct advantages over those who can't.

... See More
        SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com
        May 31, 2021, 12:06 PM

Comment

• AARON RODGERSQB, GREEN BAY PACKERS
          The Athletic's Matt Schneidman reports Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst "will not" trade Aaron Rodgers this summer.

Confirmation of Gutekunst's refusal to part with Rodgers comes as an important deadline approaches. If the team were to trade Rodgers after June 1, it would free up $16.05 million in salary cap space this year; the team would absorb a $21.152 million dead money hit. Green Bay would be dealt a $38.356 million dead money charge if they traded the NFL MVP before June 2. Rodgers has made it clear that his grievance is not with the team's coaches or players, but with Gutekunst and the Packers' front office. If Rodgers chooses retirement over returning to Green Bay, he wouldn’t collect the remaining $23 million in signing bonuses on his contract and the Packers could recoup the $6.8 million roster bonus Rodgers recently signed. That would leave Jordan Love and Blake Bortles as the Packers' QBs headed into 2021. Hello darkness, my old friend.

... See More
          RELATED:
          SOURCE: The Athletic
          May 31, 2021, 10:05 AM

Comment

• 49ers Cut Josh Johnson

June 1st, 2021 at 3:15pm CST by Zachary Links

The 49ers have released quarterback Josh Johnson (Twitter link via NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport). In a related move, the Niners have added wide receiver Andy Jones to their 90-man offseason roster.

Johnson, who just turned 35, hooked on with the 49ers last November. Previous to that, he was last seen with the Los Angeles Wildcats of the XFL. He could have been on an NFL roster sooner — the Lions offered him a contract, but the XFL stepped in and blocked it.

Over the years, Johnson has signed deals with 13 different teams. That includes multiple stints with the 49ers in 2012, 2014, and 2020. It remains to be seen whether Johnson will pursue another season in the league, but there’s always a market for experienced QBs like him.

Of course, Johnson’s odds of making the final cut weren’t all that great anyway. The 49ers have Jimmy Garoppolo installed as their starter with first-round pick Trey Lance waiting in the wings. That leaves Nick Mullens and Josh Rosen to compete for one — or perhaps zero — QB spots on the 53-man roster.

Comment

• We passed on the next Dak for a potential franchise LT. We'll see how it plays out. Fields is the real deal, btw.

Comment

• Maybe. We’ll get a close look at Fields for the next several years.

Interested to see what happens there because:
                - Bears have had a tough time at QB historically.
                - Bears GM Ryan Pace has shown poor judgment when it comes to selecting QBs prior to 2021. Includes picking Trubisky over Watson and Mahomes.
                - Ohio State QBs haven’t been successful in the NFL.

So many negatives, maybe it’s a positive. Double negative = a positive.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                  I was actually trolling. IF they wanted him that bad they could have went after 9 or 10.

IF they wanted to trade up, it was probably for Sewell is my guess.

But you do know OSU has not played the same SYSTEM over all these years right? And Fields was a good QB before going there. Wish bad on the kid, but he has as much of a chance to succeed as any of the QBs taken. I'm not going to wish bad on him because the Lions' FO went another way.
                  Call it what you want about Ohio QBs but they’ve never had any success in the NFL. Pryor, Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Krenzel, Cardale Jones, Haskins. You have to go all the way back to Mike Tomczak as the only one that’s sniffed anything as a decent pro career.

There’s a reason why he didn’t get drafted in the top 10 with so many QB hungry teams. At some point the college system
                  has to come into play. Everyone ganged up on why Mac Jones didn’t deserve to be picked by San Fran since he was surrounded by all the talent but Ohio QBs get a free pass? That’s retarded
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Call it what you want about Ohio QBs but they’ve never had any success in the NFL. Pryor, Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Krenzel, Cardale Jones, Haskins. You have to go all the way back to Mike Tomczak as the only one that’s sniffed anything as a decent pro career.

There’s a reason why he didn’t get drafted in the top 10 with so many QB hungry teams. At some point the college system
                    has to come into play. Everyone ganged up on why Mac Jones didn’t deserve to be picked by San Fran since he was surrounded by all the talent but Ohio QBs get a free pass? That’s retarded
                    We’re any of those guys expected to be legitimate NFL prospects? Maybe Haskins?

Comment

• Craig Krenzel = Justin Fields, great take dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post

We’re any of those guys expected to be legitimate NFL prospects? Maybe Haskins?
                        Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        Craig Krenzel = Justin Fields, great take dude.
                        Which basically proves my point that the Ohio system has made meh prospects look like world beaters in college but not so much in the NFL.

Fields is an incredible athlete but so was Pryor. See how that panned out. Now when Fields doesn’t pan out you schlep rocks will blame it on Chicago. Line up your excuses boys!
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• My take is a quarterback's collegiate program has no predictive value in the player's NFL career. More specifically, you certainly aren't making any sort of convincing argument other than that you are a Wolverine stuck in the 70's with 10 year war nonsense.

Successful quarterbacks come from all over. Using the theory of Jad, you could make the argument against every one of these quarterbacks drafted this year. Also if you look at the top quarterbacks over the course of the NFL, you would be hard pressed to find any quarterbacks whose success was predicted because of the college they came from.

Comment

• Conventional wisdom said that QBs from Jeff Tedford's system couldn't make it in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers disagrees.
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Exactly right

Brett Favre came from Southern Mississippi, not a QB hotbed
                              Russell Wilson came from Wisconsin/NC State
                              Pat Mahomes came from quarterback factory Texas Tech

Joe Montana came from ND, has their been a successful quarterback from ND since other than journeyman Steve Buerlein?

The fact is Justin Fields is more likely to bust, because most quarterbacks either bust or are just average. The very successful quarterbacks come from random places.

Comment

• Several starting NFL QBs do indeed come from mid-tier to small college football programs. Mahomes, Ryan, Allen, Rodgers, Cousins, Wilson, Rivers, Carr, Goff, Roethlisberger, Bridgewater, D Jones, Lamar, Lock, Brees, and Wentz.

Ohio State is an elite program. It's weird that they haven't had a quality NFL QB come from their program. You can say the same about Alabama in recent history. TBD about Tua.

Now... you do have elite programs that have produced quality NFL QBs. Oklahoma, Clemson, Michigan (*M is not elite anymore).

I'm not personally saying "Fields will be a bust because he went to Ohio State." Simply saying Fields will break some norms if he is successful with the Bears.
                                - Ohio State QBs suck in the NFL.
                                - Bears QBs are usually underwhelming.
                                - Ryan Pace can't find a quality QB.

Was totally OK with the Lions taking Fields at #7 if Sewell or Chase weren't there.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X